MITOCHONDRIAL Cytopathies: your suggestions,please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zelenkov

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, students,
Please give your suggestions...

As mother to a little girl who has mitochondrial disease (we have only been able to identify congenital lactic acidosis so far), I want to promote awareness of this disease, or rather group of diseases, among the newer generation of medical professionals -- you!

My husband and I are just now wading through the murky waters of these mitochondrial mysteries. We would like to ask you -- whether you are students or already full-fledged medical professionals -- if these diseases are studied at med school? Is information readily available about internships or residencies in the field of mito medicine? Are there scholarships available in this field? Does your school provide speakers (med profs or affected families)?

Have you heard of the United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation (www.umdf.org)?

Most especially, please tell us dear friends, what do you suggest could promote awareness of mitochondrial cytopathies among your generation of med students? We would love to hear your ideas!!

We are trying so hard to turn the negatives into positives by promoting awareness of mito, but it is so frustrating.

I look forward to your comments and thank you in advance for your energy -- such a key word here -- in responding!

Respectfully, Susan Zelenko
Doctor of Momology!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm only in my first year, but we covered mitochondrial pathologies briefly with our genetics core, and then will learn more about them in second year which is dedicated largely to disease pathology.

So far it seems that the hospital geneticists (b/c of the nature of the inheritance), in combination with some of the basic science researchers, are the ones providing us with our education on this subject--as well as on a billion other things that can go wrong with cellular processes.

We don't usually get speakers on such things since we are already cramming so much information into each lecture. They are already condensing the information a great deal. As far as I can tell there really isn't the luxury of taking time to devote one whole lecture, or even half of one to guest speakers on such topics.

Rest assured that we do learn *something* about these diseases, but we have so much else to learn too. I guess I can't say where guest lecturers might fit in.

--kris

Originally posted by zelenkov:
•Hello, students,
Please give your suggestions...

As mother to a little girl who has mitochondrial disease (we have only been able to identify congenital lactic acidosis so far), I want to promote awareness of this disease, or rather group of diseases, among the newer generation of medical professionals -- you!

My husband and I are just now wading through the murky waters of these mitochondrial mysteries. We would like to ask you -- whether you are students or already full-fledged medical professionals -- if these diseases are studied at med school? Is information readily available about internships or residencies in the field of mito medicine? Are there scholarships available in this field? Does your school provide speakers (med profs or affected families)?

Have you heard of the United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation (www.umdf.org)?

Most especially, please tell us dear friends, what do you suggest could promote awareness of mitochondrial cytopathies among your generation of med students? We would love to hear your ideas!!

We are trying so hard to turn the negatives into positives by promoting awareness of mito, but it is so frustrating.

I look forward to your comments and thank you in advance for your energy -- such a key word here -- in responding!

Respectfully, Susan Zelenko
Doctor of Momology!•••

Greetings Doctor Mom,

It is refreshing to see those faced with lifes challenges react in such a positive way.

Mitochondrial diseases are indeed studied in medical school, although I would hesitate to say 'extensively'. There is unfortunately a limited amount of information that can be crammed into 4 short years. Course directors have to balance out the curriculum in such a way that students recieve the most relevant and best education. What this often means is rarer diseases on the whole, don't get 'extensive' coverage. We are usually able to hit most of em at some point, but not necessary as extensively as a more common disease entity like diabetes.

In fact, I would bet my bank account that you probably know more about this than most of us.

I doubt that a large number of med students/residents/fellows/attendings have heard about specific foundations for some these diseases, other than knowing that they do exist. The internet has played a phenomenal role in compiling resources and uniting members dispersed piecemeal around the globe.

I think what you are doing is a fantastic way to promote awareness. What I have often seen done is patients volunteering at specific medical schools. Very often didactic sessions have a patient 'model' who is available during the lecture to answer specific questions from the med students about the disease. This would be a very powerful way spread the word, and instill a lasting impression on our budding physicians. To this day I have lasting memories of patients who fielded questions in this way.

Best wishes and warmest regards to you and your family, and most especially to that darling little girl. :)