Model of Inconsistency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueElmo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend and I were doing some TPR Verbal passages. We did 2 sets of 3 passages each.
Here were my score breakdwon:

1. 9 (correct)/10 questions
2. 2/6
3. 7/7

4. 5/6
5. 6/6
6. 4/8

I'm at my wit's end. How can I do so well on some passages and totally bomb the others? Obviously I'm doing something right because 1,3,4,5 were very good, but how do I explain 2 and 6? Is it just LUCK? What's more frustrating, these passages were all of similar difficulty,too. And I approached each passage with the same mindset and methods.

My friend also notices inconsistency in his practices. How do we fix this?

Members don't see this ad.

That happens to me, too, and I am sure to many other people. I chalk it up to having a misunderstanding of that particular passage combined with some bad luck. Typically I'll get 5/6, 6/7, and 5/5 followed by a 2/6 or 3/6, for example. Definitely kills the score.

Stay mentally focused on all passages. Do not let one trick you into not pushing hard because you think you know the subject already, or it is boring or too wordy so you zone out a bit, etc. I would definitely make sure you have a good 'main idea' of each passage. See if you understood those bad passages well when you review. Maybe it is just that simple.

Teach yourself never to skim or blank out when reading ANYTHING. Force yourself to pay attention to everything you read even when not studying for the MCAT. That habit helps.

Second, the real MCAT and AAMC practice tests are a lot more consistent than any from the practice companies.

Here's my take

Princeton peddles the avoid the killer passage strategy....
It's a garbage strategy for most people..... To enforce it they make one or two passages in their practice tests beyond awful... students start to think wow I should avoid the killer passage....

Do an AAMC test... there are tough passages and the odd one you may get blown away on but rarely do you have a passage of the difficulty that princeton tries to convince you is there.

Here's my take

Princeton peddles the avoid the killer passage strategy....
It's a garbage strategy for most people..... To enforce it they make one or two passages in their practice tests beyond awful... students start to think wow I should avoid the killer passage....

Do an AAMC test... there are tough passages and the odd one you may get blown away on but rarely do you have a passage of the difficulty that princeton tries to convince you is there.

Haha, yeah I defintiely noticed that. I should really try an AAMC.