Suggestion for Clinical electives in US [IMG]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TheMost

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Greetings Everyone !

I am expecting my graduation around Jan 2018 and I am planning to do clinical electives in US before step1.

I heard that when you do electives in a very competitive place, it is very difficult to obtain an LOR and also we get only a generic LOR unless we perform exceptionally good. Is this true ? So, is it wise to do electives at a decent place and try to get an LOR? I'm so confused over this.

Also I've heard somewhere that apply to universities that are known to take IMG in their residency programs, So that you will have a LOR from the same institution when you go for an interview and you might get matched their itself. Is this true ?

I am an IMG
Please rank the following (Considering LOR and IMG friendliness if it true)

  • FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine
  • University of Illinois medical
  • University of Alabama
  • Hackensack Med university
  • Mt Sinai

I'm also considering to apply to Weill cornell and Yale ( they don't need step1 ) and try my luck.

Any other suggestions are welcome 🙂

Thank You.
 
Greetings Everyone !

I am expecting my graduation around Jan 2018 and I am planning to do clinical electives in US before step1.

I heard that when you do electives in a very competitive place, it is very difficult to obtain an LOR and also we get only a generic LOR unless we perform exceptionally good. Is this true ? So, is it wise to do electives at a decent place and try to get an LOR? I'm so confused over this.

Also I've heard somewhere that apply to universities that are known to take IMG in their residency programs, So that you will have a LOR from the same institution when you go for an interview and you might get matched their itself. Is this true ?

I am an IMG
Please rank the following (Considering LOR and IMG friendliness if it true)

  • FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine
  • University of Illinois medical
  • University of Alabama
  • Hackensack Med university
  • Mt Sinai

I'm also considering to apply to Weill cornell and Yale ( they don't need step1 ) and try my luck.

Any other suggestions are welcome 🙂

Thank You.


Get an elective at the best institution that allows you to rotate there (don't waste your money either, Yale is $$$), rotate in your residency specialty of interest, perform well, ask for a letter (ask someone that you impressed). If you are not good, your letter will be mediocre and likely generic. It's not so complicated.
 
Get an elective at the best institution that allows you to rotate there (don't waste your money either, Yale is $$$), rotate in your residency specialty of interest, perform well, ask for a letter (ask someone that you impressed). If you are not good, your letter will be mediocre and likely generic. It's not so complicated.

Thank You very much 🙂