Monday Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

borne_before

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd make a Monday thread in a similar vein to the Friday thread. So, how'd the weekend go? Anyone else getting a deluge of Monday stuff?

Members don't see this ad.

Monday Quarantine GIF by The Office

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have an 8am class on Mondays and a new dog to take out before I go, so my weekend sure feels like it ends abruptly.

Reactions: 1 users
Had a number of no shows last week, and this mornings client showed up AND was on time! Great start to the week

Reactions: 6 users
May or may not also schedule a "meeting" to put something on the smoker.
Now you have my attention.

What kind of smoker do you have? What will you toss on? Can we make this thread about smoking meat now?

Reactions: 2 users
Now you have my attention.

What kind of smoker do you have? What will you toss on? Can we make this thread about smoking meat now?

Just recently got a Traeger. I love grilling but have never had a smoker before, so I'm going into this as a newbie. No clue what to try smoking first, but have been given recommendations for skirt steak and NY strip to start off on the "easy" end of things. I'd also considered (pork) ribs.

If you or anyone else has suggestions, I'm all ears.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh wow, was it a delayed start to the semester, or is this the usual?
usual. Although we also have an abbreviated, experiential January term which all students take, but only some tt faculty teach. If we opt into teaching in January it counts toward our yearly contract total and fall or spring teaching is reduced accordingly. I've always opted for the extra time off but I have colleagues who love teaching in the January term and offering something different from their regular course rotation, often blending academic and personal interests.

Just recently got a Traeger. I love grilling but have never had a smoker before, so I'm going into this as a newbie. No clue what to try smoking first, but have been given recommendations for skirt steak and NY strip to start off on the "easy" end of things. I'd also considered (pork) ribs.

I use a pit barrel cooker, which uses charcoal and a few wood chunks. It's pretty much set it and forget it. But, I don't know much about using a pellet smoker. I kind of want one, because it truly is set it and forget it.

For flank steak and new york strip, I'd select another method - even though a traeger would be delicious - but you risk drying them out and they "shine" with other methods. I like doing flank steak ala Alton Brown's caveman method (salt, then right on the coals for like a minute each side, then rest in tinfoil, then cut against the grain - AB has a good video for it). For a new york strip, I'd prolly sous vide it and sear it or do a two zone grill method (sear it, then let indirect heat bring it to 130 degrees).

Smoking meat is sort of for big hunks of meat with a ton of connective tissue - like a boston butt or brisket. There is an amazing website called amazingribs.com and meathead Goldwyn has even been on NPR. Go there if you want to learn some of the science behind bbq.

I am the best as making ribs, but they're kind of tricky because it's not about finishing temp on them and it takes some time to know when they're done. Meathead's last meal ribs are great recipe to start with and his rub, memphis dust, is amazing.

Brisket is tricky and expensive right now. Brisket is another that is amazing when you make it yourself, like ribs. But, I'd wait for you to get a feel for the smoker and smoking. When do you wrap, when is it done, etc.,

I would start with pulled pork. A boston butt/pork shoulder (try to get bone in if you can), is cheap and pretty hard to mess up. It just takes time, but it'll be the best pulled pork you've ever had. It just takes a long time. But, it also lets your rub and wood shine. Also, make Kenji Lopez Alt's coleslaw as a side. The only problem is they can take a long time because of the stall. The stall is when heat starts causing the water to evaporate and the internal temp of the meat remains pretty stable for a loooong time. Like 8 or 10 hours sometimes with brisket at 225 degrees. Texans can cook a brisket for like 19 hours sometimes. But, I have theory that the longer cook times were because they were eating really poor quality beef and it needed extra time to break down the connective tissue and collagen. Now we have prime and choice brisket that doesn't really need such a low heat to be just as good. My PBC usually runs north of 275 degrees and i'll crank out a good brisket in as little as 5.5 hours sometimes.

I would start with pulled pork or a whole or half chicken.

A boston butt (try to get bone in if you can), is cheap and pretty hard to mess up. It just takes time, but it'll be the best pulled pork you've ever had. It just takes a long time. But, it also lets your rub and wood shine. Also, make Kenji Lopez Alt's coleslaw as a side. Make sure you let the meat rest for a while in a cooler or something.

I think I did a half chicken at first. You can crank one out in like two hours. You want to get the skin crispy at then end by subjecting to high temps briefly.

