MOCA Patient Safety.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sevoflurane

Ride
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ughh... tyring to pick through the available- very boring- CME credits we are being forced to do.

We need 20 credits to satisfy this part of MOCA.

http://www.theaba.org/PDFs/MOCA/ABA-Approved-PS-CME

What are you guys doing to satisfy this part or MOCA? I am not planning on any meetings.

Members don't see this ad.

Ughh... tyring to pick through the available- very boring- CME credits we are being forced to do.

What are you guys doing to satisfy this part or MOCA? I am not planning on any meetings.
I don't. I'm a D.O. and don't have to do that nonsense. Just a different subset of BS though. The osteopathic loophole!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't. I'm a D.O. and don't have to do that nonsense. Just a different subset of BS though. The osteopathic loophole!
There is a couple DO's in my practice and they do the same MOCA that the rest of us do. Am I missing something here?

There is a couple DO's in my practice and they do the same MOCA that the rest of us do. Am I missing something here?

Me too. MOCA is from the ABA, not the medical board. If you want ABA certification you have to do all of it as far as I know.

I'm gonna take this opportunity to proudly hold up my NBPAS certification and snicker at these ******* requirements that I no longer have to do.

Reactions: 1 users

I did those 20 credits for MOCA. I chose "fundamentals of Patient Safety" for 10 credits. I then selected the other courses to get another 10 credits.

http://www.aobanes.com/ Click on the click. This is a recognized pathway for Board Certification for DOs.

RESOLUTION 56
Resolution 56 defines the certification eligibility for ABMS-certified anesthesiologists seeking primary certification from the AOA through the American Osteopathic Board of Anesthesiologists (AOBA). To be eligible for Resolution 56, Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine must meet the following requirements:
  • Be certified by the ABMS and completed residency training in anesthesiology prior to submitting an application.
  • Be an AOA member in good standing at the time of the applications process. If the candidate is not a current AOA member, he/she will pay the full dues amount at the time of application. (Please note: Membership in good standing is a requirement to maintain AOA certification through the AOBA. To update membership, please contact the AOA's Member Service Center at (800) 621-1773 ext. 8284)
  • Maintain CME hours to fulfill AOA and AOBA requirements.
  • The candidate will not be required to have state of AOCA membership at the time of the application, although is recommended by the AOBA.
  • Candidates will be subject to fees and additional requirements as designated by the AOBA.
  • Candidates may download an application from the AOBA website.
ABMS-certified osteopathic physicians who participated in a clinical pathway (in lieu of completing a residency program in anesthesiology) to achieve ABMS certification may be allowed to enter the certification process under the following conditions: (a) The pathway must have been completed prior to 1995 and (b) the candidate must meet any additional requirements set by the AOBA.
The AOBA recognizes the equivalency of the ABA Written and Oral Examinations to the current AOBA examinations. However, the AOBA still requires a Clinical Examination as part of the certification process, which is not a part of the ABA process. Any candidate entering certification through Resolution 56 in the specialty of anesthesiology must comply with the Policy and Procedures concerning the AOBA Clinical Examination.

You are. They are board certified through the ABA. I am board certified through the AOCA.

I did those 20 credits for MOCA. I chose "fundamentals of Patient Safety" for 10 credits. I then selected the other courses to get another 10 credits.
Did you feel that any of these were useful activities? I won't be sad if your answer is yes, but I suspect it'll be no.

Hmmm, this must not be required for my current cycle that ends December 31 this year

To answer my own question, yes, I am still in "traditional moca" until 2018, when I enter "moca 2.0" with the patient safety crap.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you feel that any of these were useful activities? I won't be sad if your answer is yes, but I suspect it'll be no.
Nope

Click click click through and use the basic sense we all have to answer the stupid questions.

It's all relative though. The Navy makes us all do online training on how to use a government credit card. (Spoiler: no hookers or blow.)

Reactions: 1 users
That explains all that missing knowledge... :D
Hasn't hurt me one iota. I make more than the vast majority of Harvard grad, 250+ USMLE making ass stains so whatever.

No. I paid $210-$250 for the 20 credits. I found the activity useless and it didn't impact my practice in any manner. That's why I done with MOCA after this cycle as I will have completed a ten year cycle and found the entire exercise to be pretty much worthless (except for the ASA ACE and SEE modules). I have lifetime certification but I'm almost done with this ten year cycle giving me another ten years (again worthless for me due to my lifetime certification). I plan on doing the ASA modules each year and will likely join your organization (NBPAS). https://nbpas.org/

Looks like there are two courses that they recommend for 10 credits each to fulfill the requirement. Blade it looks like you are talking about those online courses.

I'll be doing them soon

What kind of time commitment are we looking at here? An hour each? More?

Looks like there are two courses that they recommend for 10 credits each to fulfill the requirement. Blade it looks like you are talking about those online courses.

I'll be doing them soon

Probably 1.5-2 hours for 10 CME credits.

For those complaining about doing patient safety moca. First world problems.

Hey u guys boarded 2006 and later didn't have to take the full 200 question moca written exam and waste a day. Those boarded between 2000-2003 got to cross off 50 questions from their ABA moca exam if taken before 2010. Us 2004/2005 boards docs for the real shaft

So just deal with it. Do the patient safety cme.
I have to do the patient safety thing plus had to take the 200 question moca exam.

I'll be doing them soon

They're both ****. Jump straight to the questions and spend no more than 15 minutes on each of them. Having said that, doing those is still better than logging part 4 activities. I'm new, I'll do this once, then probably go to NBPAS if I have a stable job and can convince the exec committee to recognize it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

For those complaining about doing patient safety moca. First world problems.

Hey u guys boarded 2006 and later didn't have to take the full 200 question moca written exam and waste a day. Those boarded between 2000-2003 got to cross off 50 questions from their ABA moca exam if taken before 2010. Us 2004/2005 boards docs for the real shaft

So just deal with it. Do the patient safety cme.
I have to do the patient safety thing plus had to take the 200 question moca exam.
I would rather take the 200 question-exam than have to deal with all this MOCA Minute crap and yearly payments. This stuff is beyond ridiculous, it's CRNA-level.

I just completed the first patient safety module for 10 CME credits. This was through the ASA website of course.

I'm assuming they will automatically show up on the ABA MOCA 2.0 website under category 2 credits since they are affiliated with ASA.

Is this correct? Or do I need to call or email to get them to give me credit for the 10 CMEs?

It says NOT to manually report any CMEs from affiliated groups

Thanks in advance

I just completed the first patient safety module for 10 CME credits. This was through the ASA website of course.

I'm assuming they will automatically show up on the ABA MOCA 2.0 website under category 2 credits since they are affiliated with ASA.

Is this correct? Or do I need to call or email to get them to give me credit for the 10 CMEs?

It says NOT to manually report any CMEs from affiliated groups

Thanks in advance

It will automatically show up in the next 5-10 business days.