Moonlighting on the Pediatric Ward

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ccthedoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a second year resident and my program does not currently have any moonlighting opportunities. However, our current system of night coverage will be ending soon. Several of my fellow residents and I are interested in moonlighting to earn some extra cash. I was told that we would need our own malpractice insurance.

Does anyone know how to go about this and how reasonable this (the cost) would be? Is it possible to just add additional coverage to our current malpractice insurance? :confused:

What have others done in the past and what are people doing now? We would really appreciate your input and advice!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ccthedoc said:
Hi, I am a second year resident and my program does not currently have any moonlighting opportunities. However, our current system of night coverage will be ending soon. Several of my fellow residents and I are interested in moonlighting to earn some extra cash. I was told that we would need our own malpractice insurance.

Does anyone know how to go about this and how reasonable this (the cost) would be? Is it possible to just add additional coverage to our current malpractice insurance? :confused:

What have others done in the past and what are people doing now? We would really appreciate your input and advice!

Thanks!

Hmm, don't know for sure, but I imagine you would need need an unrestricted license to get coverage -- many R2s have these, but many only have a training license. Also, remember that moonlighting at your own hospital counts towards the 80 hour work week!

Ed.

If you are moonlighting in your program within the framework of your program then you are covered under your program.
If you get your state license and go work as a hospitalist, etc then your malpractice is also covered by the place hiring you.
(If not then this is spelled out very clearly before they will allow you to work.)
Depending on where you live, yes it can be pretty expensive.
However if you are an R2 working in your own program getting paid to fill in gaps in the night call schedule, you have nothing to worry about in terms of buying your own malpractice.
I did this many times as both a resident and a fellow and never even had malpractive coverage come up in discussion

PS: those maniacs in AMSA really screwed the people that liked to make lots of $$ doing moonlighting.
The 80 hr rule, BTW ,disappears the minute you finish your training!!

Only the old farts ( older than 30 something) can currently legally work over 80+ hrs The young and fresh residents and fellows have to limit their hours.

Silly!!