Mitigating Burnout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IR3A4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all - I'm strongly considering Pulm/CC. I really enjoy the medicine of it, but I know I may also just be bright-eyed right now and maybe just love the IBCC podcast too much bahaha. Reading and hearing about crit care from more seasoned folks usually results in them describing how tired and burned out they are.

What do you consider the factors to this burnout, how do you/would you mitigate them? When looking for jobs what do you look for to reduce these factors? I'm personally interested in working in an academic center in a major city (I'm from NYC). However, I'd be willing to reconsider this if there are "healthier" options I should be considering.

Thanks!

P.S. - I know there are threads on this already, but the last decent one (more than 2 posts heh) was from 2016 and things change and the people here today may provide different insight than those then.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all - I'm strongly considering Pulm/CC. I really enjoy the medicine of it, but I know I may also just be bright-eyed right now and maybe just love the IBCC podcast too much bahaha. Reading and hearing about crit care from more seasoned folks usually results in them describing how tired and burned out they are.

What do you consider the factors to this burnout, how do you/would you mitigate them? When looking for jobs what do you look for to reduce these factors? I'm personally interested in working in an academic center in a major city (I'm from NYC). However, I'd be willing to reconsider this if there are "healthier" options I should be considering.

Thanks!

P.S. - I know there are threads on this already, but the last decent one (more than 2 posts heh) was from 2016 and things change and the people here today may provide different insight than those then.
I don’t know, but if you figure it out… tell the Wellness Committee cause their ideas are…

1666822015202.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Only way to mitigate burnout that I know of is to work less.

When you're working, have a job that doesn't suck. What does that mean? I dunno it's different for everyone. For me it entails:
- having partners that I trust, respect and genuinely enjoy
- work for a group that values you.
- work for a hospital that doesn't suck
- stay out of academics (this is just me)

For me the biggest thing was learning to be a person again after med school, residency and fellowship - after those bastards tried to beat it out of me (and to some degree succeeded). You'll do more for your patients by spending your off time growing as a person than delving into journals.

The truth is that medically, there is only so much we can do for people, and it's far less than most people think we can do. So really all you can do is find a way to connect with people, and you can't do that as a doctor, only as a person. There's too much medicine taught in residency and fellowships. Not enough of what really matters when it comes down to it - how to really communicate with people, teach them to handle what's coming, and guide them through it. Set proper expectations, only then can you meet them and exceed them.

PS don't make life choices that lead to your dependence on this career. Pay off debt, save wisely, live below your means.

too long? Summary:
- work less
- work at a job that doesn't suck
- be a person
- be smart with your money

Reactions: 13 users
Only way to mitigate burnout that I know of is to work less.

When you're working, have a job that doesn't suck. What does that mean? I dunno it's different for everyone. For me it entails:
- having partners that I trust, respect and genuinely enjoy
- work for a group that values you.
- work for a hospital that doesn't suck
- stay out of academics (this is just me)

For me the biggest thing was learning to be a person again after med school, residency and fellowship - after those bastards tried to beat it out of me (and to some degree succeeded). You'll do more for your patients by spending your off time growing as a person than delving into journals.

The truth is that medically, there is only so much we can do for people, and it's far less than most people think we can do. So really all you can do is find a way to connect with people, and you can't do that as a doctor, only as a person. There's too much medicine taught in residency and fellowships. Not enough of what really matters when it comes down to it - how to really communicate with people, teach them to handle what's coming, and guide them through it. Set proper expectations, only then can you meet them and exceed them.

PS don't make life choices that lead to your dependence on this career. Pay off debt, save wisely, live below your means.

too long? Summary:
- work less
- work at a job that doesn't suck
- be a person
- be smart with your money

Thanks for your input, very sound advice especially about being a person. I probably should've known that as that's something I tout to my classmates when they see me going about my hobbies. I guess the secret sauce was in front of me all along.