Molecular and Cellular Basis of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muscme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What undergraduate class would you guys say best prepares a student for the "[FONT=Times NR (routledge)][FONT=Times NR (routledge)][FONT=Times NR (routledge)][FONT=Times NR (routledge)]Molecular and Cellular Basis of Medicine" class for 1st semester DO students?....
[FONT=Times NR (routledge)][FONT=Times NR (routledge)][FONT=Times NR (routledge)][FONT=Times NR (routledge)]....
[FONT=Times NR (routledge)][FONT=Times NR (routledge)][FONT=Times NR (routledge)][FONT=Times NR (routledge)]maybe a cell biology course? physiology? ....
[FONT=Times NR (routledge)][FONT=Times NR (routledge)][FONT=Times NR (routledge)][FONT=Times NR (routledge)]....
[FONT=Times NR (routledge)][FONT=Times NR (routledge)][FONT=Times NR (routledge)][FONT=Times NR (routledge)]any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I can tell you that I took a 4000 level Molec Bio class in undergrad and we have covered everything we learned in there in about 2 lectures. One was in histology and the other lecture was in biochem/genetics. Undergrad cell bio classes go into way more depth than med school will ever care to go. Classes that will be far more helpful will be physiology, anatomy, biochemistry, and maybe genetics

Members don't see this ad :)
bacchus: nope, western. i thought almost every med school had mol and cell basis of medicine - or some similar variant - 1st semester, though.

WU MCBM is essentially biochem, basics of histology, basics of embryology, medical genetics, and excitable cell physiology. Immunology, intro to path, intro pharm, and microbiology is covered in Introduction to Disease, Immunology, and Theraputics (IDIT). Following IDIT we start the systems based curriculum with Blood and Lymph.