Most Embarassing Interview Moments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saw this one on the allopathic forum and thought it'd be great to have one here now that most of us have had a few interviews!

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen a few embarrassing moments. I'll elaborate soon. Gotta feed my twins first, life of a parent.

Reactions: 4 users
Group interview- When asked about the osteopathic philosophy they said "It's like being a chiropractor" ouch. Interviewer responded with "That's a swear word around here"...... Same group interview some applicants phone rang. Not only did the individual take a very long time to shut the ringer off, he pulled out the phone looked to see who it was then proceeded to type on it...... Same interview- When asked about the osteopathic philosophy and what experience they had, the interviewer replied with "I don't know much about the osteopathic philosophy and I've never shadowed a D.O.

At evening social at another interview- guy shows up 15-20 minutes late as the dean is presenting, he walks in girlfriend in tow(unfortunately she was dressed as though she was going to a dance club) the president eyed him all the way to his seat. The next day on interview day he sat down during the presentations like a slob. I half expected him to start scratching his crotch and start yawning. Bye the way, someone fell asleep during this presentation on interview day. I felt bad and wanted the guys next to him to wake him up.

I know I have more

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Group interview- When asked about the osteopathic philosophy they said "It's like being a chiropractor" ouch. Interviewer responded with "That's a swear word around here"...... Same group interview some applicants phone rang. Not only did the individual take a very long time to shut the ringer off, he pulled out the phone looked to see who it was then proceeded to type on it...... Same interview- When asked about the osteopathic philosophy and what experience they had, the interviewer replied with "I don't know much about the osteopathic philosophy and I've never shadowed a D.O.

At evening social at another interview- guy shows up 15-20 minutes late as the dean is presenting, he walks in girlfriend in tow(unfortunately she was dressed as though she was going to a dance club) the president eyed him all the way to his seat. The next day on interview day he sat down during the presentations like a slob. I half expected him to start scratching his crotch and start yawning. Bye the way, someone fell asleep during this presentation on interview day. I felt bad and wanted the guys next to him to wake him up.

I know I have more

Please tell us that was LUCOM.

Reactions: 1 user

I know I have more
Its stories like these that make me think my chances may be higher....haha

Reactions: 13 users
All I gotta say is that group interviews are very very very interesting... Now I know why schools do them...

Reactions: 3 users
First one was at Lecom second was AT still. It would have been funny if it was at LUCOM

Reactions: 1 users
First one was at Lecom second was AT still. It would have been funny if it was at LUCOM

My friend interviewed-

Interviewer: so tell me why you want to go to this school
Friend: well I really like PBL it totally builds toward my study habits and expands...
Interviews: *glare* we use case based learning here

My friend accidentally used the curriculum from another school.

Reactions: 10 users
I've had an interviewee pass wind once. A little toot, for which she immediately said "sorry" and moved on.

I've had one or two people start crying when they talked about something they were passionate about.

Another time this gal flushed a bright red....think Superman's cape.

This has happened a few times:
Me: [gives scenario] "What would you do if..."
Them: Well, I would start to.....um, what was the question"?

The following has happened only 2x in maybe 12+ years:
Me: [asks question]
Him: "Well, Goro, I think that...."
Me: [thinking "That's DR. Goro to you!"]

And one of the worst:
Dr BG: So how does [hobby of interviewee] relate to Medicine?
Him: [Deer in the headlight blank stare, accompanied by pregnant pause] I don't know.

Saw this one on the allopathic forum and thought it'd be great to have one here now that most of us have had a few interviews!

Reactions: 9 users
I've had an interviewee pass wind once. A little toot, for which she immediately said "sorry" and moved on.

I've had one or two people start crying when they talked about something they were passionate about.

Another time this gal flushed a bright red....think Superman's cape.

This has happened a few times:
Me: [gives scenario] "What would you do if..."
Them: Well, I would start to.....um, what was the question"?

The following has happened only 2x in maybe 12+ years:
Me: [asks question]
Me: [thinking "That's DR. Goro to you!"]

And one of the worst:
Dr BG: So how does [hobby of interviewee] relate to Medicine?
Him: [Deer in the headlight blank stare, accompanied by pregnant pause] I don't know.

Hahaha the passing gas is incredible, I hope she was accepted!

But I can't believe students think it's okay to simply say your name with no prefix!

Reactions: 2 users
I asked the interviewers "why they would choose this school". The first interviewer said "cause they offered me a job". I wanted to say "rejected".

Woah. For a second I thought some SDNer had figured you out and used your handle.

What do you think about group interviews...Dr.? ;)

I asked the interviewers "why they would choose this school". The first interviewer said "cause they offered me a job". I wanted to say "rejected".
I came up with a funny analogy:
Interviewer = butcher
Interviewee = a piece of meat
Once the meat is on the cutting board, the butcher can cut it whatever he likes.... LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
Having done 1:1, 2:1, ...n:1 and group, I like group. Since Medicine is a team sport now, I think it's important to see the dynamic people have in groups. The trade off in time/interviewee is worth it. For example, someone who's bored easily, or contemptuous of his/her fellow interviewees, simply could not be picked up with a non-group interview.

