More SOAP in our future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acstylin

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a thought I’ve been having. I’m only an MS1 but I see a very large # of students wanting to go into competitive fields now (such as ortho) yet most schools match 5-10 (or less) in ortho every year. I was of the thought that as time goes on, students see from their grades and Step scores that they probably wouldn’t match and lean into other fields. Now that most schools are P/F and so is Step 1, will we see a larger number of students applying to competitive fields and failing to match and having to scramble?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
step 2 will be the new benchmark

I see people applying to more back-up specialties, doing gap years to bolster applications, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Everyone keeps saying it’s just going to be step 2. But you take that right before apps go out. If I’ve spent 3 years building the perfect ortho app and done multiple away rotations in it only to wind up with a 40th percentile step 2; I’m still applying ortho. FM, PM&R, etc, will know I’m not really interested in them anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. Everyone keeps saying it’s just going to be step 2. But you take that right before apps go out. If I’ve spent 3 years building the perfect ortho app and done multiple away rotations in it only to wind up with a 40th percentile step 2; I’m still applying ortho. FM, PM&R, etc, will know I’m not really interested in them anyway.
That's what I was thinking too. It may be too late to change course by the time scores come out. Especially since my year will be the first time applying with a p/f Step 1, I'm nervous about the outcome already. I'm not applying to any competitive specialties but the lack of a tried and true process is kind of intimidating.

You better also apply a backup haha CK is going to be used exactly like Step 1 and a 40th percentile would get you screened out at a ton of programs.

I think people are going to start taking CK in the summer after MS3 so they know several months ahead of ERAS whether they can go for the competitive field they had in mind vs switching gears. I doubt that many people will try for surgical subspecialties with below-avg numbers

Reactions: 2 users
Don't take this year into account (mostly). This years cycle was so different and aways were cancelled, etc. Just prep as hard as you can and see what the trends are in a couple years.

You better also apply a backup haha CK is going to be used exactly like Step 1 and a 40th percentile would get you screened out at a ton of programs.

I think people are going to start taking CK in the summer after MS3 so they know several months ahead of ERAS whether they can go for the competitive field they had in mind vs switching gears. I doubt that many people will try for surgical subspecialties with below-avg numbers
Most def. But again even if they do take it in say June, no results until July. You’ve probably already got your aways set up for 4th year. I have no clue how someone would change them all on the fly for whatever backup they decide to pursue.

Silver lining: maybe a small chance that certain fields move away from scores because this starts happening more often.

Most def. But again even if they do take it in say June, no results until July. You’ve probably already got your aways set up for 4th year. I have no clue how someone would change them all on the fly for whatever backup they decide to pursue.

Silver lining: maybe a small chance that certain fields move away from scores because this starts happening more often.
Med schools might shorten their preclinical time even more, too. I think that was already being rolled out at several big-name schools with only 12 months of preclinicals? That would be pretty ideal, let you do all your core rotations and a few electives and take a long CK dedicated, all prior to reaching the end of MS3.

Med schools might shorten their preclinical time even more, too. I think that was already being rolled out at several big-name schools with only 12 months of preclinicals? That would be pretty ideal, let you do all your core rotations and a few electives and take a long CK dedicated, all prior to reaching the end of MS3.
12 months? Gawd that sounds like hell lol