Pulled chuck roast has a ton of the benefits of brisket, but also smaller and easier to manage, too.

Tri Tip is one of my favorites to cook, but you east coasters might have a hard time finding one. It's big, so I'll smoke it for like 30 minutes and when it gets close to temp, I'll let a ton of oxygen in and get my smoker choochin' real hot to get a good bark.

Members don't see this ad :)
I use a pit barrel cooker, which uses charcoal and a few wood chunks. It's pretty much set it and forget it. But, I don't know much about using a pellet smoker. I kind of want one, because it truly is set it and forget it.

For flank steak and new york strip, I'd select another method - even though a traeger would be delicious - but you risk drying them out and they "shine" with other methods. I like doing flank steak ala Alton Brown's caveman method (salt, then right on the coals for like a minute each side, then rest in tinfoil, then cut against the grain - AB has a good video for it). For a new york strip, I'd prolly sous vide it and sear it or do a two zone grill method (sear it, then let indirect heat bring it to 130 degrees).

Smoking meat is sort of for big hunks of meat with a ton of connective tissue - like a boston butt or brisket. There is an amazing website called amazingribs.com and meathead Goldwyn has even been on NPR. Go there if you want to learn some of the science behind bbq.

I am the best as making ribs, but they're kind of tricky because it's not about finishing temp on them and it takes some time to know when they're done. Meathead's last meal ribs are great recipe to start with and his rub, memphis dust, is amazing.

Brisket is tricky and expensive right now. Brisket is another that is amazing when you make it yourself, like ribs. But, I'd wait for you to get a feel for the smoker and smoking. When do you wrap, when is it done, etc.,

I would start with pulled pork. A boston butt/pork shoulder (try to get bone in if you can), is cheap and pretty hard to mess up. It just takes time, but it'll be the best pulled pork you've ever had. It just takes a long time. But, it also lets your rub and wood shine. Also, make Kenji Lopez Alt's coleslaw as a side. The only problem is they can take a long time because of the stall. The stall is when heat starts causing the water to evaporate and the internal temp of the meat remains pretty stable for a loooong time. Like 8 or 10 hours sometimes with brisket at 225 degrees. Texans can cook a brisket for like 19 hours sometimes. But, I have theory that the longer cook times were because they were eating really poor quality beef and it needed extra time to break down the connective tissue and collagen. Now we have prime and choice brisket that doesn't really need such a low heat to be just as good. My PBC usually runs north of 275 degrees and i'll crank out a good brisket in as little as 5.5 hours sometimes.

I would start with pulled pork or a whole or half chicken.

A boston butt (try to get bone in if you can), is cheap and pretty hard to mess up. It just takes time, but it'll be the best pulled pork you've ever had. It just takes a long time. But, it also lets your rub and wood shine. Also, make Kenji Lopez Alt's coleslaw as a side. Make sure you let the meat rest for a while in a cooler or something.

I think I did a half chicken at first. You can crank one out in like two hours. You want to get the skin crispy at then end by subjecting to high temps briefly.

Pulled chuck roast has a ton of the benefits of brisket, but also smaller and easier to manage, too.

Tri Tip is one of my favorites to cook, but you east coasters might have a hard time finding one. It's big, so I'll smoke it for like 30 minutes and when it gets close to temp, I'll let a ton of oxygen in and get my smoker choochin' real hot to get a good bark.
This is like a treatise on smoked meats. Love it.

You're the second or third person who's mentioned brisket being tricky, so I'll hold off on that for now. I'd been thinking about Boston butt/pork shoulder, so I think I'll go that route first. I figure if something takes 9 hours to cook, it may be more difficult for me to screw up. May or may not try a half or whole chicken first just for the heck of it. Thank ya.

Can someone point me to the Tuesday thread?

Sometimes I wish I could just call a family that is scheduled for an intake and say "Hey, I'm super not feeling it today and have a ton of stuff to do and am feeling a bit overwhelmed. Plus, I want to be able to pick up my babies at like 4:30pm, hit the peloton, and eat some frozen pizza with the family. I know you've been waiting a while, but is cool if I just see you in like a month instead of today?" and for them to be like "Oh yeah, we totally get it. Have a good one!" OR maybe I could have a super power that involved being able to just move my appointments down a few hours and have all families just make it work.

