Monday Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know it’s not quite Monday yet but it might as well be. Have spent the whole weekend trying to convince myself not to walk in on Monday and put in my notice, and as every week passes this becomes more difficult to avoid. Not brave enough to make the jump to PP yet so I’m stuck for now at my current job. Sunday scaries are worse than ever!

I stocked up on energy drinks, which are the only things that I look forward to during my work day, so I’m ready to over caffeinate myself again this week!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Celebrated Halloween this weekend and now I'm behind in assignments. Wish me luck in getting some sleep.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget the GA, NV, AZ, NH senate races. And let's not even start on House races...

Yeah, but Dr Oz vs a guy recovering from a stroke is the most entertaining race in my book. Not that there are not other important races. However, my mother has never bothered me with poorly researched anecdotes from other candidates' day time talk shows.

Yeah, but Dr Oz vs a guy recovering from a stroke is the most entertaining race in my book. Not that there are not other important races. However, my mother has never bothered me with poorly researched anecdotes from other candidates' day time talk shows.

Fetterman going through with that debate was the best thing Oz could have hoped for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is finding a good cat tree so hard?

I'm on cold number two in the past three weeks. My right ear is starting to get all congested. At what point should I phone the teledoc. THis one is way less bad.

I was in a fendy bendy on Saturday. Traffic was slowing down to about 10 mph. I hopped into a left turn lane. As I'm passing a car, in her blind spot, she flips on turn signal and immediately get over and crashes into me.

So we pull into a gas station, I have two kids with me, the baby didn't wake up. So we get info and go on our way. That was a little mistake because daddy is a lawyer and made some silly statements to his insurance. But, my truck is like only a little messed up and I didnt want to sit around with the kids crying for an hour for a cop to show. Lawyer daddy made it sound like we were in the intersection and I hit them.

But here is the kicker - I have a dash cam and caught the whole thing. The day after - I even texted her the footage. My bro (a cop) and buddy (a detective) would have cited her.

I thought I was doing them a solid because there is like prolly less than 500 in damage to my truck. And my truck ain't no pavement princess. I can deal with a little scuff here and there. Just fix my bumper and pay for an inspection/alignment. That's all it's going to take.

So daddy calls me next day from his office line and is like "this is so and so" and I just immediately thought this guy is recording this from his office. So I didn't admit fault or anything. I'm sure the guy is paranoid about spurious injury claims. I just said "how would you like to proceed" and he is like "let's go through insurance, that's what we pay for."

I guess just always get a police report.

Anyway, Geico is actually being cool - they have me not at fault. I'm going through them for repairs and they'll go after their insurance. This repair just got way more involved than a new bumper.

Last edited:
Depression, anxiety, family strife, and too much responsibility tied to assistantships. Seriously stressing about possibly needing to go to phase II of internship match. Who knew the end of my program would be the most stressful part? Really hoping there will be neuro spots available in phase II if things go that way.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Depression, anxiety, family strife, and too much responsibility tied to assistantships. Seriously stressing about possibly needing to go to phase II of internship match. Who knew the end of my program would be the most stressful part? Really hoping there will be neuro spots available in phase II if things go that way.

It’s a stressful time for sure. But even if your internship isn’t “neuro-track,” you can still be a successful candidate for neuro post docs. My internship is general with some neuro experiences (and a neuro track I am not part of), and I have gotten multiple interviews for neuro post docs, including many match sites. Plus, there are often really great sites in phase II. Regardless of what happens, you’ll be fine. Just be diligent with the interviews you have and let your experiences to date shine through.

Reactions: 1 users
You're on mile 21 of a marathon, brother. You're feet are beat up and you're starting to chafe and you're starting to bonk. Maybe some cramps are showing up. You start thinking to yourself "maybe if I can just get to that tree." and when you get to that tree you identify your next target, maybe that sign. And when you get there you can see an aide station. Don't skip aide stations - you need all the nutrition and hydration you can get. Maybe it's time to start walking the aide stations, though.

I recall similar feelings many years ago around this time. I am also pretty neurotic and my family is dysfunctional with a lot of conflict. Focus on the things you can control. We can't control family. We can't control the match. But you can control a lot of stuff. Personally, I think during that time, the time between ranking and matching, I scheduled a worry time and whenever I caught myself worrying about it, I'd make a note in my phone to go back to it tomorrow at 7:25am.

