Mizzou's Biomedical Science: Online Master's degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildlifer

LVT hopeful
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have been trying to determine what my next steps should be since I did not get into vet school this round. And while I am still deciding if I want to apply again, I am also looking at other options. Mizzou has this online master's degree that has caught my attention.

http://online.missouri.edu/degreeprograms/biomedical-sciences/index.aspx

Are there any current or former Mizzou students who could shed some light on this program for me? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would go through a 2-yr veterinary technology program, then reapply.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I already have two bachelors degrees and am working at a clinic as an unlicensed tech. I do not see how earning a 2 year tech degree would benefit me....

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, well, maybe you are overqualified. I once met a licensed vet tech who was rejected from vet school because she had too many degrees.

Oh, well, maybe you are overqualified. I once met a licensed vet tech who was rejected from vet school because she had too many degrees.

I am not "overqualified". I know several people who have bachelor's and master's degrees who were successful in getting into vet school and are now successful veterinarians. I was specifically asking about Mizzou's online master's program, not about why I was rejected this round.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone. I have been trying to determine what my next steps should be since I did not get into vet school this round. And while I am still deciding if I want to apply again, I am also looking at other options. Mizzou has this online master's degree that has caught my attention.

http://online.missouri.edu/degreeprograms/biomedical-sciences/index.aspx

Are there any current or former Mizzou students who could shed some light on this program for me? Thanks!
This looks like a really interesting program!!! I'm in the same boat, and might apply for this program after next year! I like this one. (Sorry my response wasn't super helpful- it just seems like an interesting program that could definitely help you in the long run... )

Oh, well, it sounded to me like you were debating between applying for vet school again or going for the online program. Sorry.

This looks like a really interesting program!!! I'm in the same boat, and might apply for this program after next year! I like this one. (Sorry my response wasn't super helpful- it just seems like an interesting program that could definitely help you in the long run... )
I know, it caught my attention and seems like it would be an ideal solution for the situation I am currently in, but want to know more before I decide one way or another!

I know, it caught my attention and seems like it would be an ideal solution for the situation I am currently in, but want to know more before I decide one way or another!
Yeah! Is it all online? Or is it in person? Because that would be really cool to be able to get your MS and work as an unlicensed tech at the same time. Double experience!

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah! Is it all online? Or is it in person? Because that would be really cool to be able to get your MS and work as an unlicensed tech at the same time. Double experience!

I believe it is all online, as I think it is geared towards working techs/veterinarians looking to gain more education.

What's your motivation for doing it? Are you trying to improve your last 45 GPA, make your application more impressive overall, or would it lead to a different career if vet school doesn't work out?

It looks like it's about $11,000 for just tuition (not including fees) if you're out of state, which I think is pretty pricey for a degree that doesn't lead to an obvious career path. Based on the description, it looks a lot like a post-bac or something meant for vet techs who can get a salary bump with a master's degree.

I would definitely do some file reviews before making any decisions. Just retaking some pre-reqs or taking more upper-level classes may be more beneficial and less expensive. (Or maybe adcoms would like to see a master's degree- it's worth asking about. But if so, something with a thesis would be more impressive.)

This isn't good advice for probably 90% of applicants. Vet tech programs are sometimes--but certainly not always--a good choice if you want to be a vet tech. If you want to be a vet, they can add to your debt without adding much to your application.

Reactions: 4 users
What's your motivation for doing it? Are you trying to improve your last 45 GPA, make your application more impressive overall, or would it lead to a different career if vet school doesn't work out?

It looks like it's about $11,000 for just tuition (not including fees) if you're out of state, which I think is pretty pricey for a degree that doesn't lead to an obvious career path. Based on the description, it looks a lot like a post-bac or something meant for vet techs who can get a salary bump with a master's degree.

I would definitely do some file reviews before making any decisions. Just retaking some pre-reqs or taking more upper-level classes may be more beneficial and less expensive. (Or maybe adcoms would like to see a master's degree- it's worth asking about. But if so, something with a thesis would be more impressive.)
I think so far this ^ is excellent advice. While getting a MS is not without merit, the cost and time investment should be considered.
That being said it looks like a very interesting program! They also have Vet Biomedical Technology certificates for 15 credit hours. Am I reading the tuition statement correctly that this certificate option would be around $6,000 ($~400 a credit x 15)? I wouldn't mind taking some of their classes just to further my own education. Principles of Toxicology, Comparative Pharmacology & Veterinary Cytology sound neat.

This isn't good advice for probably 90% of applicants. Vet tech programs are sometimes--but certainly not always--a good choice if you want to be a vet tech. If you want to be a vet, they can add to your debt without adding much to your application.

Thank you for your thoughtful response! My motivation is more for the potential of improving my application or for the possibility of another career should I decide not to pursue vet school any longer. I haven't made any definite decisions yet and do plan on doing file reviews.