- Home
- Forums
- Physician and Resident Communities (MD / DO)
- Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties
- Gastroenterology
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Official 2022-2023 Gastroenterology Fellowship Application Cycle
Started by slopes23
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
CentralLineexpert
Full Member
Can someone give me their input on my chances of matching?
* US IMG
* University Hospital - Average ranking of the hospital
* USMLE scores: Step 1 255+, Step 2 260+, Step 3 250+
* ITE scores: 100% percentile in both PGY1 & PGY2
* Manuscripts: 16 (3 first author, 4 second author, 4 3rd author)
* Abstracts: 30+, 7 awards at ACG & DDW
* Residency awards: Teaching excellence award
* LoR: PD (very strong letter), internationally renown GI attending, 2 other GI attending physicians
* Several leadership & volunteering experiences
As a fellow applicant, this looks very stellar... I think you'll have no problems matching.. very impressive! Congratulations on your accomplishments
Haha chill. Save some interviews for the rest of us!Can someone give me their input on my chances of matching?
* US IMG
* University Hospital - Average ranking of the hospital
* USMLE scores: Step 1 255+, Step 2 260+, Step 3 250+
* ITE scores: 100% percentile in both PGY1 & PGY2
* Manuscripts: 16 (3 first author, 4 second author, 4 3rd author)
* Abstracts: 30+, 7 awards at ACG & DDW
* Residency awards: Teaching excellence award
* LoR: PD (very strong letter), internationally renown GI attending, 2 other GI attending physicians
* Several leadership & volunteering experiences
Looks like you’ll be just fine.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol I’m sure it’s real but this is a borderline troll post. What other answers did you expect besides complements? 😂Can someone give me their input on my chances of matching?
* US IMG
* University Hospital - Average ranking of the hospital
* USMLE scores: Step 1 255+, Step 2 260+, Step 3 250+
* ITE scores: 100% percentile in both PGY1 & PGY2
* Manuscripts: 16 (3 first author, 4 second author, 4 3rd author)
* Abstracts: 30+, 7 awards at ACG & DDW
* Residency awards: Teaching excellence award
* LoR: PD (very strong letter), internationally renown GI attending, 2 other GI attending physicians
* Several leadership & volunteering experiences
CentralLineexpert
Full Member
Lol I guess it was a troll post, his account was deleted... Why do people want to create unnecessary stress?Lol I’m sure it’s real but this is a borderline troll post. What other answers did you expect besides complements? 😂
August 1st .. It's too early.
September .. Still early.
October .. It can be any minute. Flood my inbox, please.
November .. Season concluding.
December .. Hey! Can you start all over?! 😀
September .. Still early.
October .. It can be any minute. Flood my inbox, please.
November .. Season concluding.
December .. Hey! Can you start all over?! 😀
Thank you for your feedback! Yes, the H1b requirement and community-based residency program are major limiting factors. I've heard people with much stronger research backgrounds did not get any interviews (presumably) because of H1b, but at the same time someone with an appears-to-be weaker package got 10+ IVs and matched to a good program last year. Very confusing... Anyways, guess I will find out 😉
Have you already created one? or do you want me to create one?Lets do it, I would also like to participate!
Go ahead, man. Start a group and the rest will join.Have you already created one? or do you want me to create one?
Thank you for your feedback! Yes, the H1b requirement and community-based residency program are major limiting factors. I've heard people with much stronger research backgrounds did not get any interviews (presumably) because of H1b, but at the same time someone with an appears-to-be weaker package got 10+ IVs and matched to a good program last year. Very confusing... Anyways, guess I will find out 😉
Not sure you can get much stronger in terms of research for a applicant than what you already have, past a certain point it’s diminishing returns. Control what you can control and forget the rest. Your future’s path will reveal itself in short order, no point in stressing about things that cannot be changed. Make good use of whatever interviews you get and seal the deal. Best of luck.
Hey everybody! First time applying and hoping to get an idea to set realistic expectations for myself.
