Most Embarassing Interview Moments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had an interview few years ago.. Small one inside a room seated at one table with my fellow applicants.
DO school, so for some reason, people were literally trying to 1 up other people's hometowns to see who was from the most rural place.

Then later out of nowhere( I think we were discussing life paths or college majors) this guy says in a thick midwesterny accent ," I'm a senior on the road less traveled." If I was an adcom I would have accepted that guy right away for being unique!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I had an interview where they had a group activity discussing surviving in the desert with only items typically found in your car after an interview. They went around the group and asked what item everyone thought was the most important. Most people chose the water bottle, map or knife. I went last and picked the CD for signaling. They then revealed that the experts picked the CD as the most valuable item which caused me to blurt out, "oh yeah, you can tell this guy has watched some Bear Grylls!"

I'm not really embarrassed I did it however I really had no desire to attend that school anyway after getting an acceptance the day before to my #1 so I was just relaxed about the whole thing lol.

Reactions: 1 users
When asked about who I looked up to, I said a moderately famous pickup artist. I did specify that he actually focused on personal development and working on empathy and other interpersonal skills, but in hindsight, it may have been better not not specifically go "_______, a pickup artist." -.-
what pickup artist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at your history, you were there where it happened at.

lol, i cant think of anyone cursing, on my group interview at bradenton, i accidently might have said "half-assed," but I dont view that as a curse, or in a negative way, I dont think they even notices. But regardless, I was still accepted!! But I dont remember anyone cursing like or what not!

lol, i cant think of anyone cursing, on my group interview at bradenton, i accidently might have said "half-assed," but I dont view that as a curse, or in a negative way, I dont think they even notices. But regardless, I was still accepted!! But I dont remember anyone cursing like or what not!
Congratulations, and yes I was thinking of you! I'm so happy for you!

I had one a couple weeks ago...

Interviewer was giving me very vague lifestyle/ethical questions, I had already answered several successfully and then..
Interviewer: What are you going to do when you sit down for a family dinner and your 14 year old daughter looks at the strange woman at the other end of the table like.. and makes a kind of confused face
Me: (Thinking he was asking me what I would do if my daughter was a lesbian): Starts talking about how I am very open to all lifestyle choices, blah blah blah

Interviewer: YOU ARE OPEN TO GETTING A DIVORCE AND HAVING YOUR CHILD RAISED BY ANOTHER WOMAN!?!
then the interview abruptly ended because it was time for my next interview so no chance to explain the confusion

Probably my two worst interview moments were getting schooled by an immunologist after I said something about parents of male middle schoolers having the right to reject the HPV vaccine. He spent the next 10 minutes explaining to me why I was wrong, and why the US is at risk for major outbreaks due to our stance on vaccination freedom. Did not get into that school, but I did learn a bit and began to change how I felt about vaccines and parental choice.

The other embarrassing interview moment I had was miscalculating how bad the morning traffic would be and showing up late, while the admissions director was introducing himself and giving us a quick rundown of the day. Ended up getting in to that one, though, so it worked out.

1st interview at a place well-known for its peanuts. Last one in my group to interview. DO Interviewer was pleasant, the PhD, not so much. As we sit down, I can see my AACOMAS in her hand with big orange highlighter on my yes answer to my criminal record. Joy. She starts in on the standard interview questions with one of the best poker faces I've seen this side of the WSOP. I get hit with one I knew was coming: "So, what are 3 things that are going to affect healthcare". I talked about tort reform, the ACA, and rising malpractice costs and the effect on physician specialty recruitment. Next thing I know, I'm babbling about how several docs have tried to talk me out of med school, telling me I was crazy, etc. After a couple of minutes, I realized what I was doing and reeled it back in. Crickets and blank stares from both interviewers...Finally, the DO goes "So, I was in the Navy, I see you were in the Army, what did you do?" Outcome-Rejected.

My last interview starts out with the Dean saying "Well, you know it's coming, tell us about your criminal record". Not a big deal, I had to meet with him and talk about it prior to them offering me an interview. While I was describing my sordid tales of misdemeanor, 21 year old me stupidity, one interviewer couldn't control herself. Mouth agape, staring at me, with occasional gasps and head shakes. Normally, it doesn't bother me to talk about it. I felt like crawling under the table this time. The rest of the interview went well, good enough for an acceptance.

1st interview at a place well-known for its peanuts. Last one in my group to interview. DO Interviewer was pleasant, the PhD, not so much. As we sit down, I can see my AACOMAS in her hand with big orange highlighter on my yes answer to my criminal record. Joy. She starts in on the standard interview questions with one of the best poker faces I've seen this side of the WSOP. I get hit with one I knew was coming: "So, what are 3 things that are going to affect healthcare". I talked about tort reform, the ACA, and rising malpractice costs and the effect on physician specialty recruitment. Next thing I know, I'm babbling about how several docs have tried to talk me out of med school, telling me I was crazy, etc. After a couple of minutes, I realized what I was doing and reeled it back in. Crickets and blank stares from both interviewers...Finally, the DO goes "So, I was in the Navy, I see you were in the Army, what did you do?" Outcome-Rejected.

