Mixed animal internships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nutmeg242

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I know the Internship match site is not up yet, but I was wanting to get some feedback on internships, particularly mixed animal internships. My goal was to always go into equine exclusive medicine, but now that I am in clinics, I have really loved getting to know small animal medicine so I am thinking of more a mixed animal practice now. Does anyone know practices that are small animal and equine that have internship programs? Are there quite a few mixed animal internships out there? Has anyone done a mixed animal internship and have some feedback for me? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I know the Internship match site is not up yet, but I was wanting to get some feedback on internships, particularly mixed animal internships. My goal was to always go into equine exclusive medicine, but now that I am in clinics, I have really loved getting to know small animal medicine so I am thinking of more a mixed animal practice now. Does anyone know practices that are small animal and equine that have internship programs? Are there quite a few mixed animal internships out there? Has anyone done a mixed animal internship and have some feedback for me? Thanks!

Do you plan on doing a residency? Most mixed animal practices dont require an internship and you likely wont see any difference in salary compared to a new grad straight out of school. That said, there a few private practice mixed animal internships, usually with cattle involved too. I remember seeing ones advertised in TX and CO. I went from school straight into mixed practice amd definitely dont feel like Im at a disadvantage without an internship.