Molecular Cell Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Phlebotomist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a transfer student and I wanted to ask you about how you study at top colleges?

I have been accepted to UCLA and UCB and i'm having a difficult time choosing. I want to choose a major that is doable to have above a 3.7 GPA. Any advice for you MD pre meds?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a transfer student and I wanted to ask you about how you study at top colleges?

I have been accepted to UCLA and UCB and i'm having a difficult time choosing. I want to choose a major that is doable to have above a 3.7 GPA. Any advice for you MD pre meds?

1. Read the TB/notes/etc ahead of time; go to office hrs; use your institute's tutor center; work with friends at or slightly above your intelligence level (you want to grow); do a ton of practice problems; get enough sleep before taking exams

2. SDN's general consensus on major is that your specific major doesn't matter. For med school purposes, this tends to be true, however, I still say one should pick a marketable enough major in case the decide against medicine after UG.

Reactions: 1 user
For science class that are NOT math dependent: I draw. Pathways, substrates, alternate pathways; organs, ions going in and out (kidney, liver, pancreas, etc)

For genetics, I drew the NDJ pathways: meiosis I, II, mitosis. For genetics, I also made sure I rewrote all the notes from slides that were relevant and salient. All of my professors have been very good at making sure we were told what areas would be on the exams and I made sure I knew them. Cold. In any form.

For MATH based classes, including biochem, I made sure I could understand the variables, graphs.

For ALL classes, I made sure I understood, "WHY" ...

FWIW, I am an older, non-trad student who works damn hard and notably harder than my younger peers, because I have to. I can't simply look at something and memorize for an exam. It might take me longer to put it into memory but I never forget it. Whereas, my younger peers forget the minute the exam's over.

My alma mater is very well respected research institution in a fly-over state.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For science class that are NOT math dependent: I draw. Pathways, substrates, alternate pathways; organs, ions going in and out (kidney, liver, pancreas, etc)

For genetics, I drew the NDJ pathways: meiosis I, II, mitosis. For genetics, I also made sure I rewrote all the notes from slides that were relevant and salient. All of my professors have been very good at making sure we were told what areas would be on the exams and I made sure I knew them. Cold. In any form.

For MATH based classes, including biochem, I made sure I could understand the variables, graphs.

For ALL classes, I made sure I understood, "WHY" ...

FWIW, I am an older, non-trad student who works damn hard and notably harder than my younger peers, because I have to. I can't simply look at something and memorize for an exam. It might take me longer to put it into memory but I never forget it. Whereas, my younger peers forget the minute the exam's over.

My alma mater is very well respected research institution in a fly-over state.

Thank you so much! You described me I really have to work hard because seeing it once doesn't make things stick in my head. When I learn it though i always do great on exams.

1. Read the TB/notes/etc ahead of time; go to office hrs; use your institute's tutor center; work with friends at or slightly above your intelligence level (you want to grow); do a ton of practice problems; get enough sleep before taking exams

2. SDN's general consensus on major is that your specific major doesn't matter. For med school purposes, this tends to be true, however, I still say one should pick a marketable enough major in case the decide against medicine after UG.

Where do you think I should study? UCB or UCLA? I'm so nervous that I will ruin my life if I go to these two schools

@Cookiepro - either is fine, just do very well. Emphasis on that last point.

@Cookiepro - either is fine, just do very well. Emphasis on that last point.

I'm so scared, because I was a straight D student in HS and changed towards the end. Now a 4.0 CC student I still don't know how I can survive...

By the way do you know what major is easier or good to choose at these top schools?

1. Pick a major you love because if you do not get into medical school, you will have to love what you got a degree in

2. Don't do "easier" ... especially for med school ... adcoms smell that and run; do competitive and do well

If you're truly nervous, go to the student centers for guidance - every major institution has people who want to help others learn to study more effectively and get great grades. Use it. Listen to them.

1. Pick a major you love because if you do not get into medical school, you will have to love what you got a degree in

2. Don't do "easier" ... especially for med school ... adcoms smell that and run; do competitive and do well

If you're truly nervous, go to the student centers for guidance - every major institution has people who want to help others learn to study more effectively and get great grades. Use it. Listen to them.

Thank you sir! If you had the option of UCB or UCLA? Which one would you pick? Thank you for everything thats my last question

Ma'am :) No opinion on either but suspect that UCLA is more rigorous.

