Whoot! Whoot! OSU puts their money where their mouth is with plans to add 200 in-state residency positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Death

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Specialties including IM, OB/GYN, EM, FM and Optho. Should help to offset the number of students they are adding at their branch campus starting this fall.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
  • Dislike
Reactions: 8 users
Specialties including IM, OB/GYN, EM, FM and Optho. Should help to offset the number of students they are adding at their branch campus starting this fall.
Source?

Reactions: 1 users
Dean's hour meeting today. IDK if there is a news story on it yet

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
“Plans”? I had “plans” to be a professional athlete at one point

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
OSU was never one of the bad ones. I would not be surprised if this was true.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I don't understand.
Why is there a positive thread in the DO forum.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users

Well the last thing they said they had plans for was a GI fellowship and lo and behold, there is a GI fellowship now.

When someone besides jkdoctor “whoot! Whoots!”

FC8C3F34-9863-4C8A-9D35-F72E260A6B43.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 25 users
You can bet your bottom dollar that OSU will open the residencies they say they will. They have a long track record of doing so

• Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
I have no doubt OSU will follow through on this. A school with an true academic teaching hospital, large in state OPTI, consistently favors home students for their residencies, is true to their mission, and maintains relatively smaller class sizes even though they could easily go for the $$$ and expand to a much larger size if they wanted? Not sure off the top of my head but im pretty sure their tuition is reasonable too. Yeah, they are of no concern for failing to follow through on their word.

• Haha
Its happening

Here is the list of other things happening.

OSU = GOAT DO school. Don't @ me.

Dean’s Hour overview:
Dr. Shrum using job title as secretary of science and innovation to add 200 residency spots over next 4 years

Revamp ORs at hospital with newly allotted funding- adding robotics - completed by 2021

Turning state building next to OSUMC into mental health hospital w/mental health ER and associated VA hospital in next 3 years

PA school opens Fall 2021, Tahlequah campus opens this Fall

Ophthalmology: 1 resident spot funded 100% by OSU at McGee eye institute-OU, first applicant accepted 2021

New residency programs underway: EM @ Tahlequah, FM @ St Mary’s Enid and Great salt Plains consortium, OBGYN @ Lawton, IM @ Bartlesville

• Wow
  • Hmm
Its happening

Dean’s Hour overview:
Dr. Shrum using job title as secretary of science and innovation to add 200 residency spots over next 4 years

Revamp ORs at hospital with newly allotted funding- adding robotics - completed by 2021

Turning state building next to OSUMC into mental health hospital w/mental health ER and associated VA hospital in next 3 years

Ophthalmology: 1 resident spot funded 100% by OSU at McGee eye institute-OU, first applicant accepted 2021

New residency programs underway: EM @ Tahlequah, FM @ St Mary’s Enid and Great salt Plains consortium, OBGYN @ Lawton, IM @ Bartlesville
This is great for not only OSU students for all DO’s and Med students in general considering the crazy DO school expansion happening in the next few years.

Its happening

Dean’s Hour overview:

You might be right about it being the best DO school. Its facilities, associated GME... all easily equivalent to many state MD programs.

As a pediatrician, I'd like to see them add some peds fellowships.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You might be right about it being the best DO school. Its facilities, associated GME... all easily equivalent to many state MD programs.

As a pediatrician, I'd like to see them add some peds fellowships.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

It might come in the future. It would just depend on if the specialty docs at St. Francis Children’s would be willing to support a fellowship.

Somethings are missing in this "Whoot Whoot" thread. Where's the falling sky, the doom and gloom, and the primary care or bust for all DOs? Wherever @jkdoctor is right now, he must be very disappointed in you guys for tarnishing his reputation like that.

Edit: Please feel free to turn on the dumpster fire anytime now.
Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Somethings are missing in this "Whoot Whoot" thread. Where's the falling sky, the doom and gloom, and the primary care or bust for all DOs? Wherever @jkdoctor is right now, he must be very disappointed in you guys for tarnishing his reputation like that.