Just get to that tree, dude. Then get to that sign. Then get to that aide station. The dice is in the air, but remember - you made the decision to throw them.

Reactions: 5 users
I matched in phase 2! so it does happen! i had many great sites left in my year, and if you are not picky geographically, there is hope

meanwhile in California...
first day of spring semester and I'm teaching three sections of Race, Ethnicity, and Culture in Psychology. A class I developed and has proven very popular so we've added another section to meet demand.

The description: An examination of the social construction of race, as well as the values, assumptions, and biases we hold regarding race, ethnicity, culture and related issues. The course explores the intersection of race, ethnicity, culture and mental health; topics may include African American Psychology, Latino/a Psychology, and Asian American Psychology. This course satisfies the American Diversity requirement of the Core Curriculum.

happy Monday y'al!

• Care
happy monday! I've been asked more than once for the resources I use in the race class. I could not find a single text which covered what I had in mind so I pieced together readings from many sources. attached is the main reading list, obviously we don't read everything cover to cover, rather a few chapters here a few chapters there. Hope it's helpful

Attachments

• Master Reading List.pdf
    91.6 KB · Views: 63
Not Monday, it was Tuesday though.
Recently got back from a social club in the city I'm in. A friend has a membership there and invited me for a Pi day special.

Overall...wasn't impressed. You pay the same amount, if not more, for food or drink there. (Like $20 for a cocktail. Who in their right mind...)
The people there are mostly socially inept tech/marketing/influencers people or shallow, self-interested art folk that are trying to find a big break.

You get a spa, gym, rooftop, pool area, a hotel I think, and other restaurants and stuff but...why do you need that in a city that already has all of that?

The annual fees are crazy to join. And that's with having a considerable discount. My friend was trying to get me to join...
***** I'm living on a stipend. I can't pay a month's worth (2x that without the discount) of rent a year for this.

Not Monday, it was Tuesday though.
Recently got back from a social club in the city I'm in. A friend has a membership there and invited me for a Pi day special.

Overall...wasn't impressed. You pay the same amount, if not more, for food or drink there. (Like $20 for a cocktail. Who in their right mind...)
The people there are mostly socially inept tech/marketing/influencers people or shallow, self-interested art folk that are trying to find a big break.

You get a spa, gym, rooftop, pool area, a hotel I think, and other restaurants and stuff but...why do you need that in a city that already has all of that?

The annual fees are crazy to join. And that's with having a considerable discount. My friend was trying to get me to join...
***** I'm living on a stipend. I can't pay a month's worth (2x that without the discount) of rent a year for this.
Masturbation is real... wait until you find out how much people pay to join a country club. My wife's grandparents were in that crust, too. It was all about appearances. They did have a dank mother's day brunch spread, tho.

some of this week's reading and discussion material:
G. Stanley Hall's 1903 "The White Man's Burden Versus Indigenous Development of the Lower Races"
and California's most recent annual report from the Racial and Identity Profiling Board
happy Wednesday!

Attachments

• White Man's Burden_Hall_1903.pdf
    425.4 KB · Views: 53
  • ripa-board-report-2023.pdf
    5.2 MB · Views: 42
some of this week's reading and discussion material:
G. Stanley Hall's 1903 "The White Man's Burden Versus Indigenous Development of the Lower Races"
and California's most recent annual report from the Racial and Identity Profiling Board
happy Wednesday!
Do you have anything on assessment and diversity?

happy monday and hello spring!

part of this week's class discussion involves examining the intersection between economic stability and mental health, with a particular focus on disparities in home ownership https://home.treasury.gov/news/featured-stories/racial-differences-in-economic-security-housing
Every time you post about your class, I'm like:

season 3 krabby land GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Got an honorable mention for the Ford dissertation fellowship which feels poetic for a Wednesday. Like its not horrible as being rejected but its no 27k

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
up for discussion this week: evidence of bias impacting health care
spoiler alert: docs are more likely to prescribe pain meds to White patients with the same injuries as Black and Latino/a patients. 1993...2000...2021....