Thank you sir! If you had the option of UCB or UCLA? Which one would you pick? Thank you for everything thats my last question

Both are excellent institutions. You have to take a breath and relax for a moment. You, yes you @Cookiepro , got into both schools. This means that the admissions at these schools see that you have the potential to do well there. I would think Berkeley would be a bit more rigorous (my opinion) in STEM. That doesn't mean you should shy away. Embrace the challenge because med school is not going to be an "easy" route anyhow.

I would think Berkeley.
:eek: UCB = Berkeley? :eek:
Another reason I have NO business providing input on CA schools. At OP, I'd go to Berkeley. Hands down. (I thought UCB was Santa Barbara :unsure: )

Both are excellent institutions. You have to take a breath and relax for a moment. You, yes you @Cookiepro , got into both schools. This means that the admissions at these schools see that you have the potential to do well there. I would think Berkeley would be a bit more rigorous (my opinion) in STEM. That doesn't mean you should shy away. Embrace the challenge because med school is not going to be an "easy" route anyhow.

Thank you for your kind words.

Members don't see this ad :)
:eek: UCB = Berkeley? :eek:
Another reason I have NO business providing input on CA schools. At OP, I'd go to Berkeley. Hands down. (I thought UCB was Santa Barbara :unsure: )
That would be UCSB. :p

I prefer to just call it Cal instead of UCB or Berkeley. It typically erases all confusion.

That would be UCSB. :p I prefer to just call it Cal instead of UCB or Berkeley. It typically erases all confusion.
Oh boy. I thought "Cal" was Cal Tech not Berkeley. :unsure: lol ... ~ Ad2b from a fly-over state :) (yes, they all look the same!)

Oh boy. I thought "Cal" was Cal Tech not Berkeley. :unsure: lol ... ~ Ad2b from a fly-over state :) (yes, they all look the same!)
Should we give you a test on California University acronyms? :p You think the UC schools are confusing...just wait until you try to figure out the Cal State school acronyms.

That would be UCSB. :p

I prefer to just call it Cal instead of UCB or Berkeley. It typically erases all confusion.

Cal would absolutely have made me think caltech. Berkeley is the most common name I've heard for UCB, though I'm not sure what the locals would refer to it as.

I wanted to ask you about how you study at top colleges?
IMO, courses generally fall into two categories - the ones where a grade distribution comes from different levels of effort, and the ones where the distribution comes from different levels of ability/understanding.

Courses in psych, for example, tend to be effort-based. There's not a lot of really difficult conceptual stuff in a class on Abnormal Psych, for example, so doing well on a test is going to involve many study hours where you memorize all sorts of DSM criteria, drug names, etc. Nobody does badly on a test because they can't "get it", only because they didn't memorize some piece of information they needed. What separates the A from B from C students is whether they put in the effort to memorize everything, and a student who studied 20 hours is very likely to beat out another who studied for 2 (barring something like photographic memory).

Much of the prereq series topics, esp. Physics/Calc or parts of Chem/Ochem, tends to fall on the other side and be ability-based. People can come into an exam with full knowledge of all equations or mechanisms, yet do badly because they don't have the puzzle-solving ability when presented with novel problems. In a lot of cases, equations will even be provided, and what separates the A from B from C students is how well they "get it" and can problem solve at high speed relative to the others in the class. This is where you can see that frustrating phenomenon where your freak room mate reviewed for an hour while you slaved away all weekend, yet they beat you by a mile on the curve by having insights and creative reasoning that never occurred to you.

Of course there are many cases that fall somewhere in the middle, like Biochem, where you can't do well without both a metric **** ton of memorization and some insights into challenging problems that most people miss.

If you want the highest odds to make a 3.7+ GPA against the kids at Cal, take classes like the first category, and put in the study time.

Cal is def Berkeley not CalTech. They use that nickname to show off that they were the OG UC, founded 50+ years before UCLA

Cal would absolutely have made me think caltech. Berkeley is the most common name I've heard for UCB, though I'm not sure what the locals would refer to it as.
Locals would typically refer to it as Cal or Cal-Berkeley. Cal is the big daddy school of the entire UC system. It is the original University of California...and is very often referred to by that name alone (without the Berkeley attached).

Cal is def Berkeley not CalTech. They use that nickname to show off that they were the OG UC, founded 50+ years before UCLA

Locals would typically refer to it as Cal or Cal-Berkeley. Cal is the big daddy school of the entire UC system. It is the original University of California...and is very often referred to by that name alone (without the Berkeley attached).