Edit: Please feel free to turn on the dumpster fire anytime now.

We should all be proud to be DOs. Yes the expansion sucks but if we, as students/future physicians/current physicians don’t have respect for our degree than nobody will.

I don't understand.
Why is there a positive thread in the DO forum.
Then you don’t know the difference between OSU and most DO schools.

I am sure some for-profit school is already making a plan to fill the ‘overage’ created by OSU expanding residency slots.

• Sad
  • Haha
We should all be proud to be DOs. Yes the expansion sucks but if we, as students/future physicians/current physicians don’t have respect for our degree than nobody will.
As the future dean of RPC-COM I completely agree with this line of thinking. We must be proud of our degree, and of course, expand it to show our pride. We must boldly rotate in ways our MD Caribbean brothers have not yet thought of. For instance, I propose adding a year back in the islands for Clinical’s. We could rotate wherever the latest natural disaster was and give our students first hand experience with ‘low resource medicine.’

In fact I imagine a curriculum where multiple students shadow online via a ‘facetime-like’ app so that hundreds students could complete a core at once. In fact, we could record these rotations, thereby reducing cost and increasing standardization. We could even add an interactive resident mode where the students were ‘pimped’ by a wisecracking senior resident where you can’t advance the video experience till you answer his ‘pimp’ question.

seriously I need to stop I feel like I am predicting the future and/or giving an MBA a idea. These are all mine guys, I am copyrighting the FaceTime rotation, you can’t have it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Public DO schools carrying the AOA and osteopathic profession as usual, what’s new.

As the future dean of RPC-COM I completely agree with this line of thinking. We must be proud of our degree, and of course, expand it to show our pride. We must boldly rotate in ways our MD Caribbean brothers have not yet thought of. For instance, I propose adding a year back in the islands for Clinical’s. We could rotate wherever the latest natural disaster was and give our students first hand experience with ‘low resource medicine.’

In fact I imagine a curriculum where multiple students shadow online via a ‘facetime-like’ app so that hundreds students could complete a core at once. In fact, we could record these rotations, thereby reducing cost and increasing standardization. We could even add an interactive resident mode where the students were ‘pimped’ by a wisecracking senior resident where you can’t advance the video experience till you answer his ‘pimp’ question.

seriously I need to stop I feel like I am predicting the future and/or giving an MBA a idea. These are all mine guys, I am copyrighting the FaceTime rotation, you can’t have it.

well if you ever get to that position learn from the mistakes of the current admin and make better decisions.

You must be new here. No one is ****ting on DOs. Everyone understands that without DO schools we’d have gone out of the country with a vastly diminished chance of actually becoming practicing physicians. I Applied to medical school in 2014 and there was 31 schools I think. In just over 5 years there have been over 1000 seats added. If this doesn’t warrant at the very least tongue in cheek humor then idk what does

You must be new here. No one is ****ting on DOs. Everyone understands that without DO schools we’d have gone out of the country with a vastly diminished chance of actually becoming practicing physicians. I Applied to medical school in 2014 and there was 31 schools I think. In just over 5 years there have been over 1000 seats added. If this doesn’t warrant at the very least tongue in cheek humor then idk what does
MDs have added closed to the same amount of seats as DOs in the same timespan. That's not the problem. The problem is sub-par clinical rotations and relatively stagnant residency positions.

PCOM, DMU, KCU, CUSOM aren't public DO schools last time I checked.

Eh. I go to KCU and you can't really compare it to what I'm seeing OSU doing. Overall I like my school, but we don't have our own hospital, we have minimal GME, and they built a satellite campus and now a dental school in Joplin to "fill the rural need". Doesn't even come close to OSU.

MDs have added closed to the same amount of seats as DOs in the same timespan. That's not the problem. The problem is sub-par clinical rotations and relatively stagnant residency positions.

