Monthly Call Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sjt79

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is for residents:

When does your monthly call schedule come out? I am currently in a program that does not release the monthly call schedule until a day or two before the next month starts. Literally it may be the last day of the month and you have no idea that you are on call the next day. This also means that planning your life around the 4 days off a month is impossible. To make matter worse the schedule that is released hours before the month starts, often gets changed multiple times during the first 1-2 weeks.

We have talked with our program director and the attending that makes the schedule but they actually refuse to even address the topic anymore. They state that this is just the way it is and we need to deal with it. Is there some ACGME rule as to how much notice residents are to get before the start of a month, or guidelines about changing an already released schedule?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Usually we know a week or two in advance, but occasionally only days before the next month starts. I actually dont think its that uncommon. At my program the chiefs make the call schedule, maybe thats an idea your program can consider. I seriously doubt there is anything you can do about it. Asking questions might just make the powers above you bitter. Either way, I'm still able to plan around it and have not had a problem with it. Hope that helps.

-anesnavy

Currently our chiefs do make the schedule, however it needs to be "approved" and if needed modified by the attending. The chiefs usually have it done 5 weeks in advance. You are totally correct that now the powers that be are just pissed that we keep bringing it up.

Every program has a schedule every month, why it cannot be done at the begining of the prior month rather than the end blows my mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
In spring time, the rising chiefs make all the call schedules for all the rotations for all the residents. There is minor shifting depending on emergent issues, but in general that's the call schedule, unless individual residents need to switch. As an anal retentive person, I like being able to look forward to my goldens and such and this is a good way to get to do it.

This question is for residents:

When does your monthly call schedule come out? I am currently in a program that does not release the monthly call schedule until a day or two before the next month starts. Literally it may be the last day of the month and you have no idea that you are on call the next day. This also means that planning your life around the 4 days off a month is impossible. To make matter worse the schedule that is released hours before the month starts, often gets changed multiple times during the first 1-2 weeks.

That's often how it is. On some rotations I don't know the month's call schedule until the 1st of the month, so I have to assume I'm on call the first day and plan accordingly (have overnight bag with change of clothes and toothbrush packed, etc.)