Clinical Science research vs Basic Science research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

h23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming that this has been posted in the past, but i'm not sure where I can find an accurate breakdown. Essentially, can people tell me which type of research would be more beneficial to do? My school only offers basic science research and some random medical school student wellness research. While I'm sure that's probably alright in some cases, I feel like that might not help me toward my career goals and allow me to be productive towards matching. I've been debating about if I should contact other schools and see if I can join a research team in a clinical setting and maybe do some research work virtually. I'm interested in radiology and neurology, so I was curious if virtual clinical research work could be feasible for now and then maybe I'd do something in-person over the summer, but I wasn't sure how feasible this plan would be. I assumed that other medical schools would prioritize their students over other random students. Would appreciate any guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

Our wise SDN residents and attendings have broken it down as follows over the years:
Specialty-specific research > non-specialty-specific research > basic science research > UG research >>>>>no research

Keep in mind that not all specialties require research

Reactions: 1 user
Our wise SDN residents and attendings have broken it down as follows over the years:
Specialty-specific research > non-specialty-specific research > basic science research > UG research >>>>>no research

Keep in mind that not all specialties require research
Where do case reports fall into this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where do case reports fall into this?
Either slightly above or below basic science research depending on who's reviewing the app. However, it is a much bigger ROI as basic science requires significantly more work with no guarantee of success (manuscript, abstract, poster, etc.).

Either slightly above or below basic science research depending on who's reviewing the app. However, it is a much bigger ROI as basic science requires significantly more work with no guarantee of success (manuscript, abstract, poster, etc.).
is this why people generally say that clinical research is better than basic science? is it feasible to try and reach out to professors at other institutions if you feel like there aren't many opportunities at your own school for specialty specific research?