Woah. For a second I thought some SDNer had figured you out and used your handle.

What do you think about group interviews...Dr.? ;)

In truth, you have to keep in mind that the interviewee is also interviewing us!

I came up with a funny analogy:
Interviewer = butcher
Interviewee = a piece of meat
Once the meat is on the cutting board, the butcher can cut it whatever he likes.... LOL

Having done 1:1, 2:1, ...n:1 and group, I like group. Since Medicine is a team sport now, I think it's important to see the dynamic people have in groups. The trade off in time/interviewee is worth it. For example, someone who's bored easily, or contemptuous of his/her fellow interviewees, simply could not be picked up with a non-group interview.
This is the impression I get from the notion of group interviews. I think I might actually do well in one. Thanks!

In truth, you have to keep in mind that the interviewee is also interviewing us!
LoL... Reality is butcher is still the butcher, a piece of meat is still a piece of meat. The role can never be changed.
I remember I once asked one of my interviewers a question about the school, and the response was "good question, I dont know the answer..." Eventually, I am still the one who will be evaluated based on my answers and even my questions... So the real essence of an interview belongs to the interviewers ! I wonder if anyone encountered the same situation.

In my interview yesterday I accidentally sat down on the arm of my chair instead of the seat and almost fell on the floor. Do I win?

In my interview yesterday I accidentally sat down on the arm of my chair instead of the seat and almost fell on the floor. Do I win?
Did you exhale really loudly like Napoleon Dynamite?

IF one gets >1 acceptance, then the school is the meat.

LoL... Reality is butcher is still the butcher, a piece of meat is still a piece of meat. The role can never be changed.
I remember I once asked one of my interviewers a question about the school, and the response was "good question, I dont know the answer..." Eventually, I am still the one who will be evaluated based on my answers and even my questions... So the real essence of an interview belongs to the interviewers ! I wonder if anyone encountered the same situation.

The guy interviewing me asked me a personal question (about my family) that resulted in me being thrown off and I cried in front of him...

Yeah... oh well... I was waitlisted....

I had an interviewer continually call me by the wrong name. He kept calling me Brad. I politely corrected him each time but to no avail. Ultimately I was waitlisted.... Maybe they accepted a guy named "Brad".

Reactions: 18 users
By the way. My name sounds nothing like Brad.

Reactions: 8 users
I had an interviewer continually call me by the wrong name. He kept calling me Brad. I politely corrected him each time but to no avail. Ultimately I was waitlisted.... Maybe they accepted a guy named "Brad".
Oh wow that's nuts! Maybe they switched your app with someone else's?

I am glad they didn't call me Brad though!!
That is just amazing that they would call someone the wrong name!

I had a really bad one during my first cycle. I was being interviewed by 2 professors and I didn't know who they were. The 'why DO' question came up and I basically said that I thought MDs cared about their patients less than DOs. One of the interviewers asked me why I felt that way and I said that some of the MDs I shadowed worked like they were on an assembly line without really hearing their patients out. They both gave me kind of dirty looks and the one that asked me didn't speak for the rest of the interview. I found out later that day that he was an MD...yea...

I also had a freakout moment at the interview of the school I'm at now. My interviewer asked me how I thought the role of physicians would change after the ACA was enacted. I said I wasn't sure and felt that I didn't know as much about the ACA as I thought I should, so I asked him what he thought would happen. He then proceeded to give an explanation that matched almost word for word an answer that I gave in a secondary to a very similar question. Problem was I couldn't remember if the secondary was at that school or a different one, so I was having an internal panic attack until we started talking about local food. Turns out the secondary was for a different school, but I seriously felt sick for the rest of my interview...

Reactions: 5 users
To the question "What makes you unique?"

"I don't think there is anything really unique about me" :smack:

I had a really bad one during my first cycle. I was being interviewed by 2 professors and I didn't know who they were. The 'why DO' question came up and I basically said that I thought MDs cared about their patients less than DOs. One of the interviewers asked me why I felt that way and I said that some of the MDs I shadowed worked like they were on an assembly line without really hearing their patients out. They both gave me kind of dirty looks and the one that asked me didn't speak for the rest of the interview. I found out later that day that he was an MD...yea...

I also had a freakout moment at the interview of the school I'm at now. My interviewer asked me how I thought the role of physicians would change after the ACA was enacted. I said I wasn't sure and felt that I didn't know as much about the ACA as I thought I should, so I asked him what he thought would happen. He then proceeded to give an explanation that matched almost word for word an answer that I gave in a secondary to a very similar question. Problem was I couldn't remember if the secondary was at that school or a different one, so I was having an internal panic attack until we started talking about local food. Turns out the secondary was for a different school, but I seriously felt sick for the rest of my interview...

Interviewing is a pain.

At my first interview I was extremely nervous. The interviewer asked about my clinical experiences. Mid sentence my accent came out on the word. I had stop myself.I collected myself and started again with the same word :D. It wasn't bad just a little embarrassing as I don't really have an accent. I know 4 other languages, it happens sometimes I guess haha

At my first interview I was extremely nervous. The interviewer asked about my clinical experiences. Mid sentence my accent came out on the word. I had stop myself.I collected myself and started again with the same word :D. It wasn't bad just a little embarrassing as I don't really have an accent. I know 4 other languages, it happens sometimes I guess haha

That's epic! I think I would have died if you started speaking in another language!

