Mixing and Matching References

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matcort

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm organizing my references for my PTCAS Application now. I have 2 letters from PTs, one from a professor, and one from an employer. I have a couple questions. Since some schools want a letter from an employer and some want two from a PT, is there a way to mix and match my references so that every school sees the references they want? Or will the schools just read the three that they ask for and ignore the other? And also, my employer was my boss when I worked at Subway. Does that make the reference weaker or are they looking more for somebody who can attest that I can do a good job in general?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

They will get the ones that they want. You don't have to worry about it.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm organizing my references for my PTCAS Application now. I have 2 letters from PTs, one from a professor, and one from an employer. I have a couple questions. Since some schools want a letter from an employer and some want two from a PT, is there a way to mix and match my references so that every school sees the references they want? Or will the schools just read the three that they ask for and ignore the other? And also, my employer was my boss when I worked at Subway. Does that make the reference weaker or are they looking more for somebody who can attest that I can do a good job in general?

Thanks in advance

I am applying as well and I think it is more quality over quantity. The most references my schools ask for is 3, s why add another one if I am not sure that would be as strong as the first three?

Members don't see this ad :)
As a faculty member who was on the admissions committee for several years... we get all letters submitted to PTCAS and not just what we required. We read all you submitted. There were some applicants that had 5 or 6 letters and we only require 3. As long as you had the required ones for us we were ok with it. But read them all.

I had 1 pt, 1 anatomy professor, 1 work supervisor, and 1 pta. They may not read all of your letters but at least you have them in case you were tied and needed something to push you over the edge.