Most advantageous ECs to get involved in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tipp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kinds of ECs have you been involved in that you really enjoyed or people seemed most impressed by during interviews? I am taking a gap year, and I'm looking for some things to do this year and next year because I have mostly just focused on school work since transferring last Spring. Anyone have any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Whatever you enjoy. I particularly like volunteering in pediatrics as like a patient pal or through child life as you basically just play with kids. If you like kids this is a great way to go, but make sure what you're doing is actual patient contact and not just sitting at a desk greeting and directing people (as that's boring). Volunteering in the playroom is fun too, but I prefer to meet with kids one on one and do whatever they want to do to make their time more enjoyable instead of trying to balance a lot of kids at once.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work in a group home, taking care of mentally vulnerable adults, as a CNA.
I got an acceptance call on the 16th, and he said that was one of the main reasons that they chose me, he thought that my work experience contributed to the diversity of their class.

In other respects I am not a stellar applicant, avg GPA avg MCAT.

I work in a group home, taking care of mentally vulnerable adults, as a CNA.
I got an acceptance call on the 16th, and he said that was one of the main reasons that they chose me, he thought that my work experience contributed to the diversity of their class.

In other respects I am not a stellar applicant, avg GPA avg MCAT.

How does working in a medical field equal diversity when you're applying to medical school?

Because the super majority of applicants do not have paid medical experience? :idea:

How diverse. He did medical things like all of the other pre-medical students, except he was paid.

what is your guy's feeling on diversity of being a college sports club leader?

Working in a medical field can mean you applied knowledge to succeed in the field usually compared to just shadowing (and being passively involved in the medical process).

You should get in ECs that are productive and interesting to you. You need to have some volunteer, and some clinical experience (so you know what the medical field is about and not applying just because you think it would be cool and wasting your time and the medical schools time). However, the type of volunteer you do is not as important. You should be using your time to positively impact the lives of those around you.

Medical schools want to see you are a well rounded person and can handle the time management of a busy schedule with classes, extra curriculars, and other application necessities. Succeed in being well rounded and in your classes and commitments, and you will convince admissions that you are capable of succeeding in medical school and as a physician.

Working in a medical field can mean you applied knowledge to succeed in the field usually compared to just shadowing (and being passively involved in the medical process).

You should get in ECs that are productive and interesting to you. You need to have some volunteer, and some clinical experience (so you know what the medical field is about and not applying just because you think it would be cool and wasting your time and the medical schools time). However, the type of volunteer you do is not as important. You should be using your time to positively impact the lives of those around you.

Medical schools want to see you are a well rounded person and can handle the time management of a busy schedule with classes, extra curriculars, and other application necessities. Succeed in being well rounded and in your classes and commitments, and you will convince admissions that you are capable of succeeding in medical school and as a physician.

You guys all make good points. I have about 7 months paid medically relevant work (transporter at local hospital) and about 150 hours medical volunteering. I am just looking for something to switch it up a bit and differentiate myself. Thanks for your thoughts.

Something you enjoy and have a genuine passion for, which will shine through during your primary/secondary and interviews.

Rest of the requirements (hospital volunteering shadowing) have to be there also, try to enjoy them as much as you can. It's okay if you don't absolutely love it, just make sure you don't hate it!

How does working in a medical field equal diversity when you're applying to medical school?

Agree. However, I think it's advantageous for an applicant as it provides experience and money (usually a bit more than minimum wage).

for me working in the field was 100x more hands on and involved than volunteering. not to mention putting in 4 to 10 hrs a week as a volunteer doesn't compare to 10 to 12 hr days full time.

Do anything that you like that also would give you some responsibility and accountability. It's not so much about what the mission statement is. It doesn't matter if its research or clubs. It matters if you were in a position of leadership. You know when you are in a leadership position when your opinion matters or when you have been apart of the creation of something novel or you set in motion improvements to some existing program.

Anything you can actually talk about and at least pretend to enjoy. Being a long-time lurker on SDN, I can honestly say that nothing I hear anymore impresses me. When I started medical school, there was not a single thing that anyone did that sounded out of the ordinary. I wonder if LizzyM has been pleasantly surprised by anything in an application lately? :laugh:

But seriously, just do whatever you can talk about, so it doesn't look/sound forced. In fact, if you actually like doing something, then it's even better!

Anything you can actually talk about and at least pretend to enjoy. Being a long-time lurker on SDN, I can honestly say that nothing I hear anymore impresses me. When I started medical school, there was not a single thing that anyone did that sounded out of the ordinary. I wonder if LizzyM has been pleasantly surprised by anything in an application lately? :laugh:

But seriously, just do whatever you can talk about, so it doesn't look/sound forced. In fact, if you actually like doing something, then it's even better!
yeah, I feel like there are so many superstars on SDN. my advisor told me my ECs were strong but after seeing some of the things people do on here I feel like my experiences pale in comparison haha

yeah, I feel like there are so many superstars on SDN. my advisor told me my ECs were strong but after seeing some of the things people do on here I feel like my experiences pale in comparison haha

Yeah I felt the same way... Then I reminded myself that I was non-traditional. :p

I think SDN is not entirely representative of the pre-med population actually applying to medical school. You have a gunner mentality here. It's good because it will push you to better your application, but at the same time it can make you feel lousy. But honestly, I probably could have still gotten in as a traditional student with the same cookie-cutter EC's. I already had well over 100 hours of volunteering which is the "magical" for pre-meds.