Well that's good to know. Now I know the lingo for the next time I'm in the Bay area.

@eteshoe - just don't yell, "LET'S GO CARDS!" :)

IMO, courses generally fall into two categories - the ones where a grade distribution comes from different levels of effort, and the ones where the distribution comes from different levels of ability/understanding.

Courses in psych, for example, tend to be effort-based. There's not a lot of really difficult conceptual stuff in a class on Abnormal Psych, for example, so doing well on a test is going to involve many study hours where you memorize all sorts of DSM criteria, drug names, etc. Nobody does badly on a test because they can't "get it", only because they didn't memorize some piece of information they needed. What separates the A from B from C students is whether they put in the effort to memorize everything, and a student who studied 20 hours is very likely to beat out another who studied for 2 (barring something like photographic memory).

Much of the prereq series topics, esp. Physics/Calc or parts of Chem/Ochem, tends to fall on the other side and be ability-based. People can come into an exam with full knowledge of all equations or mechanisms, yet do badly because they don't have the puzzle-solving ability when presented with novel problems. In a lot of cases, equations will even be provided, and what separates the A from B from C students is how well they "get it" and can problem solve at high speed relative to the others in the class. This is where you can see that frustrating phenomenon where your freak room mate reviewed for an hour while you slaved away all weekend, yet they beat you by a mile on the curve by having insights and creative reasoning that never occurred to you.

Of course there are many cases that fall somewhere in the middle, like Biochem, where you can't do well without both a metric **** ton of memorization and some insights into challenging problems that most people miss.

If you want the highest odds to make a 3.7+ GPA against the kids at Cal, take classes like the first category, and put in the study time.

I'm a person who gets easily distracted in lecture and cannot learn much in such environment. I typically have to teach myself the material. But once I put the effort and understand the concepts. For example, I try to look at the details such as why Mg 2+ has a positive two charge? It's because magnesium has two valence electrons and when removed it becomes positive 2 and why not positive 3? because the high energy required to remove electrons in octet states prevents it being +3. I just do not memorize charges by columns like other students.

Another example is I try to understand why an ester is less reactive than acyl halide. Esters have a carbonyl attached to an oxygen-containing alkyl group. the oxygen adds its electrons through delocalization and thus stabilizing the ester by conjugation. Acyl halides remove electron density thus making the carbonyl more polar thus being more reactive for reactions to occur.

I do not memorize mechanisms or equations blindly I try to find the concept that allows me to make the connections to the equations.

So I assume you would suggest me to go to Cal over UCLA? I have DONE all my pre reqs at CC with a 4.0 which can be disadvantage to some medical schools.

would suggest me to go to Cal over UCLA? I have DONE all my pre reqs at CC with a 4.0 which can be disadvantage to some medical schools.

Yes. Obviously, the admissions group at both schools deemed you suffiiciently prepared to succeed at their respective school. In which case, Cal >>>> UCLA. Hands down.

Both are internationally recognized. Both are known research institutions. Both pump out premeds. And at the end of the day, see... I could go to UCLA only because I like the mascot better ;) Seriously, though?

Berk. And don't look back... unless you really want to live in Hollyweird :)

Yes. Obviously, the admissions group at both schools deemed you suffiiciently prepared to succeed at their respective school. In which case, Cal >>>> UCLA. Hands down.

Both are internationally recognized. Both are known research institutions. Both pump out premeds. And at the end of the day, see... I could go to UCLA only because I like the mascot better ;) Seriously, though?

Berk. And don't look back... unless you really want to live in Hollyweird :)

lol, but if you look at their senior admission rate to medical schools UCLA had a slight edge but overall they were equal in sending students to med school. Its hard decision based on the facts. To me UCB represents a name. UGH...

I'm so scared, because I was a straight D student in HS and changed towards the end. Now a 4.0 CC student I still don't know how I can survive...

By the way do you know what major is easier or good to choose at these top schools?

If you're a transfer admit to UCLA you're the major you applied to. There's like a 5% chance of changing to a non impacted major. Cal will allow transfers to change (well apply to change) majors as long as pre reqs for that major are done by the end of your first semester.

If you're a transfer admit to UCLA you're the major you applied to. There's like a 5% chance of changing to a non impacted major. Cal will allow transfers to change (well apply to change) majors as long as pre reqs for that major are done by the end of your first semester.

but what major in ur opinion is good?

