More Than One Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted7807

So, I don't really know how I managed this, but I have received more than one acceptance! My question then is, is it true that I can accept more than one school at a time and then decide by May 15th, or can I only hold one acceptance at a time.

Thanks for any help that you can give! Not surprisingly, the person I talked to at AMCAS didn't know.

Members don't see this ad.

According to the AAMC regulations, you can hold multiple acceptances until May 15th, at which time you must narrow it down to one school.

However, I'm not sure if all the med schools follow this policy. Is it a strict requirement that all med schools MUST follow these guidelines, or is each school free to decide on its own whether or not to follow them?

did you hear from baylor finally??? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
why hold 2 acceptances? i would think that one school is better in your mind than the other, so if you get acceptances at both schools, you will accept at your higher choice. i don't see any other scenario to warrant holding 2 acceptances. maybe fear that one might be a mistake? :eek:

Actually, it really is out of fear that I want to hold two acceptances :) There is one school that I definately prefer, but I don't want to drop the other school until I know for certain that my preferred school has received my acceptance and that all is well.

As for Baylor, nope, still haven't heard. I actually don't think that I will ever hear from them since they were my first interview and I was really nervous and don't think I did too well. But I am sure that you will hear soon Scooby!! Good luck :)

I would suggest holding onto all acceptances until you hear from financial aid.

Holding more than one acceptance is a wise move, if you're concerned about financial aid packages. Most schools don't award finacial aid until the spring. Also you may need more time to think about where you really want to go. However if there are schools that you don't see yourself attending regardless of finacial aid considerations, don't accept, don't be greedy!

Don't hold onto acceptances to places you would never dream of going...i would not hold onto more than 3 schools...especially if i knew i loved one of them a lot more!

Do you hold onto 3 women until you find out which one is a better kisser and which one can provide a better genetic background for your children? :p :p :p :p

Originally posted by baylor21:
•According to the AAMC regulations, you can hold multiple acceptances until May 15th, at which time you must narrow it down to one school.

However, I'm not sure if all the med schools follow this policy. Is it a strict requirement that all med schools MUST follow these guidelines, or is each school free to decide on its own whether or not to follow them?•

The May 15th deadline is a strongly suggested guideline set by AAMC, not necessarily a hard and fast rule. However, nearly all the medical schools follow it to a certain extent. Schools that you applied to know your acceptance status, and they want to finalize their class admissions as quickly as possible -- therefore, if they know a prospective student is holding onto multiple acceptances after May 15th, some schools will start sending letters advising you to choose quickly or risk losing the acceptance at their school. However, if you are waiting on financial aid packages, most schools will extend the "deadline" for a few weeks.

lilycat,

Do schools know WHICH other programs you've been accepted to, or do they just know that you've been accepted to multiple institutions? Do they know the exact number of acceptances you have?

The schools you are accepted at or waitlisted, or still waiting to interview at know all the schools where you are holding acceptances at, at a given time. I think AAMC sends out status reports each month to all the medical schools. So, you can't BS a school you are waitlisted at, telling them you are accepted at X, Y, and Z when that really isn't the case.

In theory, after May 15th, a school that is considering admitting a student from the waitlist is supposed to call the school(s) where the applicant is currently holding acceptance(s) first, to notify the school of their intentions. I don't know how often this actually happens in practice.

The only thing I'm not sure about is if you turn down an acceptance immediately -- I'm not sure if it would appear on the status report or not.