Molecular pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pathoresident

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does doing molecular pathology fellowship help in one's career in Pathology?

In my opinion, being away from the conventional pathology practice ( microscopic slide exam, reporting and cases sign out) might work in the reverse as these skills diminsh, being away for one year or two for the purpose of training in Mo path.

Nevertheless, in the era of molecular pathology "mania", many people oppose the above opinion. Molecular pathology training has become very important in any pathologist career and helps understand the principles of the modern (current and future) practice of pathology. Molecular pathology training shrapens research skills and also helps secure faculty position in academic institutions....

I am very curious to know how pathologists (residents/fellows/faculty) perceive the above two contradicting opinions regarding the training in Mo Path nowadays.

Members don't see this ad.

My opinion is that MP is not rocket science. For purposes of understanding it and appreciating its role in the future, a fellowship is unnecessary. And one could easily stay on top of morphology during a MP fellowship by looking at slides in down time. I don't know that a MP fellowship alone would necessarily be that attractive to academic departments unless there were publications along with it. Academics cares about pubs and bringing in money via grants or service. All the MP's I know produce money by either signing out something else in addition or have research grants.

I'm biased toward Molecular biology since I actually find it very very fascinating, but as far as a fellowship goes? I think it's a great idea and a good fellowship to have around, but you can pick up a lot of molecular knowledge and understanding by getting involved in research.

As far as getting proficient at molecular biology protocols? It took me about a year and a half of day in and day out experiments, working with a spectacular mentor until I felt completely comfortable with running and designing experiments without aid, but as being proficient enough to understand and discuss molecular medicine probably would not take that much effort.

I think the fellowship will be much more important in the future. I think it's important now, but as I said, the knowledge can be attained from other routes imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience the people who are the most attractive as molecular candidates are those who have extensive research experience. Whether they did a fellowship in MP is less important. It does certainly provide you with more practical experience, but whether it is necessary or not is another question.

Molecular path is important to understand for trainees, but you don't need to do a year long fellowship to learn what you need to be effective, if you apply yourself.

Does doing molecular pathology fellowship help in one's career in Pathology?

In my opinion, being away from the conventional pathology practice ( microscopic slide exam, reporting and cases sign out) might work in the reverse as these skills diminsh, being away for one year or two for the purpose of training in Mo path.

Nevertheless, in the era of molecular pathology "mania", many people oppose the above opinion. Molecular pathology training has become very important in any pathologist career and helps understand the principles of the modern (current and future) practice of pathology. Molecular pathology training shrapens research skills and also helps secure faculty position in academic institutions....

I am very curious to know how pathologists (residents/fellows/faculty) perceive the above two contradicting opinions regarding the training in Mo Path nowadays.

I am planning on doing a molecular fellowship. Both of your statements are probably correct to some extent. However, there is no more reason for you to do a fellowship in molecular path than a fellowship in transfusion medicine, unless that's what you want to do. Why sharpen your research skills if you don't want to be a scientist? As of now, the fellowship is really a chance for you to see the current tests offered, learn how to validate lab tests and run a diagnostic lab, and get plenty of time for research. It ain't gonna pay any of your bills, unless you use a K08 to pay your bills.

I agree with the above.

Pursuing Mo Path training depends on one's goals:

- If you want to be a pathologist in a private lab ..going everyday over big piles of biopsies/ surgicals and signing them out to take + 200 K and you feel happy with this, then there is no need to seek for Mo Path training.
Some people, including me, cannot tolerate this kind of "work routine"

- If your goal is to be an academic pathologist , enjoying research and teaching besides the sign out , then Mo Path training can be very useful to meet this goal.

Overall, I believe that any additional training can be helpful as long as you are going to use it in the future and incorporate it in your work..otherwise, it will be a waste of time ..like doing transfusion medicine fellowship to end up as anatomical pathologist working in a private lab...