• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Modified GPA Calculator for Schools without A-, B-?

johncalvin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
    I downloaded the Excel "AAMCS GPA Calculator" that floats around this website, and I noticed that the AAMCS recognizes "B+" as a 3.3 on the index, and a A- as 3.7

What if my state school doesn't do "A-"? It does A, B+, B, C+, C... Will the B+ be counted as 3.5, then? Thanks!

About the Ads

SirGecko

Go Navy
    10+ Year Member
    Navy
    Feb 27, 2008
    1. Attending Physician
      I'm guessing, and I'm going out on a limb here, that it would be weighted at a 3.6. That sounds like standard GPA range to me they just aren't giving you letters.

Of course I might be totally wrong as I don't really know. That's just what it looks like from here.

shindotp

Membership Revoked
      Removed
      10+ Year Member
      Apr 2, 2008
      1. Pre-Medical
        Yes, I think it is kind of arbitrary and inefficient. I think the A, B+, B, C+ system seems a lot better (at least they're normally distributed increments). So if it's A (100 to 92.5), B+ (92.4 to 87.5), B (87.4 to 82.5), C+ (82.4 to 77.5), etc. that would make sense (0.5 GPA for every 5%). If not, then the 3.5 for B+'s are pretty wack too.

student1799

"Señora” to you, hombre
        10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Jul 8, 2008
        1. Medical Student

armybound

urologist.
          Moderator Emeritus
          10+ Year Member
          Jan 1, 2007
          Uranus
          1. Attending Physician
            Yes, I think it is kind of arbitrary and inefficient. I think the A, B+, B, C+ system seems a lot better (at least they're normally distributed increments). So if it's A (100 to 92.5), B+ (92.4 to 87.5), B (87.4 to 82.5), C+ (82.4 to 77.5), etc. that would make sense (0.5 GPA for every 5%). If not, then the 3.5 for B+'s are pretty wack too.
            ouch, I'd hate to get a B+ for a 92

my school did 90-100 A, 87-89 B+ (3.5), 80-86 B, 77-79 C+ (2.5), etc

HolyGrail

A magnum opus suscipio
            10+ Year Member
            Jun 1, 2008
            At the Right Hand
            1. Medical Student
              I transferred from a school where there were A- and B+ to a place with ABs. ABs suck, exactly the same as this "B+" idea with no A-. 3.5 vs. a 3.7 is huge. It definitely hurts the better students out there and pulls up worse students(Students who normally would get a B+ now get an AB whereas the better students who occasionally get an A- now get an AB... Booo

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.