Moonlighting Non-Compete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The JockDoc

lighting up the court
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering moonlighting by doing soc security disability evals for a company in my area. The employment contract looks kosher to me until I reviewed the non-compete section, which states that the "Physician agrees not to perform Social Security disability evaluations for a period of two years". There is no geographic limitation described with the 2 years.

I assume this can be interpreted as nationally enforceable, which seems overly limiting. I was expecting a clear geographical area of enforcement. Does anyone know if this is normal in SSD eval contracts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm considering moonlighting by doing soc security disability evals for a company in my area. The employment contract looks kosher to me until I reviewed the non-compete section, which states that the "Physician agrees not to perform Social Security disability evaluations for a period of two years". There is no geographic limitation described with the 2 years.

I assume this can be interpreted as nationally enforceable, which seems overly limiting. I was expecting a clear geographical area of enforcement to be described. Does anyone know if this is normal in SSD eval contracts?

non-competes without a reasonable geographic radius have been shown to be non-enforcable in most states. However, that begs the question; are you really going to be doing SSI evals when you are in private practice? I refuse to do them since the compensation is so low. SSI pays what, $70?

non-competes without a reasonable geographic radius have been shown to be non-enforcable in most states. However, that begs the question; are you really going to be doing SSI evals when you are in private practice? I refuse to do them since the compensation is so low. SSI pays what, $70?

I agree that I likely wouldn't be doing it as an attending due to low compensation. OTOH, I may be interested in doing them on the side for another moonlighting gig if I am in fellowship, which would be within 2 years.