-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Monday Thread
Started by borne_before
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Didn't know you made the jump from group practice. Congrats!
Yes! Right at the start of the pandemic, which was a crazy time to do it. It was such a good decision. Since I left the group, I have convinced 3 of my colleagues to do the same! Ha!
Sanman
O.G.
I would expect a dip in income during the summer and in December. Folks with a few dollars like vacations from my experience.As I obsess more on the numbers, I see that I will have three straight months of improvement which is great for first three months, but it looks like that trajectory might not hold for June.
I'm going to need psychotherapy before too long.![]()
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Finally feeling like I have some room to breathe. I did some math today, and since beginning of year I've billed out at 160% productivity requirements. Also taught two classes Spring semester, plus chair of two Dissertations. Had a few no-shows for intakes a few weeks back, and wisely did not reschedule the testing slots. I've been able to bang out a half dozen reports in the past few days, and that's always a mental boost. I'm not burning out because I love what I do, but sometimes you need that time to just get caught up. First big live conference this coming weekend, and I'm actualky looking forward to it (though i always feel guilty spending the weekend in a fancy hotel without my spouse, all expenses paid by my company).
Finally feeling like I have some room to breathe. I did some math today, and since beginning of year I've billed out at 160% productivity requirements. Also taught two classes Spring semester, plus chair of two Dissertations. Had a few no-shows for intakes a few weeks back, and wisely did not reschedule the testing slots. I've been able to bang out a half dozen reports in the past few days, and that's always a mental boost. I'm not burning out because I love what I do, but sometimes you need that time to just get caught up. First big live conference this coming weekend, and I'm actualky looking forward to it (though i always feel guilty spending the weekend in a fancy hotel without my spouse, all expenses paid by my company).
Enjoy that fancy hotel travel time. That is cherished alone time.
Submitted my external tenure and promotion materials yesterday (the materials that go to external reviewers--CV, mini dossier, and three articles); next step is internal materials, which are due in September. Won't get any feedback at all until late October and won't get the final decision until April.
Not sure if this is a monday or friday thread thing. But, I am about to be the opposite of frugal/cheap - which is rare for me. I just scheduled an appointment to get my truck a lift and some larger tires. It's paid off and only has about 15k on it. But, I have always wanted a truck that sits a little higher and larger wheels. I think it will make it look slightly cooler, too. It'll be a 3/1 one lift where they raise the front three inches and the back one inch, to make it sit level. This allows me to fit much larger tires. I will be going from a puny 265/65r18 to a 295/70r18. That's a 31.6inch tire to a 34.3inch tire, while making my truck have a more rugged stance and marginally improving off road performance. This comes at the cost of poorer gas mileage.
Congrats!! My husband is a mechanic has done all sorts of stuff like that to his truck and frequently goes off roading, so I understand some of this lolNot sure if this is a monday or friday thread thing. But, I am about to be the opposite of frugal/cheap - which is rare for me. I just scheduled an appointment to get my truck a lift and some larger tires. It's paid off and only has about 15k on it. But, I have always wanted a truck that sits a little higher and larger wheels. I think it will make it look slightly cooler, too. It'll be a 3/1 one lift where they raise the front three inches and the back one inch, to make it sit level. This allows me to fit much larger tires. I will be going from a puny 265/65r18 to a 295/70r18. That's a 31.6inch tire to a 34.3inch tire, while making my truck have a more rugged stance and marginally improving off road performance. This comes at the cost of poorer gas mileage.
If I didn't have kids and the need for multiple carseats, I'd still be happily driving my Civic.
I used to have a prius. 10/10 car.If I didn't have kids and the need for multiple carseats, I'd still be happily driving my Civic.
Sanman
O.G.
If you'll use it good for you. You running all terrains on it or going to a more dedicated tire?Not sure if this is a monday or friday thread thing. But, I am about to be the opposite of frugal/cheap - which is rare for me. I just scheduled an appointment to get my truck a lift and some larger tires. It's paid off and only has about 15k on it. But, I have always wanted a truck that sits a little higher and larger wheels. I think it will make it look slightly cooler, too. It'll be a 3/1 one lift where they raise the front three inches and the back one inch, to make it sit level. This allows me to fit much larger tires. I will be going from a puny 265/65r18 to a 295/70r18. That's a 31.6inch tire to a 34.3inch tire, while making my truck have a more rugged stance and marginally improving off road performance. This comes at the cost of poorer gas mileage.
Last edited:
Sanman
O.G.
I used to have a prius. 10/10 car.
More often than not, the tool for the job. I just can't bring myself to do it though.
I’ll get some toyo at 3s. But my fil swears by nitto ridge grapplers. I occasionally got to the snow tho.If you'll use it good for you. You running all terrains on it or going to more dedicated tire?
