More emphasis on certain MCAT topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missdoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So every now and then I see in the threads that certain topics have been emphasized more on recent MCATs.. like an increase in genetics passages and also less on organic chemistry. Is this information coming from those who took it themselves or did AAMC formally state this somewhere?

Are there any other topics that the MCAT likely focuses on more/less?

Thanks for any info!

Members don't see this ad.

I took the June MCAT.. everyone told me that there had been less of o chem recently (i.e. only one passage). Also, like you said in your post, a lot of ppl/books suggest that there are some high frequency topics.

I got two o chem passages (atypical, apparently of more recent tests..but again this is anecdotal). I also got very few acid base and electrochem passages/questions..I don't remember exactly what my test had but I remember very clearly that I was disappointed that there weren't that many questions on those two topics because I had studied them really well.

So as the previous poster mentioned, I think it's best to cover all your topics. I would say that there definitely are some important topics (compared to others) in the MCAT content (i.e., topics like acid base) but there's definitely an element of luck in every test...in terms of passage difficulty, passage length and topics tested...the best way to mitigate the "luck" element is to ensure you study everything.