Mock Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Macenat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you guys do a Mock interview, and if so do you think it helped.

Members don't see this ad.

I did a mock interview with my boyfriend, which didn't help. However, if you can find someone who served on an adcom, or who genuinely has knowledge of the kinds of questions they ask-it would probably be worth it. I think DO interviews are not as stressful as MD interviews (having done both now), and the important thing is to look over your app, read the interview feedback on SDN, but to make sure you are friendly and not totally stiff.

yposhelley said:
I did a mock interview with my boyfriend, which didn't help. However, if you can find someone who served on an adcom, or who genuinely has knowledge of the kinds of questions they ask-it would probably be worth it. I think DO interviews are not as stressful as MD interviews (having done both now), and the important thing is to look over your app, read the interview feedback on SDN, but to make sure you are friendly and not totally stiff.

Thanks Shelly!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had an actual interview with my school's "Health Professions Evaluation Committee." It was very stressful but a great experience to have before med school interviews. The interview was with myself and two professors, one non-science and one science. It took over half an hour and was therefore longer than my first med school interview, it also contained tougher questions.

I also did a mock interview with two students already accepted to med school from the previous year. It was helpful, in that they gave me pointers afterwards, but it lacked the stress that comes with the real thing.

Hope this feedback helps!

had an actual interview with my school's "Health Professions Evaluation Committee." It was very stressful but a great experience to have before med school interviews. The interview was with myself and two professors, one non-science and one science. It took over half an hour and was therefore longer than my first med school interview, it also contained tougher questions.

Ditto. My mock interview took about an 1 hour and they were harder on me than PCOM was, which only lasted about 15 minutes. It is nice if you do not interview well.

When I was applying for med school I did a couple mock interviews with my school's Pre-Health Committee. It was good for me because I didn't realize how many times I said "like" and "umm..." until I had someone else point it out to me. They basically gave me pointers on how to speak more formally and not to use words like "like" and "umm..." when I was trying to fill in my moments of silence. But as the others have said, interviews aren't too stressful (and my pre-health committee one was worse, too), so you should be fine.

i think mock interviews are great if you dont know the other person very well. I start to second guess and over analyze myself when I am in an interview like situation.

if you can get a mock interview with your career services people or your premedical committeee....it can help alot. they can help you to sharpen your points about you. even if you cant find a stranger to help you out...your friends can at least run through the Q&A to make sure you know what youre saying....good luck

uclabruin2003 said:
if you can get a mock interview with your career services people or your premedical committeee....it can help alot. they can help you to sharpen your points about you. even if you cant find a stranger to help you out...your friends can at least run through the Q&A to make sure you know what youre saying....good luck

Thank-You Guys!! Im going to do a mock interview with some friends/family, and with someone on the admisison board. Thanks for all of the feedback!