DynamicDidactic

Ass of Prof
7+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2010
Status
Psychologist
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Training_and_licensing_of_clinical_psychologists

Most programs in the U.S. are PhD programs that have a strong focus on research and are typically housed in universities. There are fewer programs resulting in a PsyD (doctor of psychology), many of which are in private schools and have a greater focus on treatment.
not surprisingly this is not cited. It should probably read something like:

Most programs in the U.S. are PhD programs that have a strong focus on both treatment and research and are typically housed in universities. There are fewer programs resulting in a PsyD (doctor of psychology), many of which are in private schools and have a greater lesser focus on treatment research. [these should probably be cited with the Vail and Boulder conference].

Mean debt related to doctoral education in clinical psychology currently exceeds $80,000, according to the 2011 Association of Psychology Postdoctoral and Internship Centers (APPIC) match survey, and 44% of graduates accrue over $100,000 in debt.[4]
I feel like this should really include data on the difference in debt from PhD to PsyD.

Just throwing my thoughts out there and wondering what others think

PsychPhDStudent

7+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2009
Status
Post Doc
I like the idea of correcting inaccurate information...as long as we can cite our corrections. :)

Mar 24, 2014
Rural Area Medical Facilty
Status
Psychologist
I thought maybe they could cite the APA so I went there to see how they describe the two degrees.
The PhD is generally regarded as a research degree. Although many professional psychology programs award the PhD degree — especially those in university academic departments — these programs typically have a greater emphasis on producing new knowledge and engaging in research.

The PsyD is a professional degree in psychology (similar to the MD in medicine or a JD in law). Programs conferring the PsyD degree focus heavily on the application of psychological science to provide a service to individuals or groups.
http://www.apa.org/education/grad/faqs.aspx