SaltySqueegee

El Rey de Salsa
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
www.studentdoctor.net
Status
MD/PhD Student
Alright... so let's have it. I want to hear from everyone who has even an inkling of an opinion on the subject. Yes, you too LaDoc, I know you want to chime in.

I am a "modest" 3rd year MD/PhD student, have a decent project that is in the realm of developing diagnostic biomarkers for molecular assays. It would be my dream job to have this be my reality for the rest of my life. Research and implementation in this field makes me feel like I'm playing the lotto scratchers; I'm not sure if I'm going to win, but every day of work I feel as though I'm closer to something significant. In other words it is fun and quasi-rewarding.

At any rate, Molecular Diagnostics/Pathology seems extremely appealing. So the questions from me are:

What is with PhD types running Molecular Pathology Diagnostics labs, is that not the field of an MD or MD/PhD individual?

If it is only going to be run by PhDs in the future, does this mean that my MD/PhD will not afford me any Molec Path Diagnostic Lab Appointments, and that I will have to stick to research only, and/or some other pathology subspec.?

Why does everyone think AP only instead of CP only is the way to go if Molecular Pathology is primarily about Proteomics, transcriptomics and genomics?

...or should I just get both AP/CP certs and be done with it in the future?

It's my opinion that Molecular Pathology is going to be the wave of the future with molecular pathological subtypes, or, genomic/transcript/proteomic subtypes dictating diagnosis in the future, so why is it that this field seems to be down played in these forums so much?

Regards,

-Salty

OP
SaltySqueegee

SaltySqueegee

El Rey de Salsa
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
www.studentdoctor.net
Status
MD/PhD Student
Am I being unreasonable with where I want my future career to head?

Also... another thought. I'm a hard worker, but I don't necessarily want to be a PI. Are there many openings for MD/PhD lackeys that can work part time in a research lab designing molecular assays (collaborative project), but still have duties as a Pathologist (preferrably CP type)?

Thank you for listening to my questions...

About the Ads