more rank list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedslover2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm trying to decide on stanford vs UCSF vs baylor vs cinci

I'm looking to go into subspecialty peds and work in academics

stanford- feel like I get best research experience with great subspecialty but mediocre gen peds training, hate living in suburb
UCSF- great research and training but living in SF seems like a huge headache
baylor- have ties to area, seems like good all around training but not quite as prestigious as other programs or as good research
Cinci- program great all around training, good research, crappy city

Any input?

Members don't see this ad.

I go to Stanford and I'm admittedly biased. You get awesome experience with complicated kids (for instance, we do more solid organ transplants in kids here than anywhere else in the country) here and great subspecialty exposure with huge research infrastructure. We also get great bread and butter inpatient and outpatient Peds training at our county hospital. I like the area but it's not a city. Our gen Peds (at least at the primary resident clinic) is not great, but I came here knowing I didn't want to do gen Peds. Baylor and Cinci I didn't interview at but I hear great things about them.

UCSF: the only reason I would even think about going there over Stanford is if you know you want to do primary care AND you MUST live in SF (although some of my co-residents do live In SF and drive the 30 minutes in every day). I would also say there are many places with a reasonable cost of living that will give you excellent gen Peds training.

For you, I'd make UCSF #4 and decide based on other factors how you want to organize the other 3.

Frankly, I'm not sure why you think Baylor isn't prestigious. From what I hear it's a huge children's hospital with lots of pathology and solid research and if you have family in the area it might be the right place for you. From what I know about Baylor it doesn't sound like it will hold you back in any way from a future career in subspecialty pediatrics. In general, I think we put a little too much emphasis on prestige and not quite enough emphasis on the individual pluses and minuses of each program that make them better or worse fits for individual applicants. You'll get great training of at any of the programs you've listed so you should figure out what place had the best vibe for you and where you'll be happiest, aside from the small academic differences.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

baylor- [...] not quite as prestigious as other programs or as good research

Really? I'm not sure where you're from or if you're looking for something very specific, but everyone I've talked to about academic peds and research basically says Boston/CHOP/Cinci/Baylor in the same breath...

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above posters. Texas children's hospital is if anything more prestigious than Stanford and UCSF in the peds world and is on the level of CHOP and BCH when comparing research resources. I also agree that when you are debating these top programs you have to look past prestige, because the difference in names really won't have any impact on your future.

Thanks for the help so far guys. I don't know if it has something to do with my school, but every attending/advisor I've talked to doesn't seem to think highly of baylor. I've often been told, "why go to baylor, try instead for *insert Uwash, cinci, UCSF, stanford here*". Do you guys think this impression is wrong? These schools are close enough to me that even this small difference might be a factor I would take into account

Thanks for the help so far guys. I don't know if it has something to do with my school, but every attending/advisor I've talked to doesn't seem to think highly of baylor. I've often been told, "why go to baylor, try instead for *insert Uwash, cinci, UCSF, stanford here*". Do you guys think this impression is wrong? These schools are close enough to me that even this small difference might be a factor I would take into account

Yes. At the BCH interview the chair talked about getting similar experiences at other programs, and then over the next few minutes named CHOP, Cincinnati, Baylor, and Seattle...

I agree with the above poster, however, regarding prestige--go where you feel comfortable. If you like Houston and the people there, go to Houston. I particularly thought their "resident response team" was a unique and thoughtful approach to wellness and crises. If you are uncomfortable with cost of living somewhere, don't go there. I interviewed at the programs listed above and they are currently spread throughout my rank list based on whether I got a good vibe from them. Met with my advisor and talked about, among other things, feeling funny ranking a few so low (like, below my home program) but came out of the meeting more comfortable ranking by my actual preference. Not worth ranking rude and inconsiderate programs high because of perceived fanciness. Now that my list is more "me", I've felt less stressed over the last week and more excited to look more closely at my top 5 programs.

What subspecialties are you considering?

Some factors I would consider when choosing... How well will each program help you get the fellowship you want? Are residents matching into your desired fellowship in programs you would aim for? If you plan on conducting research during residency, which is a not for the faint of heart, you should investigate potential research mentors and see how the options vary. If you will have a strong regional preference for where you want to work after fellowship, going to a residency in this area may make matching into fellowship in this area, and subsequently landing a faculty position in this area, slightly easier. Were there specific differences about the programs themselves that stood out to you as important? Do you have a significant other and how important is location to him/her? If you don't have one, but are searching, then personally, I would rank UCSF first as it would be the best city to be single in. Houston and Palo Alto are likely not bad options either for being single.

Last edited:

I think that impression is wrong.

Take into account what your advisors and everyone else are telling you and do whatever you think is best. It's not like you're choosing between CHOP and miscellaneous, malignant, on probation community Peds program. You could make a reasonable argument for ranking any of the four programs you mentioned #1.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Perceptions may be slightly different on the West Coast, and consider the Bay Area programs more highly, but everywhere else, Baylor is going to be named well before Stanford/UCSF when discussing top programs. Honestly though, despite what grads from those programs will try to tell you, there's practically no difference in those programs in terms of experience. All are big, quaternary/quinternary centers with complicated pathology that are going to be mostly fellow-driven. You'll be fine for fellowship regardless.

If those are your main choices, pick entirely based on city/location and if you fit in with the residents.

Hey guys bit of update:
Thanks to your advice I'm thinking I'm going to be putting Baylor ahead of the other schools I mentioned.

I hadn't mentioned it before but this question was actually for my #3 spot as I was going to put Seattle at #2 and bcrp at #1. Right now I'm think actually putting Baylor at #2 and moving Seattle to #3. I think I'm leaving bcrp at #1 because of the combo of great program and the awesome city that is Boston.

What do you guys think of Seattle children's? I'm thinking it's just a question of whether I would rather live in Houston or Seattle

Hey guys bit of update:
Thanks to your advice I'm thinking I'm going to be putting Baylor ahead of the other schools I mentioned.

I hadn't mentioned it before but this question was actually for my #3 spot as I was going to put Seattle at #2 and bcrp at #1. Right now I'm think actually putting Baylor at #2 and moving Seattle to #3. I think I'm leaving bcrp at #1 because of the combo of great program and the awesome city that is Boston.

What do you guys think of Seattle children's? I'm thinking it's just a question of whether I would rather live in Houston or Seattle
Houston is not a pretty city, Seattle is nicer. Seattle is more expensive, Houston is cheaper. If you like outside activities, then Seattle is better, if you are indifferent, then Houston is more affordable. If you don't mind frequent coastal cloud cover, drizzle and moderate temps, then Seattle. If you don't mind heat, high humidity and thunderstorms/flooding, then Houston.