More Critical Care stuff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SleepyTime

Midwestern Univ, Phoenix.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Another MS3 here. I just did a critical care search. Found some good info. Hoped to ask a few more questions. Whoever might have some insight, please advise.

These questions are because I am genuinely interested in doing primarily CCM.

There are various forecasts for the future of Critical Care Medicine--some positive, others not quite as positive. Is it true the specialty might die?

I noticed there are far fewer USA anesthesiologists in CCM. Is there any difficulty finding work as an anesthesiologist-intensivist as opposed to going the internal medicine route?

What is the job market like for intensivists these days ?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

SleepyTime said:
Another MS3 here. I just did a critical care search. Found some good info. Hoped to ask a few more questions. Whoever might have some insight, please advise.

These questions are because I am genuinely interested in doing primarily CCM.

There are various forecasts for the future of Critical Care Medicine--some positive, others not quite as positive. Is it true the specialty might die?

I noticed there are far fewer USA anesthesiologists in CCM. Is there any difficulty finding work as an anesthesiologist-intensivist as opposed to going the internal medicine route?

What is the job market like for intensivists these days ?

Thank you for your thoughts.

The buzz I've heard is that anesthesiologists would rather administer anesthesia than work in the ICU because, among other reasons, anesthesia pays better. The ASA is trying to maintain/expand the prevalence of anesthesiologists in the ICU so as to provide a career outlet in the event that job shortages and a provider glut in anesthesia arise in the future.

Thank you, I.A.

-Matt

Members don't see this ad :)
InductionAgent said:
The buzz I've heard is that anesthesiologists would rather administer anesthesia than work in the ICU because, among other reasons, anesthesia pays better. The ASA is trying to maintain/expand the prevalence of anesthesiologists in the ICU so as to provide a career outlet in the event that job shortages and a provider glut in anesthesia arise in the future.

I agree. The problem isn't that an Anesth based Intensivist can't find a job, it is finding an Anesth resident that would turn down $250k/yr to do a fellowship for one more year then start at a lower salary with harder/more hours. You really have to love it. Financially it really doesn't add up.

The market will be strong for intensivists for several years to come. It really doesn't matter what your base training is (IM/Surg/Anesth.....EM is a whole other post) a true multidisciplinary trained intensivist can work in any ICU.

KG

KGUNNER1 said:
I agree. The problem isn't that an Anesth based Intensivist can't find a job, it is finding an Anesth resident that would turn down $250k/yr to do a fellowship for one more year then start at a lower salary with harder/more hours. You really have to love it. Financially it really doesn't add up.

The market will be strong for intensivists for several years to come. It really doesn't matter what your base training is (IM/Surg/Anesth.....EM is a whole other post) a true multidisciplinary trained intensivist can work in any ICU.

KG

I think that the market for intensivist will only increase in time. Research shows that you have better outcomes and spend less money overall in closed ICUs. Anesthesia should not completely relinquish(sp?) CCM to IM and Surg.
Anesthesiologist are in my view the best at handling the issues that arise in the MICU/SICU.

CambieMD

p.s. CCM fellowship programs in anesthesia seem to be few and far between.

CambieMD said:
I think that the market for intensivist will only increase in time. Research shows that you have better outcomes and spend less money overall in closed ICUs. Anesthesia should not completely relinquish(sp?) CCM to IM and Surg.
Anesthesiologist are in my view the best at handling the issues that arise in the MICU/SICU.

CambieMD

p.s. CCM fellowship programs in anesthesia seem to be few and far between.

Do any of you know how Fellowship directors look at apps from docs who got out of residency, worked for a couple of years and then went back to do a CC fellowhip? I am very intrested in doing primarily CC, but like the idea of being able to make a little money, buy a house, pay down my school debit passing gas for a little while before the CC fellowship. However I do not want my fellowship app to be frowned upon because I am not directly from residency.

btw I have found a number of CC fellowships for anesth docs.

thanks!
ZR

if you pass gas for a few years making good money, i doubt you would want to return for a critical care fellowship and then subsequently settle for less income with worse hours....

critical care anesthesiologists will increase as ICU reimbursements go up.... but as long as residents see an average salary 300 and median salary 330/k, doubt it.

Tenesma said:
if you pass gas for a few years making good money, i doubt you would want to return for a critical care fellowship and then subsequently settle for less income with worse hours....

critical care anesthesiologists will increase as ICU reimbursements go up.... but as long as residents see an average salary 300 and median salary 330/k, doubt it.

I agree with T. I can't tell you how many guys I've talked with that had this idea, only to find a "real life" to sweet to give up to be a grunt for another year, knowing when you get out you'll be taking a pay cut.

KG