I wonder if anyone has tripped or anything walking into the interview room?

i don't know 4, but i know english and spanish and i find myself doign this from time to time! it's even harder when i was in class or when i'm talking to someone in spanish. when i switch back to english, i sound like a 3 year old lol

I accidentally said another school's name during an interview.

Reactions: 11 users
So, I had very little time to prepare for my first interview. Actually, no time.

First interviewer, first question: "Why osteopathic medicine?"
Me: Ramble, Ramble, "... and maybe osteopathic physicians make better primary care physicians..." Doh!
Interviewer: "Well, I'm not a D.O...."

He was an M.D.

imgres.jpg

Oh, yeah - REJECTED.

When I interviewed at a school I was asked what else besides googling about DOs have I done. I tell him that I have shadowed DOs and read the book "The DOs". He proceeded to ask about who the author was and his story. Which I could barley remember the authors name but knew nothing about his story other then he is a professor of history at some Midwest medical school. He then proceeded to berate me about not knowing the details and how important it is as a physician to know the details. The rest of the interview I was afraid that another answer would bring on another rant about what I don't know.

When I interviewed at a school I was asked what else besides googling about DOs have I done. I tell him that I have shadowed DOs and read the book "The DOs". He proceeded to ask about who the author was and his story. Which I could barley remember the authors name but knew nothing about his story other then he is a professor of history at some Midwest medical school. He then proceeded to berate me about not knowing the details and how important it is as a physician to know the details. The rest of the interview I was afraid that another answer would bring on another rant about what I don't know.

Oomph that sounds harsh! Still awaiting the results from that school?

No I was wait listed. No biggie, not really in a location that I really wanted to be for four years. Just glad that I had other interviews and acceptances and didn't have to wait to see if that horrible interview went away.

I have seen people bring parents with them to the interviews. Really are they going to school with you too? Cut the cord. It can't be good for the interview.

No I was wait listed. No biggie, not really in a location that I really wanted to be for four years. Just glad that I had other interviews and acceptances and didn't have to wait to see if that horrible interview went away.

I have seen people bring parents with them to the interviews. Really are they going to school with you too? Cut the cord. It can't be good for the interview.
I've actually seen this quite a bit as well. Crazy

WHYYY does that happen? lol that is so concerning. i wouldn't even bring my wife if i was married and she would be way more impacted than my parents ever would. so ridiculous that people do that lol.

i think it was gyngyn that said someone brought a nasty-looking pink jansport backpack with them to their interview.

Lol, what's the point of knowing all that, anyway? You read the book for its content, not its author.
Love the profile pic, btw.

I just did a mock interview with someone and our conversation led to his confession that he was going with his dad to said city. I asked him if he was going to the interview and he hesitated and said no but had the "what's wrong with that" look on his face.

Lol, what's the point of knowing all that, anyway? You read the book for its content, not its author.
Love the profile pic, btw.

Maybe for a fiction book, that will suffice. But for non-fiction, it is absolutely important to know who the author is, what their qualifications are, and where they are getting their information from.

WHYYY does that happen? lol that is so concerning. i wouldn't even bring my wife if i was married and she would be way more impacted than my parents ever would. so ridiculous that people do that lol.

i think it was gyngyn that said someone brought a nasty-looking pink jansport backpack with them to their interview.
Agreed, I am married and there was no way I was bringing my wife to my interview. If she had off, to check out said city yes but not to an interview.

Maybe for a fiction book, that will suffice. But for non-fiction, it is absolutely important to know who the author is, what their qualifications are, and where they are getting their information from.
Do you research the authors of your biology text book? No. I agree knowing his name and where he works is meaningful, but interrogating a guy about finer details is silly.

Do you research the authors of your biology text book? No. I agree knowing his name and where he works is meaningful, but interrogating a guy about finer details is silly.

agreed. seems like overkill on the interviewer's behalf.

No, I do not research the authors of my textbooks. "The DOs" is not a textbook. Yes, I research the authors of the non-fiction books I read during my free time.

In the prologue of "The DOs" Gevitz actually details how he learned about DOs and what inspired him to write the book. That's probably the "story" the interviewer asked about. Is it a rough question? I'd say so. But I imagine he's heard that reasoning to the why DO question often ("I read this book"). Perhaps this is his way of discerning who actually read the book and were hooked by it from those who skimmed through it briefly to get a better idea of what to say in an interview when asked "Why DO?" I don't know for sure; it's just a guess. Regardless, I don't think it's an unfair question when "the finer details" needed to answer it are explained right at the beginning of the book.

I loved my group interview at LECOM. Absolutely killed it- they were asking lots of questions about Medicare, the ACA, etc, and I was the only person at the table with a clue of how the laws and reimbursement and such actually worked. It was very interesting- you could point out exactly who was getting accepted and who wasn't by the end of it.

Reactions: 6 users