Mizzou vs UW-Madison

Started by Jabroni12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jabroni12

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am still waiting to hear back from two other schools, but so far, I have been admitted to University of Missouri (Mizzou) and University of Wisconsin SMPH.

Wisconsin
Pros:
- In-state tuition
- Public health focus
- More highly ranked
- 1.5 year preclinical
- P/F preclinical
- Some family/friends close by
- Perhaps more research opportunities?

Cons:
- Weather (I lived in WI until a few years ago, the winters are rough for me)
- Partner does not want to move back to WI
- Cost of living much higher
- H/HP/P/F for clinical


Mizzou:
Pros:
- In-state tuition
- Community focus
- Close to where I currently live, friends nearby
- Cheaper cost of living
- P/F preclinical, with honors option in year two
- PBL curriculum
- Block schedule with a week of dedicated exams followed by a week off

Cons:
- Lower tier med school, not sure how much this matters
- 2 year preclinical
- Honors/letters of commendation/satisfactory/unsatisfactory for clinical


Both have great hospital systems, in-house residencies, and are said to have a positive, collaborative culture. Both also have volunteer community clinics which I am very passionate about. I am leaning toward Mizzou but I know WI is a very strong school. I am most interested in anesthesia critical care for a specialty.

I would love to hear from people who are attending/have attended these schools!!!
 
Last edited: