Moonlighting (in gastroenterology) during fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueagave2803

Reaction score
A recruiter is asking if I am interested in a locums position with another hospital in town. I have 7 months left of GI fellowship. It will be 24 hour call including performing endoscopy (no EUS/ERCP). Is this problematic/risky- doing procedures independently before fellowship is complete? I am not saying I am board eligible yet. Even if recruiter and hospital is okay with it, will this be a problem if something happens (in the setting of a lawsuit, for example).

Members don't see this ad.

recruiter may not realize you are not graduated.

i am about 99.9% sure this is not allowed and essentially illegal. hard stop

Reactions: 1 user
No insurance provider will allow this. None will reimburse you for the procedures and malpractice insurance will not cover you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless is for a million dollars and comes with uncapped tail coverage wouldn't go near it with a 50 foot pole, some rare hospitals in podunk usa still credential family practictioners to scope but this day in age, it isn't Worth it, pick up hospitalist or icu shifts instead for a little less until you graduate or would find a sign on bonus somewhere, they still exist, good luck

Not to mention, if somehow someone (erroneously) put your credentialing through and you started working, and something happened, you’re DONE.