I understand how it can be hard to make a decisions between 2 great schools. Ultimately, you have to go where you'd be happiest and not worry about what some report or admissions generated statistics says.

IF you do very well at either school, you will get into a medical school. It's really a matter of preference. For me? Knowing I'd want what I consider the BEST school for applications?

I would take Berk. BUT, I'm also trying to have an adcom look at me as a reinventionist, whereas, you are not. Therefore, what I would do does not really apply to you.

And I would seriously stop asking people this. It's annoying. Major in what you want and make sure if you want to go to medical school, you take the required pre-reqs.

And get A's.

I understand how it can be hard to make a decisions between 2 great schools. Ultimately, you have to go where you'd be happiest and not worry about what some report or admissions generated statistics says.

IF you do very well at either school, you will get into a medical school. It's really a matter of preference. For me? Knowing I'd want what I consider the BEST school for applications?

I would take Berk. BUT, I'm also trying to have an adcom look at me as a reinventionist, whereas, you are not. Therefore, what I would do does not really apply to you.

And I would seriously stop asking people this. It's annoying. Major in what you want and make sure if you want to go to medical school, you take the required pre-reqs.

And get A's.

sorry confused what do you mean reinventionist lol?

Reinventionist = old fart with @#$ty ugrad grades from 30 years ago trying to prove my worth by getting A's at top universities.

MY alma mater < Berk. My alma mater = UCLA ... Which made me sad to say but it is true. But I do have some pretty fancy grades now ;)

Whatever you're going to be intrigued enough by to be excited to study for long hours. So, ask yourself. Personally, I debated between psychobio at UCLA and public health at Cal and something else at a third school. It's up to you. If you have to work that changes things. Look up average GPAs by majors if that'll help. If 100% of your pre reqs are done, I'd probably pick s non science but take upper div sciences for my elective grad requirements.

Whatever you're going to be intrigued enough by to be excited to study for long hours. So, ask yourself. Personally, I debated between psychobio at UCLA and public health at Cal and something else at a third school. It's up to you. If you have to work that changes things. Look up average GPAs by majors if that'll help. If 100% of your pre reqs are done, I'd probably pick s non science but take upper div sciences for my elective grad requirements.

public health seems to have a really GPA and very interesting lol. Psychobio is the easiest major at UCLA for pre meds i heard lol

MCB for CAL and Molecular Cell and Development Biology for UCLA (But for transfer its easy to switch major i asked)

Someone told you that? Wow. I work in admissions, although not for that UC, and the answer has always been "1 in a million chance" and only to move to a less impacted major. Anyhow, that's very cool. If you aren't going to love what you've chosen than most definitely switch.

Someone told you that? Wow. I work in admissions, although not for that UC, and the answer has always been "1 in a million chance" and only to move to a less impacted major. Anyhow, that's very cool. If you aren't going to love what you've chosen than most definitely change switch.

You been one of the most helpful person on the forums who seems very knowledgeable on majors. So would you choose public health at CAL or Psychobio at UCLA?

You been one of the most helpful person on the forums who seems very knowledgeable on majors. So would you choose public health at CAL or Psychobio at UCLA?

Haha, that's nice. Thanks. I remember asking similar questions when I was in your shoes. The answers that I found that shaped my decision the most surrounded financial aid, continuing my job, location, diversity and surprisingly semester vs quarter system. You're going to spending 2-3 years at this university so chose based on something deeper than a major (that you don't even plan to have a career in).

Haha, that's nice. Thanks. I remember asking similar questions when I was in your shoes. The answers that I found that shaped my decision the most surrounded financial aid, continuing my job, location, diversity and surprisingly semester vs quarter system. You're going to spending 2-3 years at this university so chose based on something deeper than a major.

Thank you for everything OchemOficionado! My questions been answered now I will visit both campus and see which I fit better. Thanks again!

To be honest, you could do great at either or you could crash and burn at either. If you are able to ace your classes at UCLA, you would also be able to do so at Cal. There is not THAT much difference between the two. One is not going to be significantly harder or easier than the other. If you want to use the dreaded US News rankings (I personally hate these!) the two schools are the #1 and #2 ranked public universities in the country. If you do well at either school, you will very likely get into med school. If you don't, you won't.