Med School: US-IMG (Caribbean)
Residency: Fourth year chief resident at home institute - mid-tier University program
Step 1: 245
Step 2 CK: 255
Step 2 CS: Pass (first attempt)
Step 3: 233
Research: 6 publications (2 original research, 4 case reports), 1 accepted original article, 3 more submitted, 2 book chapters, 20 posters (14 DDW and ACG and the others local ACP, etc)
Others: Won a couple of awards during residency and was on multiple committees (no clue how much this really matters)
Good luck to everybody!!
Med School: US-IMG (Caribbean)
Residency: Fourth year chief resident at home institute - mid-tier University program
Step 1: 245
Step 2 CK: 255
Step 2 CS: Pass (first attempt)
Step 3: 233
Research: 6 publications (2 original research, 4 case reports), 1 accepted original article, 3 more submitted, 2 book chapters, 20 posters (14 DDW and ACG and the others local ACP, etc)
Others: Won a couple of awards during residency and was on multiple committees (no clue how much this really matters)
Good luck to everybody!!
Last edited:
gihopeful12
New Member
Hi everyone! First time applying as well! Thank you in advance for your thoughts and good luck to everyone!
Med School: US-MD Mid-Tier
Residency: Mid-tier University Program
Step 1: 196
Step 2 CK: 240
Step 2 CS: Pass (first attempt)
Step 3: 230
Research: 6 publications (4 original first author research, 2 case reports), 1 published ahead of print original article, 5 submitted, 30 posters (25 DDW and ACG and rest other national conferences ATS/ACC)
Others: Intern/Senior of the Year, Captain at EMS Squad, Leader in Med School Committees, Currently getting Masters Degree as well
Thank you and good luck!
Med School: US-MD Mid-Tier
Residency: Mid-tier University Program
Step 1: 196
Step 2 CK: 240
Step 2 CS: Pass (first attempt)
Step 3: 230
Research: 6 publications (4 original first author research, 2 case reports), 1 published ahead of print original article, 5 submitted, 30 posters (25 DDW and ACG and rest other national conferences ATS/ACC)
Others: Intern/Senior of the Year, Captain at EMS Squad, Leader in Med School Committees, Currently getting Masters Degree as well
Thank you and good luck!
Last edited:
CentralLineexpert
Full Member
FYI interviews are being posted on excel sheet on the first page of this forum ( seems so far 3 programs sent out). Would it be ok to post here if anyone gets II as well just so we know unless that will saturate the forum too much then nvm.. thx
Silence!
Reminder: A WhatsApp group is gonna be easier for communication and to get notifications instantly.
Reminder: A WhatsApp group is gonna be easier for communication and to get notifications instantly.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everybody! First time applying and hoping to get an idea to set realistic expectations for myself.
Med School: US-IMG (Caribbean)
Residency: Fourth year chief resident at home institute - mid-tier University program
Step 1: 245
Step 2 CK: 255
Step 2 CS: Pass (first attempt)
Step 3: 233
Research: 6 publications (2 original research, 4 case reports), 1 accepted original article, 3 more submitted, 2 book chapters, 20 posters (14 DDW and ACG and the others local ACP, etc)
Others: Won a couple of awards during residency and was on multiple committees (no clue how much this really matters)
Good luck to everybody!!
Just curious why didn’t you apply last year? Your app looks pretty good…
I knew coming into residency that I wanted to do a chief year. I also knew coming in that being a Caribbean grad would be an uphill battle so figured doing a chief year would help there as well.Just curious why didn’t you apply last year? Your app looks pretty good…
August 1st: Lots of invitations and AASLD acceptances ;-)
Below is the whatsapp group for easier communication
I think you probably missed the group that was created already (see the post directly above yours) I may request that you delete you post as leaving it up will likely create confusion and divide the group. Although admittedly I don’t particularly have a vested interested as I briefly joined the group only to see it was a bunch of joining and no talking and later left once I saw it’s tied to your phone number (identifiable info) and completely open to the public (programs) to monitor. But I bring it up regardless in an effort to keep the info organized. I still think the spreadsheet and this forum are the best way to communicate these things.
Any rejections went out yet?
Only Mayo - Rochester
Anyone else mildly freaking out?
Anyone else mildly freaking out?
Based on our interview sheet, it seems like things are flowing somewhat more slowly this year. Still early, hang in there.
