More lists.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
F

flamestodust

Is there a source for rankings of the best residency programs in certain specialties? Where can I access this list?

Members don't see this ad.

Cheeky response:

Your butt.

Pull the rankings out of your butt. It seems that's what everyone else here does. You will find no consensus on this issue, so don't put any faith into any list you see. Unlike med schools, which some believe can be ranked, residency programs are like jobs. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks but you. YOU will be the one busting your tail for 4 years, so most people make their decision based on the people they meet and the town.

There are certainly clinical components that some programs are well-known for, among other strengths. Typically, medical students choose which of these strengths are most important. Because students seek different things for their residency, any list is rendered pretty mush useless for all practical purposes other than arguments on these boards.

1) Find out who the big dogs are in your specialty of interest.
2) Find out where they are employed.
3) Apply to those programs.

**** rankings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a source for rankings of the best residency programs in certain specialties? Where can I access this list?

I must compete! I must be better than everybody else! It is the premed way!

I must compete! I must be better than everybody else! It is the premed way!

Yeah, because I should just arbitrarily choose a hospital to spend four years at, almost like I arbitrarily chose a medical school. Oh wait, I spent a year flying around the country checking those places out.

It's not a matter of competition. It's a matter that I don't want Dr. Hobunk in Cardiology at Iowa State teaching me the delicacies of plastics.

Yeah, because I should just arbitrarily choose a hospital to spend four years at, almost like I arbitrarily chose a medical school. Oh wait, I spent a year flying around the country checking those places out.

You forget that you'll spend months flying around the country checking out residency programs too.

It's not a matter of competition. It's a matter that I don't want Dr. Hobunk in Cardiology at Iowa State teaching me the delicacies of plastics.

And in most cases the relevant licencing committee makes sure that each residency offers quality training.

Most residencies are at academic centers and the reputation of academics is usually based on research rather than technical skill.

FWIW, the top-rated programs on Scutwork.com may be found here.

Wow. I wouldn't put too much faith in that list. I can only speak for Anesthesiology, but I would say only one of those programs, maybe two are actually competitive for top 20.

Disclaimer to the OP: Scutwork contains reviews submitted by residents and sometimes rotating MS4 students. As you can imagine, the accuracy is wildly variable, often floating between disgruntled rants and disingenuous reports of greatness submitted to stimulate the best to apply.

Wow. I wouldn't put too much faith in that list.

Well, no...which is why I said "FWIW" (For What It's Worth)...which isn't much, IMO.

As far as residency rankings are concerned, you might as well ask the Magic 8-Ball. ;)

2.gif

Well, no...which is why I said "FWIW" (For What It's Worth)...which isn't much, IMO.

As far as residency rankings are concerned, you might as well ask the Magic 8-Ball. ;)

2.gif

I figured you understood they weren't worth much, just thought I would comment for others before they jump on that list and start signing up for aways or something. Really, I think a few of those lists could have been improved if they had just randomly selected programs for the top 10.

btw, Brooks Brothers ties...:thumbup:

Wow. I wouldn't put too much faith in that list. I can only speak for Anesthesiology, but I would say only one of those programs, maybe two are actually competitive for top 20.

Disclaimer to the OP: Scutwork contains reviews submitted by residents and sometimes rotating MS4 students. As you can imagine, the accuracy is wildly variable, often floating between disgruntled rants and disingenuous reports of greatness submitted to stimulate the best to apply.

I think your avatar is unique but I think you DO give good advice...

Get yourself a mentor who is one of your school's big shots in your desired field of specialty. Ask him which programs are good versus malignant. That is the best source you are going to get. The days of published rankings lists end with pre-allo. Word of mouth from here on in.

Cheeky response:

Your butt.

Pull the rankings out of your butt. It seems that's what everyone else here does. You will find no consensus on this issue, so don't put any faith into any list you see. Unlike med schools, which some believe can be ranked, residency programs are like jobs. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks but you.

This isn't true. In almost every field of medicine there are top residencies, and they can give you more opportunities coming out. The issue is, of course, that only the people in that field know what they are. If you ask those people you tend to get the same answers over and over again (and it's never just the "standard names" like Harvard; you've probably never heard of Bascom Eye Institute, but I can guarantee every ophtho has).

But you don't need to know what they are until 4th year because it doesn't matter before then. Provided you destroy step 1 and such, THEN you can figure out whether you want JHU or MGH.

This isn't true.

OK, maybe my post was only half true. I stand by the assertion that any list generated is subect to the whims of the person creating the list. There is absolutely no useful objective measure than can stratify the top 30 programs. As much as people may want to believe in the prestigious names associated with certain programs, it often doesn't indicate a supportive environment for the resident. Sure, you can go to the programs with the associated big names that wrote whatever textbook, but you may get treated like crap.

The point of my post was to educate this young med student that residency selection should be based on more than any rank list found. More often than not, it comes down to a *feeling* about the place when you walk in. Do you like the people you meet? Are there sufficient clinical experiences? Is there a good network for jobs/fellowships when you graduate?

I certainly agree that any student should discuss residency programs with an advisor. I also agree that you can separate them into tiers, but that's where ranking should stop. The other problem with these lists is that they tend to be too static. Residency programs change quite freuqently. PDs, Chairmen, etc.