Most debt after graduating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ckent

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post how much you will owe after graduating here. The person with the most debt wins!
For Me:
30,000 undergraduate debt
120,000 medical school
Total: 150,000

Members don't see this ad.

I lost track!!! I consolidated my loans...I think I have you beat though...

This is an aside, BUT..look!! I am half way to SENIOR member, and just in time as I will have to soon be cured of this SDN Forum addiction and start WORKING for a living.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do we win? I figure if I get in under $225,000, I have done well. (I also will end up with 2 extra degrees. Can I count them?)

WAIT!!! are we including INTEREST???? I can get past the $200,000 too if I defer during residency... AND, yes, WHAT will I WIN???? :)MY DEBTS PAID????

Unfortunately, there is no financial award for winning... Fortunately, the person with the most debt should have no problem with this as he/she clearly does not do things for money :p Keep on posting, any level of debt will be accepted, we can form a debt support group, people with wealthy parents need not apply...

Me: $130,000
My girlfriend: $200,000 med
$20,000 undergrad

Total: $350,000!!!! doh!
:mad:

Hey!!! IS that fair??...combining debts??? Well, if that is the case, let me add to MINE too ;)
And you are right, not in it for the money since Lord knows since I am going into peds, it will take a while to wipe MY slate clean.

Originally posted by kiddiedoc:

And you are right, not in it for the money since Lord knows since I am going into peds, it will take a while to wipe MY slate clean.•

My girlfriend is also going to do peds...why couldn't I fall for someone in cardiothoracic surgery? :D

Hey Scrofula,

The girl for you is Silver Eyes. She is a future cardiothoracic surgeon and actively seeking a companion. Give her a shout.

Check this out: Undergrad: 50K
Grad (masters) 30K
Med 150K
PhD ~80K
Grand total: 310K

What do i get??!!

Originally posted by mnms:
•Check this out: Undergrad: 50K
Grad (masters) 30K
Med 150K
PhD ~80K
Grand total: 310K

What do i get??!!•

You get the Shaggy "Zoiks" Memorial Award for most shocking debt total.

But in terms of debt from just med school alone, just ask the 2005 grads from BU School of MEdicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
so I'm guessing that I have no sympathy for getting my undergrad and 2 masters with zero debt and infact being paid to go to the second masters (PA producing) just isn't going to get any sympathy from the peanut gallery? :cool:

Of course, in return I've traveled the world to lands in no vacation guide and enjoyed uncle sam's cooking a bit too often.... :D

Great Link JD. Did you notice they post the names of those in default as well as there profession. :eek:

The vast majority of those in default seemed to be Chiropractic followed by Dentists.

Oh my god, 162,000,000 dollars are defaulted in student loans. There is no way that we will be able to recover that amount of money.
I betcha a lot of that money was used by students who go to school one year and then start a business or buy a car.

I hate this thread but appreciate it. Why must we have a system of education that, in essence, requires people to become endentured servants to investement bankers in order to be trained to make their contribution to society? As far as I know, American is the only nation who by law has made the system of endentured servitude the system whereby Americans without significant means become educated. I think it is a literal shame on our contry, and needs to be changed.

Ok im a dental student, and I might be one of those dentists that default

Undegrad: 20K
DDS: 240K
Ortho: 90K

Total: 350K + interest

That total is why so many dentists default. Even when you take out the specialty.

The UK recently started charging students for medical school. Most of the house officers (PGY1's) are complaining like mad about their student loans. I asked what their totals were, and was quite surprised- 10-12,000 British pounds (~14-17,000US)! Their starting pay is about equal to the US, but they also receive free housing. Unlike the US, consultants earn approx 60k (90kUS) a year if they work only for the NHS, and don't take on extra responsibilities. GP's earn approx 45K/yr (65kUS).

I am an old timer. Around 1968, it was common to declare bankruptcy on Student Loans. I know many that did. As you know, it is impossible now to do the same. That old timer that you respect, ask them about their Student Loans. J.

Man I couldnt imagine the payment. Thats why a state supported school is an attractive option. When i looked at the lists it was mostly chiropractors at about 45% and then dentists at about 25%. I would think that for dentists the military would be a great option. I will get back to you on the payment on what some people have borrwoed.

Ok if you consolidated with the goverment with 30 year graduated payment at 8.19 interest your payment would be:

100,000=682
150,000=1023
200,000=1365
250,000=1700
300,000=2047
350,000=2400

That is some payment, I can see why people are in default. Maybe hpsp isnt so bad.

I got the loans stacking..
undergrad, masters, and post-bacc add up to $74,000. Medical will be $200,000 for a grand total of $274,000 no counting interest.
How depressing!