We do not want expanded residency spots. Also, I never said MDs didn’t. But we are supposed to self regulate our own degree. There is nothing we can do about them

Eh. I go to KCU and you can't really compare it to what I'm seeing OSU doing. Overall I like my school, but we don't have our own hospital, we have minimal GME, and they built a satellite campus and now a dental school in Joplin to "fill the rural need". Doesn't even come close to OSU.
Yes, OSU is doing what it needs to in order to “fill the rural need” of Oklahoma. If other schools were serious then the GME expansion would look similar

Average board score is not what makes a school “quality”. It used to when all you had to have to match ortho / ENT was a 650+ board score and a personality. Times are changing tho. I know students from KCU who come to OSU in the summer to try and build their apps for residency.

PCOM is far above DMU/KCU/CUSOM in my opinion as well.

OSU is quickly becoming the model for what I would call the ideal DO school. Too bad most DO schools seem to be trying to go the exact opposite route in terms of progress.

Reactions: 3 users

these forums are crawling with self-hating DOs whether it may be underwhelming education, expansion, DO-bias, etc. I honestly hope its all satirical

these forums are crawling with self-hating DOs whether it may be underwhelming education, expansion, DO-bias, etc. I honestly hope its all satirical
There are certainly a few but like politics it’s the vocal minority. I think most are just frustrated medical students who are venting their frustrations. I wouldn’t classify the few on this thread I’m familiar with as self hating.

well if you ever get to that position learn from the mistakes of the current admin and make better decisions.
Mistakes? The only mistakes I see is we are not meeting the need enough! More DOs, more rotations, less cost (to the school of course, our tuition will obviously still be above 50k adjusted for inflation yearly). I think we need to embrace more technology in healthcare. I am thinking an entire online curriculum, except we need to have standards so attendance will be mandatory on campus while students watch an online lecturer from the home campus. We have the speed set at 0.75 As we discovered thru our internal ‘research’ that this increases retention and gives students time to take notes (on paper, no devices allowed in lecture, paper increases retention). But we still also value student input hence why we have daily TBLs that make up 50% of the grade led by our visiting professors. We are on the cutting edge.

• Haha
  • Okay...
More than 1000, it was increasing at 400 a year but the last 2 have added even more.

Pointing out the massive issues with the training pathway is not “self hating.”

I’m not saying the privates are bad schools. PCOM is super legit and has solid GME.

Which DO schools have the largest OPTI, best clinical rotation sites, have said sites within a 200 mile radius of the school, teaching hospital, fulfill state/regional need, and research activity? And provide that with a tuition under $45k/yr (because personally, I think any DO education more than that is BS). I’d wager it’s the public state-funded DOs that check off most of those boxes.

I mean, if KCU's administration could stick around for more than 3 years at a time...

• Haha
Average board score is not what makes a school “quality”. It used to when all you had to have to match ortho / ENT was a 650+ board score and a personality. Times are changing tho. I know students from KCU who come to OSU in the summer to try and build their apps for residency.

PCOM is far above DMU/KCU/CUSOM in my opinion as well.
I had a lot more respect for PCOM before they opened a branch campus of their branch campus.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I’m not saying the privates are bad schools. PCOM is super legit and has solid GME.

Which DO schools have the largest OPTI, best clinical rotation sites, have said sites within a 200 mile radius of the school, teaching hospital, fulfill state/regional need, and research activity? And provide that with a tuition under $45k/yr (because personally, I think any DO education more than that is BS). I’d wager it’s the public state-funded DOs that check off most of those boxes.
Wouldn't this be LECOM? They have like 160 residency/fellowship programs and a 35k tuition.

Wouldn't this be LECOM? They have like 160 residency/fellowship programs and a 35k tuition.

I would call it's OPTI a "large" OPTI and not among the "largest". But yeah, otherwise it checks a lot of those boxes. All sites aren't within 200 mi though, and some of them are bad, but I'd bet the same could be said for PCOM and some of the public schools.

I just wanted to put an update here. I just toured OSU last month. All of this has pretty much been done minus the VA hospital which is currently being built set to open next year! Wanted to see it since I am a Veteran and use the VA. Great school.

Status
Not open for further replies.