MOCA minute

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anesRJ

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time poster here. Being completely negligent with my MOCA 2.0, I did not answer the MOCA minute questions the last two years-- I was under the (absolute dumb assumption) that this was optional for CME. This year I only finished half and can no longer take any more because only 30 questions can be answered in a day. Very anxious now, but anybody know if this can be made up with the ABA? I finished my fellowship in 2018, so in year 4.

-Worried poster

Members don't see this ad.

I would just email them and ask how to fix this before they come looking for you. They waived the requirements for last year, so that may help your delinquency.
They may make you take the exam again. You don’t want to have to do that.
I know one of my partners was on some kind of double secret MOCA minute probation because she was in “the 1%”. I think they essentially said get your **** together or you’ll have to take the exam to prove competence. She never mentioned it again, so I never brought it up.
Hopefully they let you answer the rest of the questions for this year and you’ll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
So I went to the MOCA website to see what it said, and it looks like if you don’t answer the questions by the end of the year they get counted as incorrect. So if you really did half of them and got most of them correct you might still be OK. I know that one year I got an awful lot wrong like 30% and it still said I was in the 100% passing score range, though I don’t know if they give you the information that way anymore, at least I can’t see it.
If you get a pass for last year and did well enough on the ones you answered you might have dodged a bullet. Also, as I said above, my friend was just threatened with retesting so you may have to perform poorly over multiple years before they say you are not up to date and can’t be recertified without an exam.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I went to the MOCA website to see what it said, and it looks like if you don’t answer the questions by the end of the year they get counted as incorrect. So if you really did half of them and got most of them correct you might still be OK. I know that one year I got an awful lot wrong like 30% and it still said I was in the 100% passing score range, though I don’t know if they give you the information that way anymore, at least I can’t see it.
If you get a pass for last year and did well enough on the ones you answered you might have dodged a bullet. Also, as I said above, my friend was just threatened with retesting so you may have to perform poorly over multiple years before they say you are not up to date and can’t be recertified without an exam.
Thanks so much for your reply. I also saw that the ABA was providing an exemption for 2020 and that any unanswered questions were counted as incorrect. Their office is closed today, but I'll send them an email to hopefully get some more direction and clarification.

Thanks so much for your reply. I also saw that the ABA was providing an exemption for 2020 and that any unanswered questions were counted as incorrect. Their office is closed today, but I'll send them an email to hopefully get some more direction and clarification.
Anesthesia life hack.....get the ABA app on you smart phone. When you're wasting away in a case it's very easy to knock out 5-10 questions and the go back to surfing whatever internet your heart desires. You do that once a week each quarter and you'll have no problem finishing all the questions.

Reactions: 7 users
As long as we’re talking about the MOCA minute, am I the only person that complains about terrible questions? There are several every year that I take the time to comment on and a couple I believed were wrong. One this year I looked at the articles they quoted and I still thought I was right and the articles didn’t support their answer.

As long as we’re talking about the MOCA minute, am I the only person that complains about terrible questions? There are several every year that I take the time to comment on and a couple I believed were wrong. One this year I looked at the articles they quoted and I still thought I was right and the articles didn’t support their answer.
Does anyone take MOCA minute seriously tho? Its useless bureacratic money grab and I will treat it as such. I dont care if the questions are wrong or right... they shouldnt be there.

Just bring back the 250 question exam. Those who were boarded in 2004 and 2005 really got screwed.

Cause ABA alllowed those taking exam (u can take it in year 7 or ur 10 year cycle previously). So those boarded in 2000,2001,2002,2003 all got the option if they took recertification exam 2010 or earlier to cross off 50 questions of the 250. This is why the passing rate was 98%.

Than magically starting with 2011 exam takers. The passing rate fell gradually to 88%

So those who took exam 2010 or earlier got lucky.

Of course Aba changed the rules so those who got boarded 2006 and later didn’t even have to take the exam

I feel like they were worse than normal this year.

also didnt complete moca minute. remembered 1 hr before year ends. and forgot i could only do 30 in one day...

some of the questions are good. some are pure garbage (usually anything related to jhaco)

Just bring back the 250 question exam. Those who were boarded in 2004 and 2005 really got screwed.

Cause ABA alllowed those taking exam (u can take it in year 7 or ur 10 year cycle previously). So those boarded in 2000,2001,2002,2003 all got the option if they took recertification exam 2010 or earlier to cross off 50 questions of the 250. This is why the passing rate was 98%.

Than magically starting with 2011 exam takers. The passing rate fell gradually to 88%

So those who took exam 2010 or earlier got lucky.