Attachments

• Erhnicity as a Rick Factor for Inadequate Emergency Departmernt Analgesia, 1993.pdf
    509.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Ethnicity and analgesic practice, 2000.pdf
    37.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Multistate Study of Race and Ethnic Disparities in Access to Trauma Care, 2021.pdf
    465.4 KB · Views: 60
Just found out I didn't get the NSF GRFP and I'm feeling surprisingly ok about it. It would've been really nice to have the extra funding, but I've already had my fair share of both wins and losses in grad school and will just keeping applying for the next thing. I struggle with the risk/reward tradeoffs in academia though. Yes, I can repurpose parts of that app for other submissions. I also spent much of the fall working on things that didn't pan out and wish I had more to show for it.

• Care
Just found out I didn't get the NSF GRFP and I'm feeling surprisingly ok about it. It would've been really nice to have the extra funding, but I've already had my fair share of both wins and losses in grad school and will just keeping applying for the next thing. I struggle with the risk/reward tradeoffs in academia though. Yes, I can repurpose parts of that app for other submissions. I also spent much of the fall working on things that didn't pan out and wish I had more to show for it.
I definitely get this (just got an HM for the Ford and of course this year is the last year). Its really tough but it seems like you've got the right mindset about the award/funding application process. I'm in my penultimate year and my CV looked paltry in terms of funding and awards prior to this academic year even though I applied to a lot of things since the start of grad school and spent so much time on materials. It does pay off though (I can slap together an application for things in less than a week now and funding is finally coming in) and I wish you luck for any other irons you have in the fire, you got this!

• Care
Victor Nell's Cross Cultural Neuropsychological Assessment is a decent oldie that covers theory from a South African perspective.

I think we used Ferraro's book in grad school, which was new back then, I believe that there is a 2nd edition nowadays.

I think ferraro is more US centric while Nell is more focused on other UN countries and general concepts.
I read the chapter "Cultural Competence Guidelines for Neuropsychology Trainees and Professionals: Working with Ethnically Diverse Individuals, Mirella Díaz-Santos and Sigmund Hough" and found it a very succinct framework best summarized as:
  1. know yourself - self-awareness is the foundation of cultural responsivity.
  2. know others - culture, acculturation, education, quality of ed, literacy, language compentence, stereotype threat, perceived racism
  3. know the tests - cultural loading of items
  4. know your role in advocacy

I read the chapter "Cultural Competence Guidelines for Neuropsychology Trainees and Professionals: Working with Ethnically Diverse Individuals, Mirella Díaz-Santos and Sigmund Hough" and found it a very succinct framework best summarized as:
  1. know yourself - self-awareness is the foundation of cultural responsivity.
  2. know others - culture, acculturation, education, quality of ed, literacy, language compentence, stereotype threat, perceived racism
  3. know the tests - cultural loading of items
  4. know your role in advocacy
lovely, we also use Diaz-Santos and I often summarize it for my students as: understand self, understand others, understand system.
it begins with self-examination, which has evolved from a still prevalent "let's learn about them" orientation

lovely, we also use Diaz-Santos and I often summarize it for my students as: understand self, understand others, understand system.
it begins with self-examination, which has evolved from a still prevalent "let's learn about them" orientation
BTW - if anyone had a .pdf of that book cough cough.

U of Minnesota, happening today: FREE!

Supporting Diverse Perspectives in a Divided Society: A Critical Challenge for Psychology

Abstract: In this presentation, Dr. Worrell will review the sociohistorical context of the United States, discuss APA’s Apology to People of Color as well as responses to the apology, highlight the increasing divisiveness in the social and political spheres, and present some questions related to the role of psychology at this point in time.

Bio: Frank C. Worrell, Ph.D., is a Distinguished Professor at the University of California, Berkeley. His areas of expertise include cultural identities, scale development, talent development, and time perspective. Dr. Worrell is a Fellow of the American Educational Research Association, the American Psychological Association, and the Association for Psychological Science, and an elected member of the Society for the Study of School Psychology and the National Academy of Education. A former editor of Review of Educational Research, Dr. Worrell is a recipient of the Distinguished Scholar Award from the National Association for Gifted Children, the Distinguished Contributions to Research Award from Division 45 of APA (the Society for the Psychological Study of Culture, Ethnicity, and Race), and the Outstanding International Psychologist Award from Division 52 of APA (International Psychology). He was the 2022 President of the American Psychological Association.