Mom of 4 Needs Help with School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MOFNT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Could someone please help me narrow down a school list to apply to this cycle? A little of my background and stats first.

-34yr US citizen/Asian immigrant, North Carolina resident;
-Stay at home mom for 8 years(supporting expat. husband and raising kids);
-Undergrad(English major) completed overseas;
-Worked as a translator for about 1yrs after college;
-No science background;

I took classes at CC in the past 2yrs, completed 76 credits includ. all prereq. with 4.0 and an A- for Genetics at state Uni.
Self-studied biochem, took MCAT in July and scored 511 (127/130/126/128---I'm taking biochem this fall!)
Volunteered at a local hospital on patient care floor for 100 HRS;
Shadowed Internalist and GI doc for about 30hrs.

I've applied to all 4 schools in North Carolina and currently looking for 6-8 more to add, preferably in Southeastern states and TX, AK, OH, PA.

Thank you in advance for your input! I'm not familiar with US schools so I have a lot of hw to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

Could someone please help me narrow down a school list to apply to this cycle? A little of my background and stats first.

-No science background;

I took classes at CC in the past 2yrs, completed 76 credits includ. all prereq. with 4.0 and an A- for Genetics at state Uni.
Self-studied biochem, took MCAT in July and scored 511 (127/130/126/128---I'm taking biochem this fall!)

I've applied to all 4 schools in North Carolina and currently looking for 6-8 more to add, preferably in Southeastern states and TX, AK, OH, PA.

Thank you in advance for your input! I'm not familiar with US schools so I have a lot of hw to do.
I suggest:
VCU
EVMS
LMU
ACOM
LECOM-B
PCOM-GA
PCOM
LECOM
U Toledo
OH-COM
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
all three VCOMs
Va Tech IF you live in rural western NC
CUSOM
U WV

TX is not viable if you're a non-Texan.
For AK, did you mean Alaska, or Arkansas?
If the latter, add; NYITCOM-AR and ARCOM.

Alaska has no state school per se, residents there are favored by U WA.

I suggest:
VCU
EVMS
LMU
ACOM
LECOM-B
PCOM-GA
PCOM
LECOM
U Toledo
OH-COM
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
all three VCOMs
Va Tech IF you live in rural western NC
CUSOM
U WV

TX is not viable if you're a non-Texan.
For AK, did you mean Alaska, or Arkansas?
If the latter, add; NYITCOM-AR and ARCOM.

Alaska has no state school per se, residents there are favored by U WA.
Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your help. BTW I meant Arkansas.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about Penn State, U of Wisconsin, U of Toledo, U of Louisville?
Any reason they are not on the list?
What else should I be looking into besides median GPA, MCAT, out of state student % and older students number, school's mission statement for the initial filtering? (tuitions are similar for most out of states.)

You are competitive for all of the below, IMHO:
Rochester (maybe)
Hofstra (maybe)
Albert Einstein (maybe)
UCF (maybe)
Pitt (maybe)
U Toledo
Dartmouth
U VM
Miami
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC

MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Seton Hall
Nova MD
Your state schools
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Hello,

-No science background;

>Worked as a translator for about 1yrs after college;
>worked as a translator
>1 yrs
>1 years
>translator

>Worked as a translator for about 1yrs after college;
>worked as a translator
>1 yrs
>1 years
>translator

Seriously??? I thought you had sth valuable to contribute. Just because I worked as a translator for a year doesn't mean I'm immune from typos.

Seriously??? I thought you had sth valuable to contribute. Just because I worked as a translator for a year doesn't mean I'm immune from typos.
Well like if you want other ppl to take time out of our busy days to help you and take you seriously you should at least selfcheck your own work before posting....

Well like if you want other ppl to take time out of our busy days to help you and take you seriously you should at least selfcheck your own work before posting....

"ppl" "selfcheck"
"people" "self-check"

Clearly @Modest_anteater if you have time to quibble over "1yrs" when it's perfectly clear what she meant, then your day is not that busy.

Reactions: 1 users