money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmw

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate to belabor this topic, but I have seen the salary surveys, looked at starting salaries quoted on job posts, and talked to practicing opthalmologists about salary. I can't seem to get a good idea of what kind of money is being made by optho. I'll be starting my practice when I'm over 40yo so money is an issue when I think about paying back loans. Anybody give me a solid answer? Preferably someone who has first hand knowledge. Thanks.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

find a cure for AMD and diabetic retinopathy and you can buy every bmw on the planet

Originally posted by chef
find a cure for AMD and diabetic retinopathy and you can buy every bmw on the planet

Actually, a cure for diabetic retinopathy will suffice. ;)

Seriously, income will vary depending on where you work (rural, small city, or large city) and the type of practice arrangements. This question is also hard to answer because medical reimbursements are changing all the time.

I know ophthalmologists working in smaller towns make 2-3+ times the amount of ophthalmologists working in Chicago. If money is important to you and you're willing to live anywhere, then you won't have any troubles funding your fleet of BMWs.

I do know that ophthalmic disease will be on the rise as the baby boomers near retirement. We will all be busy fighting blindness for the next several decades.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Andrew_Doan
We will all be busy fighting blindness for the next several decades.

An exciting concept, and one that keeps my drive for ophthalmology alive!

Originally posted by Andrew_Doan
I love your signature quote. :horns:

Rock on! Thanks Dr. Doan. I like to think that I don't plan on working the rest of my life..I plan on practicing ophthalmology....