Sometimes I wish I could just call a family that is scheduled for an intake and say "Hey, I'm super not feeling it today and have a ton of stuff to do and am feeling a bit overwhelmed. Plus, I want to be able to pick up my babies at like 4:30pm, hit the peloton, and eat some frozen pizza with the family. I know you've been waiting a while, but is cool if I just see you in like a month instead of today?" and for them to be like "Oh yeah, we totally get it. Have a good one!" OR maybe I could have a super power that involved being able to just move my appointments down a few hours and have all families just make it work.

You need to think bigger. Aim for telepathy, like Professor X, so you can just make the families agree. Also, you can do better than frozen pizza.

Could you imagine?
"Sorry for the sudden notice, but the vibe just ain't it today. I'm gonna chill."
"Understandable, have a great day."
Man what a world that would be.

You need to think bigger. Aim for telepathy, like Professor X, so you can just make the families agree. Also, you can do better than frozen pizza.
Pizza parlano from Trader Joe’s is my favorite. The trick is to put it a ripping hot oven.

Pizza parlano from Trader Joe’s is my favorite. The trick is to put it a ripping hot oven.
If we're talking frozen pizza, nothing beats Home Run inn. That sauce is *chef's kiss*. I want to try grilling it one day

If we're talking frozen pizza, nothing beats Home Run inn. That sauce is *chef's kiss*. I want to try grilling it one day
I've never heard of that! I'll try to find some. Up to now, my only experience with Chicago pizza is Lou Malnati's. It's pretty good. But, I'm not sure if deep dish is really a pizza. It's more like a pie.

I stayed home with the 4 month old friday because daycare thought she had pink eye on Friday. I think she was just a little congested. It was really nice to hang out with her all day. I had a bit of a heavy week and was feeling sorta burnt out. I feel bad for patient reschedules because i'm booking at least a month out right now for treatment cases and six weeks for intakes. But, the patients will bleed you dry if you let 'em. So I guess I'm proud of setting a personal boundary fo saying "meh, my baby needs me, and this week was hella stressful, so I am going to focus on baby smiles today, even though my mother in law could help."

Testing patient first thing Monday morning. Currently trying to find if there's a cutoff for one of the self-report measures I used. Fun times!

Testing patient first thing Monday morning. Currently trying to find if there's a cutoff for one of the self-report measures I used. Fun times!
I hate testing first thing in a new week. 95% of the time I do my intakes on Mon & Tues....then the rest of the week is a mix of f/u, doc review, and report writing. I'll probably start doing some of my own testing again for certain things, but I mostly use a psych tech because I don't have the patience to do full neuro batteries anymore.

Come WAIS your time with me....

Last edited:
  • Haha

We have one that has never been used so I can’t offer too many suggestions, but my brother has made great turkeys for Thanksgiving and - this may sound weird - some pretty good cheese as well.

We have one that has never been used so I can’t offer too many suggestions, but my brother has made great turkeys for Thanksgiving and - this may sound weird - some pretty good cheese as well.
Cold smoking is an art.

Happy Monday everyone! My first two patients showed so far today so week is off to a good start. A month and half after officially opening and it looks like I might have enough work to make a go of the whole private practice thing. Lets just call it an optimistic Monday. Hope that holds till the Friday thread.

Reactions: 5 users
Mondays suck. I want Lasanga. ****ing Nermal, man...

Our five month old had a fever yesterday and last night. Mrs. Borne is in a healthcare related lab management position and has time sensitive processes to complete so I get to spend the day the worlds cutest baby while the threenager is at daycare. After this bottle, we will go for a nice walk.

I stumbled over my words a few too many times than I would like during the clinical interview, my brain still isn't quite in work mode :rolleyes: On the plus side, I had a really pleasant patient (and relatively straightforward case) today, so this week is off to a decent start otherwise!

Reactions: 5 users
I stumbled over my words a few too many times than I would like during the clinical interview, my brain still isn't quite in work mode :rolleyes: On the plus side, I had a really pleasant patient (and relatively straightforward case) today, so this week is off to a decent start otherwise!
That sounds like every Monday for me, at least the part about brain not quite in work mode. Takes me a while to get rolling. I also had a pleasant patient this a.m. so that was nice, although not very straightforward clinically. Of course, that is how I get my brain into work mode is thinking about the differential between dx'es and trying to coordinate with the Psych NP on our treatment plan.

picked up our posters from the local print shop today, helping nervous undergrad students prepare for their first conference and making final preparations for my first in-person conference and flight in 2+ years, but first, pre-season baseball game tomorrow night

Last edited:
Sometimes I just let patients know that I'm not firin' on all 8 today - always a positive response...

That sounds like every Monday for me, at least the part about brain not quite in work mode. Takes me a while to get rolling. I also had a pleasant patient this a.m. so that was nice, although not very straightforward clinically. Of course, that is how I get my brain into work mode is thinking about the differential between dx'es and trying to coordinate with the Psych NP on our treatment plan.
It's nice to hear I'm not the only one! I am always so embarrassed!

Sometimes I just let patients know that I'm not firin' on all 8 today - always a positive response...
I'm always afraid they'll then think I'm going to mess up their eval if I say something like that. I usually joke that maybe I should be the one being evaluated and that seems to get a laugh most of the time but it's always uncomfortable. I wish I was one of those super eloquent folks, but alas, I am not.

It's nice to hear I'm not the only one! I am always so embarrassed!

I'm always afraid they'll then think I'm going to mess up their eval if I say something like that. I usually joke that maybe I should be the one being evaluated and that seems to get a laugh most of the time but it's always uncomfortable. I wish I was one of those super eloquent folks, but alas, I am not.
I had a supervisor during my internship that scheduled my time to meet with her at 8:00 am Monday, then she would proceed to grill me on things that happened the week before. My memory process doesn’t work that way and I tried to explain that and she stated that I shouldn’t make excuses and patients need our best the moment that we walk in the door. Halfway through the year when she was banned from the premises because she treated other people as rudely as she treated me because of legal action. Woohoo! I ended up being the default head of psychology for the unit as an intern and never looked back and being a slower processor at times has not been an impedance in any way. If I was an a$$, then that would probably be a barrier.

Last edited:
I had a supervisor during my internship that scheduled my time to meet with her at 8:00 am Monday, then she would proceed to grill me on things that happened the week before. My memory process doesn’t work that way and I tried to explain that and she stated that I shouldn’t make excuses and patients need our best the moment that we walk in the door. Halfway through the year when she was banned from the premises because she treated other people as rudely as she treated me, she was banned from the premises during legal action. Woohoo! I ended up being the head of psychology for the unit as an intern and never looked back and being a slower processor at times has not been an impedance in anyway. If I was an a$$, then that would probably be a barrier.

Back on internship, I had a supervisor that liked to meet for supervision at 8am as well and would forget to show up about 50% of the time. So, I guess my brain was functioning better of the two of us (or I was just not that important, which is probably more true). I don't miss those days.

It was a crazy weekend for me, so I mostly stared at a screen until 10 am as well. On the bright side, there is a shiny new car in the garage and my wife accepted a new job offer. Lots of changes...

Spent half of Monday putting furniture together for intern office. No one told me how much assembly would be required for a private practice. On a more serious note, it is hard to shift gears from providing therapy to running a business and yesterday I felt less optimistic than I have been in months. We’ll see how the week progresses, check Friday thread to see if any positivity returns.

Spent half of Monday putting furniture together for intern office. No one told me how much assembly would be required for a private practice. On a more serious note, it is hard to shift gears from providing therapy to running a business and yesterday I felt less optimistic than I have been in months. We’ll see how the week progresses, check Friday thread to see if any positivity returns.

Why are you feeling pessimistic about the business aspect of things? I started my solo practice 2 years ago and have never been happier. More autonomy, more money, it’s a good thing! I hope you find your positivity again!

Reactions: 3 users
Why are you feeling pessimistic about the business aspect of things? I started my solo practice 2 years ago and have never been happier. More autonomy, more money, it’s a good thing! I hope you find your positivity again!
Today is already a better day. I am just feeling a little overwhelmed with what I am taking on as I have goals beyond just solo practice, but I am the one most capable of generating revenue. So the challenge is how to balance what I can do individually as a therapist and then grow and develop the business while maintaining profitability. It is a slower process with only cash pay and each no show or reschedule at this point is hard. Two steps forward one step back. This is the third month and I was hoping for 10k in gross revenue but will fall short especially since my wife insisted I take Memorial Day off. I like to hit my goals and can be a little obsessive about it. She rescheduled a couple for Tuesday so maybe I'll get close to it. ;)

Didn't know you made the jump from group practice. Congrats!