More useful Cell bio? or Microbio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

briansle

Cell A
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I was just wondering which bio class is more useful in dental school?

I'll be taking physiology next semester and have to decided whether to add on Cell biology or Microbiology. Just want to know which one will save me more time in Dental school, (if I even get in)?

Personally I rather take cell bio, cause microbio seems to deal with prokaryotes and other unicellular stuff that I don't see how is related to dental school material. Plus microbio has two labs a week, and cell bio only has a disscussion.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't forget about the the unicellular bacteria that cause caries, that keep Dentists in business, so don't over look the importance of microbiology!

briansle said:
Hi

Personally I rather take cell bio, cause microbio seems to deal with prokaryotes and other unicellular stuff that I don't see how is related to dental school material.

Quite the contrary my friend... take micro.

Members don't see this ad :)
DDSSlave said:
Quite the contrary my friend... take micro.

Take Microbiology. I've taken both in college and been through dental school - Cell Bio has almost no place in dental school whereas Microbio is an entire section on your Part I boards.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely register for micro.

Micro, cell was worthless.

What's the difference between molecular biology and microbiology? :confused:

Edit. I noticed that a lot of schools have cell bio as prerequisite for microbiology. Checked with Brandeis, UMass-Boston, BU and Tufts.

briansle said:
Hi

I'll be taking physiology next semester and have to decided whether to add on Cell biology or Microbiology. Just want to know which one will save me more time in Dental school, (if I even get in)?

Business 101

JMHO
Rob

briansle said:
Hi

Personally I rather take cell bio, cause microbio seems to deal with prokaryotes and other unicellular stuff that I don't see how is related to dental school material. Plus microbio has two labs a week, and cell bio only has a disscussion.

Oh boy! Oh boy! Did my blood ever boil :mad: when I read your remark about microbio not having any correlation to dentistry! ;) Don't get me started...as a former microbiologist ( BSc in "microbiology & immunology) and a newly graduated dentist, I must say that you are DEAD WRONG!!!! Not only are microbes important in the carious process but the list is endless :eek: ...periodontal disease, candidiasis, stomatitis, herpes, HIV, tuberculosis, syphilis, ANUG, and many many many more diseases which are manifested orally and systemically have microbiological causes! However, I won't discredit cellular biology because it is relevant as well but I found my microbiology courses to be absolutely fascinating and was contemplating even undertaking a research career in the field.

A lot of people in dental school found microbiology and immunology to be one of the most challenging courses so I would highly suggest taking it. However, as an undergrad, I found that all the biochemistry courses, genetic courses, histology and cellular biology courses richly contributed to the dentist I am today. Dentistry involves so many of the health sciences . I would suggest simply taking as many of them as possible.

Good luck! :luck:

to be honest, neither. In dental school u will learn it all and not even in great detail. Just do your prereqs and u should be ok.

I'm with Woodsy. Why would you want to sit through the same class twice?It'll be plenty boring the first time around. And pay twice for the same credit?Waste of time and money. Enjoy college and take courses that interest you. You'll never have that opportunity again.

Its not like I want to take these classes,

I have to take upper div bio classes since biology is my major. Therefore, if I have to sit through them, I might as well take courses which will give me an edge in D-school.

Is what Toothcaries says true? Micro is not as important as Cell bio? since its pure memorization? That might be true since some upper classmen I've talked to all say that micro is a pretty easy class.

I'm still going with micro since Griffin04 and DDSSlave seem like they know more about this issue.

briansle said:

I have to take upper div bio classes since biology is my major. Therefore, if I have to sit through them, I might as well take courses which will give me an edge in D-school.

Is what Toothcaries says true? Micro is not as important as Cell bio? since its pure memorization? That might be true since some upper classmen I've talked to all say that micro is a pretty easy class.

I'm still going with micro since Griffin04 and DDSSlave seem like they know more about this issue.

Absolutely MICRO. You'll be glad that u had taken it once you're in d school. I have a BS in Bio, worked 3yrs as a Microbiologist. IMHO micro is more important than Cell bio. Micro also is a big course, 5 credits in d school, generous curve. Score an A will boost up your GPA! Everything is pure memorization! Nothing is a pretty easy class in d school.

These are very important courses (included in 1st national dental board exam) which will make your life easier in d school if you have the time/energy to take them in undergrad:

Human Anatomy and Physiology / Head & Neck Anatomy
Biochemistry
Microbiology
Pathology (don't remember if Undergrad has this course)

Remember, once you have completed the minimum requirements for applying to d school, be very selective in choosing courses in Undergrad so that u can keep your GPA as high as possible. That was my mistake in undergrad.

Cell bio is not an incredibly specific class unto itself. If you have an understanding of Biochem, Mole Bio, and Histology then cell bio is redundant. Cell bio is like a survey class for the more detailed and meaningful classes like biochem, mole bio and histo. Of course, that's just my experience and opinion.

If you need to take some upper level bio classes, I'd recommend in order:
Physiology
Biochem
Micro
Histo
Anatomy (Not incredibly helpful w/o a human cadaver)
Cell Bio

Phys and Biochem are almost musts IMO.

As a practical matter I can tell you there are many more questions on the Nat. Boards regarding micro than simple cell bio. Hope this helps.

toothcaries said:
Woodsy gave the best advice on this thread...

Ahhh, brown-noser :D j/k

The OP needs an upper course to complete his degree so Woodsy's advice was bad, very very bad; damn slacker, just like me :D

briansle said:

lnn2 said:
Absolutely MICRO. You'll be glad that u had taken it once you're in d school. I have a BS in Bio, worked 3yrs as a Microbiologist. IMHO micro is more important than Cell bio. Micro also is a big course, 5 credits in d school, generous curve. Score an A will boost up your GPA! Everything is pure memorization! Nothing is a pretty easy class in d school.

Totally agree with the above and everything else lnn2 posted. All that stuff from cell bio about the JACK-STAT and CASPACE and other nonsense doesn't ever surface in the dental school curriculum. And if it does, you'll probably cover it at a much less level of detail in Biochem anyways.

There are no easy A's in dental school. Use every edge you've got.