Of course Aba changed the rules so those who got boarded 2006 and later didn’t even have to take the exam
I took that written test in 2014. It was like the initial written exam. There weren't gimme questions! I remember I bought a book and studied about the specifics of desflurane vaporizers, copper kettle, halothane etc and those questions were on there . I was shocked. I couldnt believe they were doing this to me. I went to a testing center in which they were completely disrespectful towards me. How can we have gotten to this point? There has got to be another way.

Now with MOCA minute, it simply feels like busy work. Doesn't help anyone. Do I really need the ABA to verify my medical license? Check my CMEs. Cmon!!! It's a money grab that the medical cartels have invented.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't mind MOCA minute. It's the same money grab with taking the exam or doing their sim bull****.

Should all of it disappear? Yes.

Do I think this is the best and least painful iteration of it thus far? Yes.

Reactions: 4 users
I would just email them and ask how to fix this before they come looking for you. They waived the requirements for last year, so that may help your delinquency.
They may make you take the exam again. You don’t want to have to do that.
I know one of my partners was on some kind of double secret MOCA minute probation because she was in “the 1%”. I think they essentially said get your **** together or you’ll have to take the exam to prove competence. She never mentioned it again, so I never brought it up.
Hopefully they let you answer the rest of the questions for this year and you’ll be fine.
They will not let you take the questions. They will gladly take your money knowing you don’t have enough days to finish the questions and then when you call them they say, sorry. Nothing we can do.
Happened to me in 2016. But I am still current. Only had three days left and couldn’t do the last 30.

also didnt complete moca minute. remembered 1 hr before year ends. and forgot i could only do 30 in one day...

some of the questions are good. some are pure garbage (usually anything related to jhaco)
Looks like a lot of people will be doing residency over again..

Have you thought about if you're going to repeat residency in the new york area or will you pick a different location?

• Haha
I don't mind MOCA minute. It's the same money grab with taking the exam or doing their sim bull****.

Should all of it disappear? Yes.

Do I think this is the best and least painful iteration of it thus far? Yes.
Exactly. I think the echo boards should be the same. Just have me answer 200 questions every year and if you really want to be a stickler require the SCA or Echo conference. I think sit down exams are antiquated and several specialties are moving away from it

Just bring back the 250 question exam.

Yeah, no. I would much rather do those BS questions from the comfort of my OR chair than try to cram for a stupid "high stakes" exam once every 10 years.

Reactions: 4 users
Contrarian opinion, but I actually like doing the MOCA questions and think many of them are pretty helpful.

Granted I’m newly out of training and boarded, but I set the categories to mostly general and ambulatory (avoiding my subspecialty and another area I trained in), and find about half the questions are of the ‘huh, that’s a decent topic and quick review fact.’

Like to do just a few each day in the OR , as a nice break from refreshing the stocks widget every 10 minutes or Twitter.

Contrarian opinion, but I actually like doing the MOCA questions and think many of them are pretty helpful.

Granted I’m newly out of training and boarded, but I set the categories to mostly general and ambulatory (avoiding my subspecialty and another area I trained in), and find about half the questions are of the ‘huh, that’s a decent topic and quick review fact.’

Like to do just a few each day in the OR , as a nice break from refreshing the stocks widget every 10 minutes or Twitter.
Its busy work dude.

Did anybody else see that they are finally giving CME for doing the MOCA minute questions? It appears to be 10 Cat 1 CMEs per year. It's still stupid, check the boxes busy work, but at least they are giving CME with it. Cost wise, this makes it a little more palatable

Did anybody else see that they are finally giving CME for doing the MOCA minute questions? It appears to be 10 Cat 1 CMEs per year. It's still stupid, check the boxes busy work, but at least they are giving CME with it. Cost wise, this makes it a little more palatable

Just downloaded certificate and only see 2.5 credits on my end.

It’s such a farce. You need to either be an ASA member or pay $160 to them to get the credits.

Reactions: 3 users
Anesthesia life hack.....get the ABA app on you smart phone. When you're wasting away in a case it's very easy to knock out 5-10 questions and the go back to surfing whatever internet your heart desires. You do that once a week each quarter and you'll have no problem finishing all the questions.
I should really start reading my emails from the ABA more carefully. I can't believe I am just now finding out about this app. Thanks!

So, let's just say somebody doesn't start doing MOCA till year 7 or 8. They login, pay all the back fees, do all the stuff for this year. Get the CME knocked out. Turns out they have enough solidly documented QI stuff to meet all those requirements for the first and second half of the term... but they never did the MOCA minute questions until now. What happens in year 10 when this person would only have done MOCA minute questions for 3 years? I can't find anywhere on the website that explains anything about what happens if you get behind or if there's any way to catch up.