Getting out of SOAP position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SOAPsucks222

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Update: thanks for the advice everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Short answer is no. By participating in the SOAP you took a spot that would've gone to someone else and that spot is now yours. No one is letting you out of it (certainly not the program), and even asking would likely constitute a match violation. A match violation precludes a research year.

I'm sorry this happened, but the silver lining is that by not doing anything drastic and instead focusing on doing as well as you can for the next year, you can always go through the proper channels and attempt to switch specialties (if that is your goal) officially next year.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You SOAPed and are bound at this point. If you try to get out of it you risk a match violation which could bar you from the Match for a year. I think you can request a waiver from NRMP but they review those on a case by case basis. I'd probably contact them and ask them what your options are otherwise wait until next year and try to switch specialties if EM isn't your forte.

Reactions: 6 users
It will be up to you (we don't know the specialty specifics here), but here is some information:

Short answer though is, as mrbreakfast stated, you're in a binding agreement here. Just the same, programs don't decide that they found a 'better' person and tell a candidate 'we're not going to take you now, we found someone else'. Granted programs can likely better handle someone not attending their program vs the other way around where an individual is out in the cold (if a program would say we don't want you anymore before you even start). However, an agreement is an agreement here.

Reactions: 2 users
I've merged your duplicate threads.

You are bound by the match agreement and need to complete at least 45 days at your matched program. @Dral has provided great links here. In order to get out of this agreement, you would need to provide proof to the NRMP that being bound to your SOAP position would cause you "unanticipated, serious, and extreme hardship" in order to get a waiver. Changes based on specialty alone need to have the application in by 1/15, so essentially only applies for advanced PGY-2 positions like anesthesia--so simply wishing you hadn't matched EM isn't going to count. EVEN IF your new PD were to want to release you from your commitment, they can't--you still have to get an NRMP waiver. See the formal policy for requesting a waiver: https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/2021.12.7-Waiver-Policy-Final.pdf . Failure to get a waiver will result in a match violation. Based on what you have provided here it doesn't sound like your waiver request would be successful, though you are of course always able to give it a shot if you're willing to tick off your new program.

It sucks, but not everyone gets their preferred specialty. This is always a risk in the match process, particularly for a competitive specialty, and this is why the number 1 advice I give people is to figure out what your plan is in the doomsday scenario JUST IN CASE you don't match. If the answer is SOAP, great. If you answer is that you would want to do a research year and try again, then you need to know that is a possibility and stick to your guns heading into match week--figuring that out on the fly is almost always a recipe for making a rushed decision that you may later regret.

• Love
Just to add two things:

Try not to aggravate your current program. If you want to switch specialties next year, you will need the full support of your current program. The best way to accomplish this is by giving 110% effort. We occasionally get applicants trying to switch specialties and their current PD letter is the #1 thing we look at; if a program is seriously considering you they will probably call your current PD to discuss.

This doesn't help OP, but to all the current med students reading, this, I just want to echo the advice that (along with the classic SDN advice to never rank a program at which you wouldn't want to match), every single applicant to the match needs a backup plan, determined before the match. This is doubly true if you're applying to a competitive specialty and triply true if you are a borderline applicant. 1 in 15 US MDs don't match, and based on my own anecdotal experience, 95%+ of those that don't match never even considered that possibility. It's best to have a plan of what to say yes (or no) to before you're on the clock.

• Love
You SOAPed and are bound at this point. If you try to get out of it you risk a match violation which could bar you from the Match for a year. I think you can request a waiver from NRMP but they review those on a case by case basis. I'd probably contact them and ask them what your options are otherwise wait until next year and try to switch specialties if EM isn't your forte.

Thanks for the replies everyone. How long does a match violation last, is it just 1 year?

Thanks for the replies everyone. How long does a match violation last, is it just 1 year?
1-3 years, see sanctions https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/Violations-Policy_Ver.Aug2023.pdf

Realistically, don’t do that. It means you can’t apply until 2025 at the earliest, which would mean you start your program 2 years out from your med school graduation. At that point it doesn’t matter what else you have, you’re not matching anything competitive. If you just want to get away from EM, reapply to a less competitive specialty like IM in 2024 during your intern year

Reactions: 1 users
1-3 years, see sanctions https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/Violations-Policy_Ver.Aug2023.pdf

Realistically, don’t do that. It means you can’t apply until 2025 at the earliest, which would mean you start your program 2 years out from your med school graduation. At that point it doesn’t matter what else you have, you’re not matching anything competitive. If you just want to get away from EM, reapply to a less competitive specialty like IM in 2024 during your intern year

I understand... Since the cycle starts so soon after Intern year starts, when do I tell my PD I'm applying to something else? Is it recommended to send a LOR from your PD to the programs you apply?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
This is your last chance to practice medicine. Stop messing it up.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
I understand... Since the cycle starts so soon after Intern year starts, when do I tell my PD I'm applying to something else? Is it recommended to send a LOR from your PD to the programs you apply?
Yes you will need a PD letter

My advice would be give the first 45 days your best honest shot. If after that time you are still 100% against continuing in EM, that is when I would consider approaching your PD.

How long does a match violation last, is it just 1 year?
I don't think anyone here knows for sure, but based on the few cases I have heard of anecdotally online (so no real evidence), violating the match contract gets you the full 3 years. Equally harmful is that the NRMP (per their guidelines) will get a letter stating what you did attached to your med school file; this may get complicated quickly if this happens before your graduation as your school may not let you graduate. Something similar to this did happen at my med school (a "scarlet letter" acquired in M4 year), and the student in question was told they would not graduate that year, would have to take a LOA before applying to repeat M4 year, and would realistically never match anywhere.

Since the cycle starts so soon after Intern year starts, when do I tell my PD I'm applying to something else? Is it recommended to send a LOR from your PD to the programs you apply?
Do not tell anyone at your program, or at any other program, you are planning to switch specialties until August 15th or later. A PD letter is essentially required. As I noted above, expect programs to reach out to your PD to ask about you.

You should weigh carefully whether you would prefer a) anything other than your current program, including potentially a third, less-competitive specialty, or b) your original specialty of choice, which may be more competitive (I don't know). If you truly want to maximize your chances at getting "back on track" with a strong application, honestly you may want to wait until the 2026 cycle, as a PGY2. Every single person I know who switched specialties into a competitive specialty/program did it as a PGY2; it gives you the opportunity to demonstrate a proven year-plus of strong performance and get an actual good letter from your PD. An extra year may be a small price to pay for the remainder of your career.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
For context, the OP (under a different username) asked a similar question multiple times. Multiple now locked threads with the same questions.

Sorry man, you’re in a tough spot. Match waivers are rare. Do a year and hopefully the research job is still available, or even better, you like doing EM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Indeed, it appears this question has been previously asked and answered. Thus this thread is being closed as well. I have edited out the username for the alternate account, however OP please stop asking the same question in different ways and hoping to hear a different answer.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.