Moonlighting (in gastroenterology) during fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

blueagave2803

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A recruiter is asking if I am interested in a locums position with another hospital in town. I have 7 months left of GI fellowship. It will be 24 hour call including performing endoscopy (no EUS/ERCP). Is this problematic/risky- doing procedures independently before fellowship is complete? I am not saying I am board eligible yet. Even if recruiter and hospital is okay with it, will this be a problem if something happens (in the setting of a lawsuit, for example).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Unless is for a million dollars and comes with uncapped tail coverage wouldn't go near it with a 50 foot pole, some rare hospitals in podunk usa still credential family practictioners to scope but this day in age, it isn't Worth it, pick up hospitalist or icu shifts instead for a little less until you graduate or would find a sign on bonus somewhere, they still exist, good luck
 
Not to mention, if somehow someone (erroneously) put your credentialing through and you started working, and something happened, you’re DONE.