Morphine Milligram Equivalent Units

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemony

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing a research project where I have to convert various opioids to morphine equivalent units. I was told I can use the Opioid Medication Dose Conversions calculator off Epocrates, but I'm a little confused and not sure if I'm doing this right.

To convert the narcotic to MME, I am converting everything to morphine PO (mg) and NOT morphine IV (mg)? So...
  • 0.5 mg of IV hydromorphone = 10 MME?
  • fentaNYL 10 mcg/mL intermittent infusion 25 mcg (Dose: 25 mcg Route: IV PUSH) = 7.5 MME?
I don't get what 1 tablet vs. 5 mg vs. 7.5 mg of oxyCODONE-acetaminophen 5-325 mg tablet means.
  • Is 1 tablet of oxyCODONE-acetaminophen 5-325 mg --> 5 mg of oxycodone so 7.5 MME?
  • How many grams of oxycodone are in 5 mg and 7.5 mg of oxyCODONE-acetaminophen 5-325 mg?
Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm doing a research project where I have to convert various opioids to morphine equivalent units. I was told I can use the Opioid Medication Dose Conversions calculator off Epocrates, but I'm a little confused and not sure if I'm doing this right.

To convert the narcotic to MME, I am converting everything to morphine PO (mg) and NOT morphine IV (mg)? So...
  • 0.5 mg of IV hydromorphone = 10 MME?
  • fentaNYL 10 mcg/mL intermittent infusion 25 mcg (Dose: 25 mcg Route: IV PUSH) = 7.5 MME?
I don't get what 1 tablet vs. 5 mg vs. 7.5 mg of oxyCODONE-acetaminophen 5-325 mg tablet means.
  • Is 1 tablet of oxyCODONE-acetaminophen 5-325 mg --> 5 mg of oxycodone so 7.5 MME?
  • How many grams of oxycodone are in 5 mg and 7.5 mg of oxyCODONE-acetaminophen 5-325 mg?
Thank you so much!
Yes 5/325 of oxy/acetaminophen is 5mg oxy paired with 325mg acetaminophen

You just separate the x/325 into the opiate and acetaminophen component. The 5mg/7.5mg/10mg refers to the Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, etc component and the 325mg will refer to the Acetaminophen component.

If you see Oxycodone 5/325 it is 5mg, 7.5/325 is 7.5mg, and 10/325 is 10mg etc.

You will rarely, if ever, see the Acetaminophen component be a number higher than 325mg because this is the toxic component that limits the amount of tabs/pills someone should take in a day. So if someone is requiring higher doses of medication for their pain, whoever is prescribing the medication will eventually increase the opiate component (5mg to 7.5mg to 10mg etc) and the Acetaminophen component will stay constant in each pill/tab. If someone was requiring higher doses and their prescriber just wanted to keep pounding in the opiates they would prescribe a pill/tab with no Acetaminophen in it and the Acetaminophen would be taken separately so it removes the ceiling for the amount of opiate pills they can take in a day to achieve whatever the desired dose is.