Official 2022-2023 Gastroenterology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Guys, do we have a What's app/telegram group for this cycle? If so, would you please share the link?

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone give me their input on my chances of matching?
* US IMG
* University Hospital - Average ranking of the hospital
* USMLE scores: Step 1 255+, Step 2 260+, Step 3 250+
* ITE scores: 100% percentile in both PGY1 & PGY2
* Manuscripts: 16 (3 first author, 4 second author, 4 3rd author)
* Abstracts: 30+, 7 awards at ACG & DDW
* Residency awards: Teaching excellence award
* LoR: PD (very strong letter), internationally renown GI attending, 2 other GI attending physicians
* Several leadership & volunteering experiences

As a fellow applicant, this looks very stellar... I think you'll have no problems matching.. very impressive! Congratulations on your accomplishments

* US IMG
* LoR: PD (very strong letter), internationally renown GI attending, 2 other GI attending physicians
Haha chill. Save some interviews for the rest of us!
Looks like you’ll be just fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
* US IMG
Lol I’m sure it’s real but this is a borderline troll post. What other answers did you expect besides complements? 😂

August 1st .. It's too early.
September .. Still early.
October .. It can be any minute. Flood my inbox, please.
November .. Season concluding.
December .. Hey! Can you start all over?! :D

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you for your feedback! Yes, the H1b requirement and community-based residency program are major limiting factors. I've heard people with much stronger research backgrounds did not get any interviews (presumably) because of H1b, but at the same time someone with an appears-to-be weaker package got 10+ IVs and matched to a good program last year. Very confusing... Anyways, guess I will find out ;)

Thank you for your feedback! Yes, the H1b requirement and community-based residency program are major limiting factors. I've heard people with much stronger research backgrounds did not get any interviews (presumably) because of H1b, but at the same time someone with an appears-to-be weaker package got 10+ IVs and matched to a good program last year. Very confusing... Anyways, guess I will find out ;)

Not sure you can get much stronger in terms of research for a applicant than what you already have, past a certain point it’s diminishing returns. Control what you can control and forget the rest. Your future’s path will reveal itself in short order, no point in stressing about things that cannot be changed. Make good use of whatever interviews you get and seal the deal. Best of luck.

Hey everybody! First time applying and hoping to get an idea to set realistic expectations for myself.

Med School: US-IMG (Caribbean)
Residency: Fourth year chief resident at home institute - mid-tier University program
Step 1: 245
Step 2 CK: 255
Step 2 CS: Pass (first attempt)
Step 3: 233
Research: 6 publications (2 original research, 4 case reports), 1 accepted original article, 3 more submitted, 2 book chapters, 20 posters (14 DDW and ACG and the others local ACP, etc)
Others: Won a couple of awards during residency and was on multiple committees (no clue how much this really matters)

Good luck to everybody!!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! First time applying as well! Thank you in advance for your thoughts and good luck to everyone!

Med School: US-MD Mid-Tier
Residency: Mid-tier University Program
Step 1: 196
Step 2 CK: 240
Step 3: 230
Research: 6 publications (4 original first author research, 2 case reports), 1 published ahead of print original article, 5 submitted, 30 posters (25 DDW and ACG and rest other national conferences ATS/ACC)
Others: Intern/Senior of the Year, Captain at EMS Squad, Leader in Med School Committees, Currently getting Masters Degree as well

Thank you and good luck!

Last edited:
FYI interviews are being posted on excel sheet on the first page of this forum ( seems so far 3 programs sent out). Would it be ok to post here if anyone gets II as well just so we know unless that will saturate the forum too much then nvm.. thx

Members don't see this ad :)
Silence!
Reminder: A WhatsApp group is gonna be easier for communication and to get notifications instantly.

Hey everybody! First time applying and hoping to get an idea to set realistic expectations for myself.

Med School: US-IMG (Caribbean)
Residency: Fourth year chief resident at home institute - mid-tier University program
Step 1: 245
Step 2 CK: 255
Step 3: 233
Research: 6 publications (2 original research, 4 case reports), 1 accepted original article, 3 more submitted, 2 book chapters, 20 posters (14 DDW and ACG and the others local ACP, etc)
Others: Won a couple of awards during residency and was on multiple committees (no clue how much this really matters)

Good luck to everybody!!

Just curious why didn’t you apply last year? Your app looks pretty good…

Just curious why didn’t you apply last year? Your app looks pretty good…
I knew coming into residency that I wanted to do a chief year. I also knew coming in that being a Caribbean grad would be an uphill battle so figured doing a chief year would help there as well.

when to expect interview invites?

August 1st: Lots of invitations and AASLD acceptances ;-)

Reactions: 1 users

I think you probably missed the group that was created already (see the post directly above yours) I may request that you delete you post as leaving it up will likely create confusion and divide the group. Although admittedly I don’t particularly have a vested interested as I briefly joined the group only to see it was a bunch of joining and no talking and later left once I saw it’s tied to your phone number (identifiable info) and completely open to the public (programs) to monitor. But I bring it up regardless in an effort to keep the info organized. I still think the spreadsheet and this forum are the best way to communicate these things.

