MONEY!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

double elle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I just kind of wanted to get an opinion of what everyone else thinks as we get ready to go deeply into debt. Although I am extremely happy that I will be starting school in the fall, I am also scared to death that....BOOM....I owe so much money right off the bat! I realize there are thousands of medical students..some with entire families...but that doesn't really comfort me much. It's just scary, you know? Does anyone one else worry about this? I realize the income potential will take care of the loans...but for the next 4-8 years, I will know I owe owe owe owe! How did you guys let go of this?

Members don't see this ad.

You just have to accept it. You have to get it into your mind that you are blessed/lucky enough to be where you are, and who cares if you have to take out loans, most of us do anyway. I had to for even undergrad, and that was hard for me to accept.

You will soon learn that the 'comfort' is lost, such as being prepared for a test..forget it!!! You get used to going into an exam like you should have prepared so much more than you did...but that is how MOST of us feel anyway..it is an adjustment, that is all, and adjustment is KEY!!

You will be fine!! So what if you have to take out a loan, you will pay it back, as will the rest of us!

I agree with Pegasus. While I have only felt the "minor" debt that occurs with being in undergrad, the major $150,000 or more debt that could be incurred at med school doesn't bother me a bit. I don't know of too many doctors actually having a problem paying it back and when I talk to doctors I know about it, it never seems to bother them so why should I be bothered? It's a car payment, a house payment, something that has to be done so that you can live your life. It's not like you will graduate and have to pay it back in one lump sum. 10 years is a long time to pay it back and hopefully I will get it over with as soon as I can. And if I love being a doctor half as much as I anticipate I will, then I will probably spend the rest of my life wondering how I got so lucky that I am getting paid for doing something I love.