MOC uptodate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neoplastic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it’s time for my 10 year MOC. I was curious and intrigued by the new option to use uptodate during the test - has anyone had experience with the mechanics of this option? Is it available for every question or only some questions/sections?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately it’s time for my 10 year MOC. I was curious and intrigued by the new option to use uptodate during the test - has anyone had experience with the mechanics of this option? Is it available for every question or only some questions/sections?

Thanks in advance.
Is it available for the 10 yr? I thought it was just for the 2 yr check in.

Fwiw the ABIM website states it is available for both. However very little detail is provided.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lawsuit is currently ongoing from my understanding, hopefully ABIM loses. For now, you're screwed to follow the rules and if they lose hope you get some money back after the lawyers get their take.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I've used it, and it's amazingly easy.
1) You have to accumulate the CME hours by being logged in while you're browsing any pages in UptoDate. Make sure you're also registered for MOC by giving UptoDate your board info.
2) Then you just have to claim that CME Credit by answering a couple drop down questions about how you used the info (very easy).
3) Then once the CME credit is claimed, you can then apply to use that CME credit towards MOC.

That's it. Then it should automatically tell the board about the MOC credits.

I believe it's available for both recertification options, just not for initial certification. For the MOC 10 hour, it's something like 3 out of the 4 blocks allow UTD access.

Yep. It's available for both according to the ABIM website.

Looks like they started incorporating UTD back in 2018 for some specialties.

"UpToDate will first be incorporated into ABIM's Internal Medicine and Nephrology Knowledge Check-Ins and Internal Medicine and Nephrology traditional MOC exams in 2018. Access will continue to expand to other specialty assessments through 2018 and 2019. In the future, ABIM will continue to explore incorporating additional resources into MOC assessments."

Any info on using UpToDate during the 10yr MOC examination? It was not allowed when I initially certified.

Are the style/content of test questions going to be changed to reflect the ability to use UpToDate?

Is the idea that there isn't going to be much time to look up things using UpToDate?

How useful is UptoDate for the kinds of questions that are being asked?

Any info on using UpToDate during the 10yr MOC examination? It was not allowed when I initially certified.

Are the style/content of test questions going to be changed to reflect the ability to use UpToDate?

Is the idea that there isn't going to be much time to look up things using UpToDate?

Well instead of memorizing what the difference between babesia and plasmodium look like under a microscope now you can go in to the pathology section of UTD and look at slide images. Same goes when selecting an imaging modality to evaluate pancreatic cancer staging or whether pleuroscopy or mediastinoscopy is needed for appropriate mass evaluation. You know, all the normal stuff a general internist uses on a regular every-day basis!

I did my initial certs without uptodate and recertifications with uptodate. The questions appeared similar to prior so I do not believe their question methodology changed substantially.

I found that there were quite a few questions that I felt more confident about the answer with the use of Uptodate and some where I wouldn't have known the correct answer without looking it up.

The time factor is huge. I have never finished one of the ABIM exams without extra time but where Uptodate was usable I allocated the full amount for each block. You need to be extremely disciplined if you plan to look things up. After 2 minutes you need to move on to another question regardless of whether another few minutes of reviewing articles will help you narrow down the answer. Do not use Uptodate on questions that you are certain about to save time for other questions where that added minute or two may be useful. Do not read the articles, you need to skim for the correct answer and move onto the next question.

In terms of utility, I can only comment on my exams. It was useful for internal medicine, partially useful for pulmonary, partially useful for critical care, not as useful for sleep (but I still used it).