More LOR issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diamondbum

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As we can begin submitting our ERAS applications here in a few hours I find myself in a bit of a predicament. I have three, what I believe to be pretty good, LORs. One EM (director), one IM, and one Surg. However, many programs would like to see 2 EM LORs. I have another one from a fairly well known EP, but unfortunately it won't be submitted for at least a month. The rest of my application looks pretty good, but I know that that second letter would help me out a bunch. My question is: Would including a good letter from a big shot EP be worth postponing the completion of my application by a month?

Thanks for helping a newbie, and recent convert to the wonderful world of EM out.

Members don't see this ad.

As we can begin submitting our ERAS applications here in a few hours I find myself in a bit of a predicament. I have three, what I believe to be pretty good, LORs. One EM (director), one IM, and one Surg. However, many programs would like to see 2 EM LORs. I have another one from a fairly well known EP, but unfortunately it won't be submitted for at least a month. The rest of my application looks pretty good, but I know that that second letter would help me out a bunch. My question is: Would including a good letter from a big shot EP be worth postponing the completion of my application by a month?

Thanks for helping a newbie, and recent convert to the wonderful world of EM out.

this early i think you can probably wait without much problem.

I'm in the same situation. I won't have my SLOR from my out rotation for at least a month and a half. In fact, I'm going to call my school today but last time I checked I only have two LORs in and neither are from my EM rotations. Looks like I'm going to have a pretty bare application until November.

I was under the impression that it was best just to submit what you have now and continue to update your application as things come in. How much do the programs need to start sending out interview requests? Is November getting too late?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you send out your eras and list your letter writer? I have heard you can submit your application and then have certain components (i.e. SLORs) make their way into the app later. Is this true or do program directors prefer everything to be in the file at the same time?

Thanks,

I'm in the same situation. I won't have my SLOR from my out rotation for at least a month and a half. In fact, I'm going to call my school today but last time I checked I only have two LORs in and neither are from my EM rotations. Looks like I'm going to have a pretty bare application until November.

I was under the impression that it was best just to submit what you have now and continue to update your application as things come in. How much do the programs need to start sending out interview requests? Is November getting too late?

Word to the post above. I submitted today without all of my SLORs. I was told to submit early- at least they can see my USMLEs, PS, Honors, etc, and they will get my SLORs as they re-upload stuff.

I am waiting to submit my transcript until it has my second ED rotation on it so that grade will be on there when programs upload. That's the only thing I am specifically waiting for.

I was told that I could resubmit my transcript as new grades get added, so I could submit now and update the transcript when EM grades come in.

How much do the programs need to start sending out interview requests? Is November getting too late?

It varies. I will offer an interview for a sterling app with a SLOR, a transcript, a PS and the MLE 1. Most however will have to wait until I see the Dean's letter (that is after Nov 1st release date).

I gather there are PDs who wait until after Nov 1st for all offers.

Last year was the first year I was on SDN. I was amazed at the angst all the way through Sept and Oct, which then got better in Nov. Relax and enjoy the ride. It's gonna be all right. More than 90% of you will get a program, mostly at your first choice.

Along those lines, today is the first day the post office is open. I got more than 100 documents for 19 applicants. I didn't bother to review them since none had their MLE or COMLEX scores yet.

So get it done and update as you can, but early November is not too late. I usually look at new apps as late as mid December. And while programs may say they are out of interview slots in Nov-Dec, people start canceling when they think they've got too many interviews, and slots open back up.

Where in the ERAS app form does it mention releasing transcripts? And how can I chose to re-release it once more grades come in?