Is it better than DiGiorno’s?If we're talking frozen pizza, nothing beats Home Run inn. That sauce is *chef's kiss*. I want to try grilling it one day
Please don’t (pizza) stone me, I need the help.
Last edited:
I would say yes. But DiGiorno's does have that nice fluffy crust that I like from time to time.Is it better than DiGiorno’s?
Please don’t (pizza) stone me, I need the help.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The number of times I've accidentally typed "sh*tory" instead of history is absurd. My fingers are just not having it today.
Sanman
O.G.
I would say yes. But DiGiorno's does have that nice fluffy crust that I like from time to time.
Thrillist agrees with you apparently
Summer semester starts tomorrow. Tracing Ethics course. First time teaching in person since the before times. College is requiring masks on campus. Half+ of students will be participating remotely. Not sure how I feel about all of this.
One benefit of living in a very red state is that we have been done with pandemic for a long time. Almost completely back to normal. Drove across state lines the other day to a dentist and had to wear a mask for the first time in over six months. Weird how it reminded me of a very dark time that seems so long ago. This whole societal experience over the last couple of years has been fascinating from my curiosity about human behavior standpoint. I do know that I have patients whose conditions seem to have been very much exacerbated by all of this. Isolation is clearly not good for some people. My life didn’t really get affected much by the whole thing. My job was the same in residential treatment with or without pandemic and when I get off work, the last thing I want to do is be around other people. The best part is it helped keep people out of my personal bubble. Now people are back to wanting to shake hands again. All I know is I hate wearing a dirty rag on my face so am glad to be done with that. Now if I could just keep people away from me without a global pandemic.Summer semester starts tomorrow. Tracing Ethics course. First time teaching in person since the before times. College is requiring masks on campus. Half+ of students will be participating remotely. Not sure how I feel about all of this.
One benefit of living in a very red state is that we have been done with pandemic for a long time. Almost completely back to normal. Drove across state lines the other day to a dentist and had to wear a mask for the first time in over six months. Weird how it reminded me of a very dark time that seems so long ago. This whole societal experience over the last couple of years has been fascinating from my curiosity about human behavior standpoint. I do know that I have patients whose conditions seem to have been very much exacerbated by all of this. Isolation is clearly not good for some people. My life didn’t really get affected much by the whole thing. My job was the same in residential treatment with or without pandemic and when I get off work, the last thing I want to do is be around other people. The best part is it helped keep people out of my personal bubble. Now people are back to wanting to shake hands again. All I know is I hate wearing a dirty rag on my face so am glad to be done with that. Now if I could just keep people away from me without a global pandemic.
All at the low, low cost of a significantly higher per capita death rate? Well, at least now there are more beds available in NHs. 😉
All at the low, low cost of a significantly higher per capita death rate? Well, at least now there are more beds available in NHs. 😉
Must be pretty cushy there, if a minor inconvenience is worth mentioning.
Pre-pandemic, I slept in masks in the OR. It seemed like bad form to complain, when the guy on the table was going to die horrifically from GBM in the next 13 months. Plus, I tend to believe in RCT evidence that has 342,000 subjects. Maybe that's just me.
Must be pretty cushy there, if a minor inconvenience is worth mentioning.
Pre-pandemic, I slept in masks in the OR. It seemed like bad form to complain, when the guy on the table was going to die horrifically from GBM in the next 13 months. Plus, I tend to believe in RCT evidence that has 342,000 subjects. Maybe that's just me.
"Your 'science' ain't gonna convince me to wear a face diaper. Now give me my 84 oz Coke, an AR-15, and my Skoal!"
Feels like a Monday: calling dealerships and trying to find a new car to lease before ours expires in 3 weeks 👎🏼
Sanman
O.G.
Feels like a Monday: calling dealerships and trying to find a new car to lease before ours expires in 3 weeks 👎🏼
Good luck. I think it took about a month for our car to come in, but I was a bit picky about trim level.
Quickly became apparent that buying out our own lease was the best financial decision. The sales folks were disappointed. “Congrats, you bought your own car” they said, lol
Also volunteering today for 1st day of 1st grade. Summer is officially ending.
Also volunteering today for 1st day of 1st grade. Summer is officially ending.
I'm ready for sweaters and boots!
I have finally healed and feel ready to publish my dissertation. It's such a weird process trying not to plagiarize myself. I have looked for guidelines on what is re-inventing the wheel vs poor practice. The answer, as always, seems to be that it depends.
I have finally healed and feel ready to publish my dissertation. It's such a weird process trying not to plagiarize myself. I have looked for guidelines on what is re-inventing the wheel vs poor practice. The answer, as always, seems to be that it depends.
Someone I know is putting up Halloween decorations. What in tarnation?
My institution sent faculty a message that after much deliberation for at least through this fall/winter they will continue to enforce mask on policies in classrooms and indoors. Optional outside on campus. What's this like for where you are?