My last interview starts out with the Dean saying "Well, you know it's coming, tell us about your criminal record". Not a big deal, I had to meet with him and talk about it prior to them offering me an interview. While I was describing my sordid tales of misdemeanor, 21 year old me stupidity, one interviewer couldn't control herself. Mouth agape, staring at me, with occasional gasps and head shakes. Normally, it doesn't bother me to talk about it. I felt like crawling under the table this time. The rest of the interview went well, good enough for an acceptance.

Wow, do you mind telling us about what you did? Whatever it was, I doubt it was anywhere near bad enough to warrant gasps. Was she a physician? If so, she should have definitely seen/heard worse than anything you could have had to say.

story time!

Wow, do you mind telling us about what you did? Whatever it was, I doubt it was anywhere near bad enough to warrant gasps. Was she a physician? If so, she should have definitely seen/heard worse than anything you could have had to say.

Yep, she was a physician.

story time!

This was in '98. I was 21, just out of Army Basic and AIT for the National Guard. I had come home for the weekend and was hanging out with my mother and 3 half-sisters. She was the "cool mom" and wanted to throw a party for them and their friends. So, I drove her to the liquor store. When it came time to pay, she didn't have her ID, so I showed them mine. A couple hours in, the cops show up, make us pour whats left out, and start arresting adults. They didn't arrest me at first (interesting twist: They knew me from being a Police Explorer), then after they watched the surveillance from the liquor store, I was arrested and charged with Knowingly Furnishing to a Minor. Stayed in jail just long enough to make bail, did some community service, and paid a fine. A couple of years later, married, and living in a different part of the state, I got a couple of misdemeanor "Hot Check" charges. The town made it's money by advertising it's PD as a collection agency. If a check bounced, they would send it to the PD instead of a collection agency. You get a card in the mail that says "Pay xyz fines and restitution or we'll come and arrest you"- they don't tell you that you're actually pleading guilty to a criminal charge. I used to deal with them as a medic, they'd snatch someone in the middle of the night and not let them get their medicine, we'd get called for the inevitable chest pain, diabetic emergency, even a guy with a DVT. Then have to go 10 rounds with the jailer to let us take them to the hospital.

Moral of the story: Don't buy booze for underage kids (even if a couple are family) and always keep your checkbook balanced!

Members don't see this ad :)
i just cant believe how silly some of these people act

I had an interview where they had a group activity discussing surviving in the desert with only items typically found in your car after an interview. They went around the group and asked what item everyone thought was the most important. Most people chose the water bottle, map or knife. I went last and picked the CD for signaling. They then revealed that the experts picked the CD as the most valuable item which caused me to blurt out, "oh yeah, you can tell this guy has watched some Bear Grylls!"

I'm not really embarrassed I did it however I really had no desire to attend that school anyway after getting an acceptance the day before to my #1 so I was just relaxed about the whole thing lol.

What the hell were you thinking?

What the hell were you thinking?
I already knew I wasn't attending that school and I was going to my #1 choice so I decided to just relax and have fun! That was just my instant reaction lol.

I dont have a funny interview moment....... but at the airport........

I was checking in and was asked to show my ID.
I handed my credit card.
The clerk gave me a serious face and asked again....."Sir, I asked for an ID."
I apologized and dug into my pockets. I gave him a card.
The clerk looked at me and said," Sir, this is the same credit card as before."
GAWD.....Im so stupid...... The last thing I said before proceeding,"I swear I'm sober." lol

Reactions: 9 users

I handed my credit card.
GAWD.....Im so stupid...... The last thing I said before proceeding,"I swear I'm sober." lol
you're lucky TSA didn't tackle you and tase you

Reactions: 4 users

I handed my credit card.
Oh jeez LOL

After several MMI stations I had my one-on-one interview. It was about 20 min long and I had been sitting with my ankles crossed since I was wearing a skirt. Between the crossed ankles and the stilettos my right foot went completely numb. Unfortunately I didn't notice until I stood up after the interview. I practically fell out of the office.....

Reactions: 2 users
During an interview I cried when asked about a long-term patient of mine in my day job who had recently passed away. I was sure the panel would assume I was emotionally unstable and that I was toast. Result: ACCEPTED!

Now that I have participated in a couple of these things (including the dreaded group interview) I have a lot of these stories about other folks, but feel like it would just be mean to post them.

Probably my two worst interview moments were getting schooled by an immunologist after I said something about parents of male middle schoolers having the right to reject the HPV vaccine. He spent the next 10 minutes explaining to me why I was wrong, and why the US is at risk for major outbreaks due to our stance on vaccination freedom. Did not get into that school, but I did learn a bit and began to change how I felt about vaccines and parental choice.

The other embarrassing interview moment I had was miscalculating how bad the morning traffic would be and showing up late, while the admissions director was introducing himself and giving us a quick rundown of the day. Ended up getting in to that one, though, so it worked out.

Was the showing up late at BCOM by any chance?