More Wikipedia Inaccuracies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DynamicDidactic

Still Kickin'
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Training_and_licensing_of_clinical_psychologists

Most programs in the U.S. are PhD programs that have a strong focus on research and are typically housed in universities. There are fewer programs resulting in a PsyD (doctor of psychology), many of which are in private schools and have a greater focus on treatment.
not surprisingly this is not cited. It should probably read something like:

Most programs in the U.S. are PhD programs that have a strong focus on both treatment and research and are typically housed in universities. There are fewer programs resulting in a PsyD (doctor of psychology), many of which are in private schools and have a greater lesser focus on treatment research. [these should probably be cited with the Vail and Boulder conference].

Mean debt related to doctoral education in clinical psychology currently exceeds $80,000, according to the 2011 Association of Psychology Postdoctoral and Internship Centers (APPIC) match survey, and 44% of graduates accrue over $100,000 in debt.[4]
I feel like this should really include data on the difference in debt from PhD to PsyD.

Just throwing my thoughts out there and wondering what others think

Members don't see this ad.

I thought maybe they could cite the APA so I went there to see how they describe the two degrees.
The PhD is generally regarded as a research degree. Although many professional psychology programs award the PhD degree — especially those in university academic departments — these programs typically have a greater emphasis on producing new knowledge and engaging in research.

The PsyD is a professional degree in psychology (similar to the MD in medicine or a JD in law). Programs conferring the PsyD degree focus heavily on the application of psychological science to provide a service to individuals or groups.
http://www.apa.org/education/grad/faqs.aspx

Members don't see this ad :)