Reactions: 4 users
Good luck for this week everyone! Exciting days ahead of us. :)

I applied to a program with two tracks (research track and clinical track). I only applied to the clinical program, but recieved interview to the Research Track. Is this typical or could it have been a mistake?

I have experienced the same. Don't know if I shud write an email to verify or just sched the int.

Only Mayo - Rochester

Anyone else mildly freaking out?

Based on our interview sheet, it seems like things are flowing somewhat more slowly this year. Still early, hang in there.

Hope everybody is doing fine. I am starting to feel a little nervous from today....
More confusing when your app has been evaluated by your own prog director, chiefs, attendings with little doubts for getting int invites.

Hope everybody is doing fine. I am starting to feel a little nervous from today....
More confusing when your app has been evaluated by your own prog director, chiefs, attendings with little doubts for getting int invites.
What do you mean by "with little doubts for getting int invites"? Typically home programs interview their own out of courtesy if nothing else. Also its still very early in the cycle, things are starting to trickle in bit more now, but still only about ~10% of programs have release invites. Maintain faith.

What do you mean by "with little doubts for getting int invites"? Typically home programs interview their own out of courtesy if nothing else. Also its still very early in the cycle, things are starting to trickle in bit more now, but still only about ~10% of programs have release invites. Maintain faith.
Meaning, after reviewing my app (which they do for all the residents ) feedback was I should expect a decent number of interviews.

Meaning, after reviewing my app (which they do for all the residents ) feedback was I should expect a decent number of interviews.
Same here, a lot of us are in the same boat. What I'm thinking is that programs are filtering out the top top applicants with best schools, highest step scores first and see if those are quality applicants offering them interviews first. Then I think they will start to look at normal applicants after that.. This is based off the excel sheet under "applicants" who have received interviews thus far

Last edited:
Ah, got it. I took your original post to mean you received negative feedback from your program regarding even getting an interview invite there. I am not sure what the rhyme or reason to interview order is, or if there even is one. What Central Line Expert said sounds plausible. Alternatively, who knows if programs are trying to be more concientous in who they interview virtually to put the genie back in the bottle regarding nuclear option application of everyone applying everywhere because interview barriers are so low now that things are virtual and they prefer to have a short list of candidates, meaning when you do get an interview perhaps its more meaningful. Again, that is purely speculation and I have truly no insider knowledge there.

More senior posters like @ChessMaster3000 , @ShiShiMD, @gutonc and @Scope guy may have more experienced view of such things, although they have been more notably silent (less active as of late)

Last edited:
Ah, got it. I took your original post to mean you received negative feedback from your program regarding even getting an interview invite there. I am not sure what the rhyme or reason to interview order is, or if there even is one. What Central Line Expert said sounds plausible. Alternatively, who knows if programs are trying to be more concientous in who they interview virtually to put the genie of nuclear option application of everyone applying everywhere because interview barriers are so low now that things are virtual and they prefer to have a short list of candidates, meaning when you do get an interview perhaps its more meaningful. Again, that is purely speculation and I have truly no insider knowledge there.

More senior posters like @ChessMaster3000 , @ShiShiMD, @gutonc and @Scope guy may have more experienced view of such things, although they have been more notably silent (less active as of late)
Thanks

Does anyone have insight into the amount of candidates programs interview? 5-10 per position?

Does anyone have insight into the amount of candidates programs interview? 5-10 per position?

I think historically rule of thumb is somewhere around 7-10 per position, I imagine the advent of virtual interviews pushed closer to the 10 number if not higher. Although who knows what sort of initiatives they are pushing (if any) to try and reign things in and return to normalcy.

So… medpeds here.
A bit worried here.
Only one program got back to me (rejection), Mayo Rochester.
Has anyone gotten any more?

So… medpeds here.
A bit worried here.
Only one program got back to me (rejection), Mayo Rochester.
Has anyone gotten any more?
I believe UC Davis sent out rejections as well if you applied there. Otherwise, it appears to be more of a calm hump day today, in either direction.

Cincinnati and Ohio State are reporting rejections. Baylor sent a mass email saying T-32 position was filled internally to anyone who applied to clinical also.

+4
I think this year is moving a lot slower than last. Next week is likely the “busy” week

I only have 1 interview. Am I doomed?

Did anyone get an invitation for an open house from Icahn Mt Sinai? It’s not an interview invitation.
A colleague of mine applied for pulmonary also received this invitation, however, he has an int invite.
:unsure:

Appreciate this thread. Pushing the BEST vibes to all of you here. I applied to 31 programs. Zero interviews, zero rejections, thus far. Thank you for setting up the Whatsapp groups, as well. Good luck to all!