Money in Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hanksquirrel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does everyone think the compensation in path will stay the same, decrease, or increase? I'm curious what people think about this.

Also, as of now, can anyone give me a good starting salary range for a private practice pathologist. I figured those in residencies may have a better idea. I've seen such wide-varied numbers on different websites. And, look, it's about more than the money, blah, blah, blah....I know so please no responses like that. It would be nice to have some good figures, that's all. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it will decrease as Pathology compensation is largely driven by Medicare compensation.

As Medicare drops what they pay pathologists and docs in general, all the insurance companies follow suit. And of course pathologists can't be selective in who they take as patients. They are contractually obligated to provide their services to whoever has surgery at that hospital. Pathologists work a lot harder now to earn 1/2 of what they were making in the 80s. Supposedly in the early 70s and before Path was incredibly lucrative as pathologists would just get a cut of the lab fee (i.e. 25-50% of every test run in the lab) and all autopsies and surgical path were just done as a service to the hospital without charge to the patient, but the federal government put a stop to that and told pathologists that they have to bill for their services like all other docs.

My guess would for starting salary would be 90-150 thousand depending on where you are looking.

From graduating residents I know in Cali:

Forensics-Low 100's

Kaiser-140 to 160's

Private (w/lots of Heme)-220

Private (w/3 year partner track)-210

It varies with your qualifications, region, flexibility...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was given a very interesting 2003 survey report by the college of american pathologists. It is a confidential report and I probably should not have it. It breaks down pathologist salary by age, job, location, solo vs. group vs. hospital, hours worked, reason for leaving a job, and many others. Here is a few.

Type of practice: (mean in thousands)
Solo 233.9
Pathology only group 316.3
University 178.0
Other 241.8

By Age: (2001 mean in thousands)
All: 271.6
<40: 204.8
40-49: 287.4
50-59: 288.7
>60: 257.5

The mean number of hours worked in 2002 was 48.7

If you have any specific questions I will be happy to answer them

^ But I think you make a lot less the first few years when you start especially in private practice.

Any idea about specific subspecialties such as dermpath or blood banking?

Are these salaries for subspecialties or do they apply to general pathologists too???:confused: