Most common cause of bacterial meningitis in 6-60 yr group?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ACE Stimulator

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to FA, N. meningitidis is the mcc in this age group. However, i did a question on UW today, the answer was S. pneumoniae. UW stated that N. meningitidis is the Second most common cause for this age group.

could someone confirm this? thx

Members don't see this ad.

According to FA, N. meningitidis is the mcc in this age group. However, i did a question on UW today, the answer was S. pneumoniae. UW stated that N. meningitidis is the Second most common cause for this age group.

could someone confirm this? thx

I'm not a fan of the 6-60 breakdown and how FA organizes that content

Here's how I see it for bacterial meningitis:
Newborn- Group B strep
Infant to 18- n. mening
18+ - strep pneumo

Rapid Review Path breaks it down this way too (p579)

From UpToDate:

&#8805;1 month and <3 months — Group B Streptococcus (39 percent), gram-negative bacilli (32 percent), S. pneumoniae (14 percent), Neisseria meningitidis (12 percent)

&#8805;3 months and <3 years — S. pneumoniae (45 percent), N. meningitidis (34 percent), Group B Streptococcus (11 percent), gram-negative bacilli (9 percent).

&#8805;3 years and <10 years — S. pneumoniae (47 percent), N. meningitidis (32 percent)

&#8805;10 years and <19 years — N. meningitidis (55 percent)

Adults - S. pneumoniae (51 percent), N. meningitidis (37 percent), L. monocytogenes (4 percent)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a fan of the 6-60 breakdown and how FA organizes that content

Here's how I see it for bacterial meningitis:
Newborn- Group B strep
Infant to 18- n. mening
18+ - strep pneumo

Rapid Review Path breaks it down this way too (p579)
i agree with Depakote. it is the same in Lange- Warren Levinson

Last edited:
Children are now getting the prevnar, so it is hard to say where these statistics are and probably accounts for the wide discrepancy.

gram stain would give the answer away; you are supposed to know the most common bug in each age group

Actually Cliff is right, the real boards almost never have questions like this.....they will almost never ask you "what the most likely cause is..." without giving you some tidbit of evidence pointing to one diagnosis (given that the questions are a paragraph long, they need to fill them up with some info)...They expect you to know concepts in epidemiology and prevalence, but rarely test you directly on prevalence statistics of diseases...I.e. they won't ask you the most common cause of diarrhea as a general question, but might ask you the most common cause in someone on a camping trip, or in a 19 monther in the industrialized world having copious watery diarrhea.

Actually Cliff is right, the real boards almost never have questions like this.....they will almost never ask you "what the most likely cause is..." without giving you some tidbit of evidence pointing to one diagnosis (given that the questions are a paragraph long, they need to fill them up with some info)...They expect you to know concepts in epidemiology and prevalence, but rarely test you directly on prevalence statistics of diseases...I.e. they won't ask you the most common cause of diarrhea as a general question, but might ask you the most common cause in someone on a camping trip, or in a 19 monther in the industrialized world having copious watery diarrhea.

Not all of the questions are a paragraph long. Many people have reported that the questions are just so long, but that was really not the case. Maybe a handful were that long. There was a clinical question about four sentences long where you had to determine what bug was causing pneumonia. You had to look at the clinical signs and symptoms and the patient's age to make the diagnosis; there was no gram stain. On the other hand, there were lotsa micro questions and if you knew the micro in FA pretty well, it was not too hard.

I didn't see anyone mention aseptic vs septic meningitis.

Enteroviruses most common for 6 mos-6 years, discuss?