moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scubadoc78

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've asked around about moonlighting and, at least at my university, the psych residents say they make $165/hour and the IM docs say they get $100/hour.

is $100-$165/hour typical where you guys are? that seems like a ton. is moonlighting rate of payment something i can ask about during residency interviews or will i get the "you're only in medicine for money??" rainstorm brought down upon me?

Members don't see this ad.

Those numbers seem high, but it depends on what the job entails. Moonlighting jobs for IM/FP in my area ranged from 40 to 125 with an average of approximately 70 an hour. Just ask if moonlighting is supported; asking about moonlighting salary doesn't make sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those numbers seem high, but it depends on what the job entails. Moonlighting jobs for IM/FP in my area ranged from 40 to 125 with an average of approximately 70 an hour. Just ask if moonlighting is supported; asking about moonlighting salary doesn't make sense.

In my state, psychiatry is in severe need and I've had a number of residents tell me they've tripled their income by moonlighting once/week. They actually are flown by plane around the state! We're at the bottom of the country in terms of numbers with only two metro areas having any at all so it's desperation.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
One you get your unrestricted license, you can look for "outside" opportunities where rates may even be higher. However, many programs have restrictions/limitations on moonlighting to be sure to ask.

Moonlighting is done outside your residency so the hourly wage depends on who is hiring you. I moonlighted in Texas at urgent care for $75/hr and was the director of the plasma center (a figurehead/paperwork job) for $65/hr. I worked an extra 8-10 hours a week for a year and essentially doubled my resident's salary with little effort. Remember that in order to moonlight you have to have passes step III and apply for a license to practice in that state and you have to carry your own malpractice insurance. In Texas it took me 9 months to get licensed at a cost of about $2500 up front just to get started. Granted I made that back in the end but it's hard to come up with if you are not careful with your money. Also, I had to have my moonlighting hours approved by my residency program director ahead of time because you cannot go over the 80hr work week with all the hours tallied. If you get caught going over it can mean big trouble for you and the program. Plus I had to make sure all my dictations and residency paperwork was up to date before my DME would approved my hours. It's a real pain.

Last edited:
cabinbuilder, I am in the process of getting licensed to moonlight myself, just waiting on board approval, then have to apply for the DEA.
I do have a question about the malpractice insurance though....how expensive was it, and how did you go about looking for it? also, did any of your employers offer to cover you?

cabinbuilder, I am in the process of getting licensed to moonlight myself, just waiting on board approval, then have to apply for the DEA.
I do have a question about the malpractice insurance though....how expensive was it, and how did you go about looking for it? also, did any of your employers offer to cover you?

When I was director of the Plasma center that job covered my malpractice. However, for my other jobs - especially urgent care I had to provide my own. I used a company in Texas called TMLT that cost me $1500/yr which I paid quarterly and also provides TAIL coverage. They have specific policy for moonlighting residents so it wasn't that much. I'm not sure if there is a national plan or if your state has it's own. You should be able to ask some of the upper residents or attendings (that's what I did) to recommend a plan to you.

At my program we moonlight in house at the urgent care center and er for 65 and 100 per hour respectively. We never had to pay anything for malpractice insurance and the opportunity was just presented to us at the beginning of second year. There are also some off site affiliated spots. Food is free, we get a lot of rotations with no weekend call and most holidays off (all off for first years)as well as 3 weeks vacation. We are unopposed in a large regional medical center with a very friendly atmosphere and really good teaching from attendings that have been around forever with about everything but neurosurgery.

Last edited:
At my program we moonlight in house at the urgent care center and er for 65 and 100 per hour respectively. We never had to pay anything for malpractice insurance and the opportunity was just presented to us at the beginning of second year. There are also some off site affiliated spots. Food is free, we get a lot of rotations with no weekend call and most holidays off (all off for first years)as well as 3 weeks vacation. We are unopposed in a large regional medical center with a very friendly atmosphere and really good teaching from attendings that have been around forever with about everything but neurosurgery.

I wish, but we don't have many in house opportunities at our hospital. ED has their own residents. Only one we hear about is from the NICU which is offering the outrageous rate of $45/hour! I'm on my own looking for outside opportunities and will have to get a DEA number AND malpractice insurance. Sure wish I could be the MD director of a plasma center! There is one right across the street from my hospital!