2. 1 from Mayo Clinic Rochester and 1 from UC DavisAny rejections went out yet?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same2. 1 from Mayo Clinic Rochester and 1 from UC Davis
What do you mean by "with little doubts for getting int invites"? Typically home programs interview their own out of courtesy if nothing else. Also its still very early in the cycle, things are starting to trickle in bit more now, but still only about ~10% of programs have release invites. Maintain faith.Hope everybody is doing fine. I am starting to feel a little nervous from today....
More confusing when your app has been evaluated by your own prog director, chiefs, attendings with little doubts for getting int invites.
Meaning, after reviewing my app (which they do for all the residents ) feedback was I should expect a decent number of interviews.What do you mean by "with little doubts for getting int invites"? Typically home programs interview their own out of courtesy if nothing else. Also its still very early in the cycle, things are starting to trickle in bit more now, but still only about ~10% of programs have release invites. Maintain faith.
CentralLineexpert
Full Member
Same here, a lot of us are in the same boat. What I'm thinking is that programs are filtering out the top top applicants with best schools, highest step scores first and see if those are quality applicants offering them interviews first. Then I think they will start to look at normal applicants after that.. This is based off the excel sheet under "applicants" who have received interviews thus farMeaning, after reviewing my app (which they do for all the residents ) feedback was I should expect a decent number of interviews.
Last edited:
Ah, got it. I took your original post to mean you received negative feedback from your program regarding even getting an interview invite there. I am not sure what the rhyme or reason to interview order is, or if there even is one. What Central Line Expert said sounds plausible. Alternatively, who knows if programs are trying to be more concientous in who they interview virtually to put the genie back in the bottle regarding nuclear option application of everyone applying everywhere because interview barriers are so low now that things are virtual and they prefer to have a short list of candidates, meaning when you do get an interview perhaps its more meaningful. Again, that is purely speculation and I have truly no insider knowledge there.Meaning, after reviewing my app (which they do for all the residents ) feedback was I should expect a decent number of interviews.
More senior posters like @ChessMaster3000 , @ShiShiMD, @gutonc and @Scope guy may have more experienced view of such things, although they have been more notably silent (less active as of late)
Last edited:
ThanksAh, got it. I took your original post to mean you received negative feedback from your program regarding even getting an interview invite there. I am not sure what the rhyme or reason to interview order is, or if there even is one. What Central Line Expert said sounds plausible. Alternatively, who knows if programs are trying to be more concientous in who they interview virtually to put the genie of nuclear option application of everyone applying everywhere because interview barriers are so low now that things are virtual and they prefer to have a short list of candidates, meaning when you do get an interview perhaps its more meaningful. Again, that is purely speculation and I have truly no insider knowledge there.
More senior posters like @ChessMaster3000 , @ShiShiMD, @gutonc and @Scope guy may have more experienced view of such things, although they have been more notably silent (less active as of late)
Does anyone have insight into the amount of candidates programs interview? 5-10 per position?
I think historically rule of thumb is somewhere around 7-10 per position, I imagine the advent of virtual interviews pushed closer to the 10 number if not higher. Although who knows what sort of initiatives they are pushing (if any) to try and reign things in and return to normalcy.
jagarmar92
New Member
So… medpeds here.
A bit worried here.
Only one program got back to me (rejection), Mayo Rochester.
Has anyone gotten any more?
A bit worried here.
Only one program got back to me (rejection), Mayo Rochester.
Has anyone gotten any more?
I believe UC Davis sent out rejections as well if you applied there. Otherwise, it appears to be more of a calm hump day today, in either direction.So… medpeds here.
A bit worried here.
Only one program got back to me (rejection), Mayo Rochester.
Has anyone gotten any more?
Cincinnati and Ohio State are reporting rejections. Baylor sent a mass email saying T-32 position was filled internally to anyone who applied to clinical also.
+4
I think this year is moving a lot slower than last. Next week is likely the “busy” week
I think this year is moving a lot slower than last. Next week is likely the “busy” week
Consider yourself lucky buddy 😂I only have 1 interview. Am I doomed?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
100% better than zero.I only have 1 interview. Am I doomed?
I’m just joking around but I think a lot of people are sitting at zero interviews right now.Why?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 30K
- Replies
- 32
- Views
- 45K
- Replies
- 14
- Views
- 5K