I think you should choose be which school you think you would be happiest at without regard to the academics or reputations. Where do you feel you'd fit in and be more comfortable? Which school gives you the warm fuzzies? Use that as your deciding factor. I assume you have already visited both schools? Which felt better to you?

helpful hint: If you're a guy...the girls at UCLA are cuter. AND... they shave their armpits and legs (old UCLA joke about Cal girls).

edit: oops, I see you have not visited the schools yet. You REALLY need to do that. And as someone brought up in a post above...consider the difference between the quarter and semester systems. Personally I preferred the quarter system at UCLA. It really keeps you on your toes and you can't get behind. It also allows for only 10 weeks of material to study for the finals. And if you get a professor you hate, you only have to deal with him for 10 weeks intsead of an entire semester!

To be honest, you could do great at either or you could crash and burn at either. If you are able to ace your classes at UCLA, you would also be able to do so at Cal. There is not THAT much difference between the two. One is not going to be significantly harder or easier than the other. If you want to use the dreaded US News rankings (I personally hate these!) the two schools are the #1 and #2 ranked public universities in the country. If you do well at either school, you will very likely get into med school. If you don't, you won't.

I think you should choose be which school you think you would be happiest at without regard to the academics or reputations. Where do you feel you'd fit in and be more comfortable? Which school gives you the warm fuzzies? Use that as your deciding factor. I assume you have already visited both schools? Which felt better to you?

helpful hint: If you're a guy...the girls at UCLA are cuter. AND... they shave their armpits and legs (old UCLA joke about Cal girls).

edit: oops, I see you have not visited the schools yet. You REALLY need to do that. And as someone brought up in a post above...consider the difference between the quarter and semester systems. Personally I preferred the quarter system at UCLA. It really keeps you on your toes and you can't get behind. It also allows for only 10 weeks of material to study for the finals. And if you get a professor you hate, you only have to deal with him for 10 weeks intsead of an entire semester!

yup my CC is quarter system and I really like it. I'm used to this pace and I feel for this reason UCLA will be easier for me.

You were doing well until the patriarchy and heterosexism came out to play :(

I would hope that dating preferences play no part in this decision, lol.

You were doing well until the patriarchy and heterosexism came out to play :(

I would hope that dating preferences play no part in this decision, lol.
I will admit Cal does have the higher reputation, so I have to throw "something" out there to help level the playing field. :p

And if OP is a girl...UCLA has some really cute guys on their water polo team. ;)

I will admit Cal does have the higher reputation, so I have to throw "something" out there to help level the playing field. :p

And if OP is a girl...UCLA has some really cute guys on their water polo team. ;)

lol i'm a guy. I'm 20 and honestly I havent dated any girl yet. I been busy with school. They are distractions in my view.

MCB for CAL and Molecular Cell and Development Biology for UCLA (But for transfer its easy to switch major i asked)

I can't imagine those two majors being that different from one another. You've done well at CC, keep that same drive and it'll continue after the transfer.

...edit: oops, I see you have not visited the schools yet. You REALLY need to do that. And as someone brought up in a post above...consider the difference between the quarter and semester systems. Personally I preferred the quarter system at UCLA. It really keeps you on your toes and you can't get behind. It also allows for only 10 weeks of material to study for the finals. And if you get a professor you hate, you only have to deal with him for 10 weeks intsead of an entire semester!

I have to say that while the quarter system (such as at my UG) can be a bit tough, one really does learn how to quickly learn in that environment. Now I'm at a med school that has a semester system and for the most part, it's been a pleasant transition (in the eyes of the storm that is med school lol).

If I were to choose between the two, I'd choose Berkeley just coz id rather be in NorCal than SoCal. That's the only reason for me coz these schools are basically the same in terms of academics. Though I know there are some pretty hardcore cutthroat pre-meds in Berkeley. Can't speak for UCLA peeps.

I can't imagine those two majors being that different from one another. You've done well at CC, keep that same drive and it'll continue after the transfer.

I have to say that while the quarter system (such as at my UG) can be a bit tough, one really does learn how to quickly learn in that environment. Now I'm at a med school that has a semester system and for the most part, it's been a pleasant transition (in the eyes of the storm that is med school lol).

Thank you for the information :D

Last edited:
Ok just to clear something up. When you're writing it on a resume, it's University of California, Berkeley. When you are talking to someone who is not a student, it's Berkeley or UC Berkeley. When you are talking to a student, it's Cal. When you are talking to a Bay Area native, it's Cal Berkeley. It is NEVER UCB.

OP, I'm graduating MCB and Public Health at Cal this year. PM me if you have any questions.

I have replied to you in private chat asking you some questions. Thanks.