What did you do to make money after medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tick

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you change your job or get a new one after you got your MD from medical school?
I would like to know what jobs are available just with that degree because I am ready for 2-3 more years of Ophthalmology Residency but if there is a higher paying medical like job than what I have now that I could do with the MD that would be great.

Also, how many years after medical school is there exactly to become an Ophthalmologist? 2-3 years right?

Members don't see this ad.

Umm...we go to residency after medical school........

Did you change your job or get a new one after you got your MD from medical school?
I would like to know what jobs are available just with that degree because I am ready for 2-3 more years of Ophthalmology Residency but if there is a higher paying medical like job than what I have now that I could do with the MD that would be great.

Also, how many years after medical school is there exactly to become an Ophthalmologist? 2-3 years right?

hi tick,

werent u just in the forum a few months ago asking the shortest way through med school to become an ophthalmologist...in short, there is no short cut...just do what you need to do to become an ophthalmologist, in the end it's a road worth traveling...but there is no short cut...you will make 45k (give or take) for your residency, that's just the facts....that's what we do with our MDs

if you NEED a shortcut...or cant do the time, medicine isnt the career for you, we all have 4 years of college, 4 of medical school, then 3-7 years of residency and fellowship (depending on which route you go)...so there is no short cut

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, this isn't asking about time though. I'm fine with all I'm doing right now I am just curious if you can use your MD after medical school to make money with it while also heading into an Ophthalmology residency.

But what did you mean
you will make 45k (give or take) for your residency
, could you explain that to me.

Also what determines how long residency/fellowship will be.

Last edited:
I'm fine with all I'm doing right now I am just curious if you can use your MD after medical school to make money with it while also heading into an Ophthalmology residency

You could be an ophtho resident while moonlighting as a stripper.

As the (most likely) only MD-licensed stripper in the joint, you would be at a serious advantage.

Cash money too.

Just don't wave the singles around your fellow ophtho residents. Jealousy could rear its ugly head.

Yes, this isn't asking about time though. I'm fine with all I'm doing right now I am just curious if you can use your MD after medical school to make money with it while also heading into an Ophthalmology residency.

But what did you mean , "you will make 45k (give or take) for your residency" could you explain that to me.

Also what determines how long residency/fellowship will be.

The ACGME determines the minimum length of residency, though some programs go over that. Fellowships are generally 1 or 2 years, depending on the subspecialty and the program.

The 45k is roughly the yearly salary for during residency.

I think what is confusing people is your question of what to do "while also heading into" a residency. Here's how it works. You go to med school, then you do an internship (transitional or prelim year) for one year. Then you do residency (at least 3 years). There's really no gap in there, unless you don't match and have to go and reapply the following year. Most programs discourage moonlighting during residency, and some out-and-out forbid it. In general, during residency you're not going to find yourself with a lot of time to earn money on the side.

As for "other jobs", going to your original question. There are some people who, after getting an MD, go into a research oriented career. With a straight MD though, it's difficult to compete with the PhD folks who have a lot more direct research training. It can be done, but it's tough, and it generally means giving up the medical orientation (this is not applicable to combined or sequential MD/PhD).

Up until recently, you could take your MD to Wall St and be a consultant, making much more money in much less time than your fellow newly-minted MDs in residency...but I think those days are gone for a while.

You could be an ophtho resident while moonlighting as a stripper.

As the (most likely) only MD-licensed stripper in the joint, you would be at a serious advantage.

Cash money too.

Just don't wave the singles around your fellow ophtho residents. Jealousy could rear its ugly head.
Also, don't offer refractions or phakos to your customers; it's probably to their advantage that the 60-year-old stripper is blurry and that all her gaudy jewelry has a halo.

Up until recently, you could take your MD to Wall St and be a consultant, making much more money in much less time than your fellow newly-minted MDs in residency...but I think those days are gone for a while.

I think in those situations you had to have at least done internship in order to get a license to practice medicine first. And furthermore, you still started out somewhat junior and had to work your way up a bit in the corporate world before making real money.

An M.D. just by itself is not that marketable.