Unless someone is indemnifying me for 2 weeks of loss revenue, masks stay on.My institution sent faculty a message that after much deliberation for at least through this fall/winter they will continue to enforce mask on policies in classrooms and indoors. Optional outside on campus. What's this like for where you are?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All faculty day today, announced “masks strongly recommended” in indoor spaces. Faculty can mandate masks in their classes as long as it’s on the syllabus. Masks required at student health center. Seems some depts may decide together to require them. Looks like psych dept is leaving decision to individuals
and fall classes are back in session! First day as a tenured professor, feels nice 🙂 Only 15 weeks till winter break...
Slightly ticked off because we had a manuscript revision where a reviewer asked for a lengthy set of new analyses. We asked the edit before resubmission if we could address that as a direction for future research and were explicitly told yes, that would be fine. Three months letter, the editors rejected the revision because we did the thing they explicitly approved. Ugh.
steak was good, beach was nice, and traffic wasn't too bad. happy monday y'all!!
Fall is here. So are in person classes and COVID. We are getting positive case alerts like crazy on campus. With little actionable detail due to student privacy.
midterms!
and happily starting a stretch where 3 of the next 4 weeks are short
first up, youngest cousin's wedding this Friday in Bellingham WA, flying up to Seattle Wednesday after class
happy monday y'all!
and happily starting a stretch where 3 of the next 4 weeks are short
first up, youngest cousin's wedding this Friday in Bellingham WA, flying up to Seattle Wednesday after class
happy monday y'all!
I was up at 5am and out for a jog at 545. I'm two blocks in and turn the corner and I see a dude with a hoodie, backpack, and skateboard walking away from a neighbors car. It was odd because the cabin light slowly dimmed, but no windows were busted. Anyway, I decided to call 911. The dude booked it north, then west, then south and I lost him. I didn't chase him, but I prolly shouldnt of said "hey Siri, call 911" in ear shot.
The dude stole my neighbor's mom work laptop. Her mom didn't lock the car (it had handicapped plates). .
The dude stole my neighbor's mom work laptop. Her mom didn't lock the car (it had handicapped plates). .
Back from the PNW, the wedding was nice, it was warmer than expected and I was surprised at how bad Seattle traffic was.
Back from the PNW, the wedding was nice, it was warmer than expected and I was surprised at how bad Seattle traffic was.
Yeah, I don't miss that traffic. Or the smell of wildfire in the air.
Paul Flores guilty 🙂
Ruben Flores not 🙁
Ruben Flores not 🙁
I had campus interviews at that school with two different departments. After the first interview I was offered some unsolicited advice from a senior faculty member which had me question whether I was a good fit for the school or area generally. Thankfully I soon received a different offer and was able to decline the second interview.Paul Flores guilty 🙂
Ruben Flores not 🙁
DO tell.I had campus interviews at that school with two different departments. After the first interview I was offered some unsolicited advice from a senior faculty member which had me question whether I was a good fit for the school or area generally. Thankfully I soon received a different offer and was able to decline the second interview.
I'll just say the area is stunningly beautiful, expensive, socially conservative, and with limited ethnic diversity, all by California standards. It wasn't the balance we were looking for.
Ugh - my wife had a religious nutter put this on the door of her clinic. They apparently got another two clinics in town and peppered the cars in the parking lots of those clinics. She's worried about being watched. Her clinic is increasing security and going to a buzz in system. Glad it's non-threatening, but we shall see if it escalates.
Attachments
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ugh - my wife had a religious nutter put this on the door of her clinic. They apparently got another two clinics in town and peppered the cars in the parking lots of those clinics. She's worried about being watched. Her clinic is increasing security and going to a buzz in system. Glad it's non-threatening, but we shall see if it escalates.
Unfortunately I only see these nutbags escalating in the current climate. My spouse works at a PP clinic on the side and I worry about their safety. So far she's been resistant to getting a CCP, but we'll see how things go in the next few years.
In my state you dont even need one. You're wife is brave, man.Unfortunately I only see these nutbags escalating in the current climate. My spouse works at a PP clinic on the side and I worry about their safety. So far she's been resistant to getting a CCP, but we'll see how things go in the next few years.
Sanman
O.G.
Unfortunately I only see these nutbags escalating in the current climate. My spouse works at a PP clinic on the side and I worry about their safety. So far she's been resistant to getting a CCP, but we'll see how things go in the next few years.
In my state you dont even need one. You're wife is brave, man.
That this conversation is even taking place saddens me about the state of affairs in our country.
Any coffee roaster recommendations? My fav (happy mug) is shut down as they move.
Any coffee roaster recommendations? My fav (happy mug) is shut down as they move.
Folgers, I hear it's the best part of waking up.