MME ?s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schmee90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings all, I have tried to research how MME are actually determined with little success. Does anybody have any good referance articles on how MME was orginally started/determined? Was talking to a colleague who mentioned it was intially started by giving patients differnt meds and asking feedback on how strong these meds were. Sounds pretty out there and I have never been able to find anything online/my ref books other then a bunch of articles on how to calculate MME. I am more interested on how MME was intially deteremined and now changed (ie Tramadol). Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

With limited evidence and a lot of hand waving is my guess. There is this book: Demystifying Opioid Conversion Calculations: A Guide for Effective Dosing which may have some references to how they were determined. I haven't looked at it for quite awhile though.

Reactions: 1 users
When I was a fellow, I had 3 different opioid conversion tables in my pocket. My impression was it was based on clinical experience. CDC standardized them in 2016 with their infamous guidelines.

I think I found an answer to my own Q. interestin paper...posted for others to check out if intersted.